#101 openroad

openroad

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 175 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:42 pm

QUOTE(Margus @ Sat 31st Mar 2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That little droplet on WD40 would'nt do that.

i know now. it was too much fuel i had to adjust the fuel mixture screw. it dropped the revs down a bit. but i didn't do it enough and it still clogging the spark plugs with black carbon petrol smelling powder. so tried to adjust them again and i've only gone and rounded the head on one of the mixture screw. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. so got to take the bloody carbs off and try and get the screw out. i'm not having much luck with this bike. it Definitely a T.D.M (Tedious, Dammed, Machine) but i love it. so now i got to wait for a new screw to be delivered also my threaded remover bits. has anyone used one of these remover. its like a reverse cork screw. or does anyone know of a different way of getting the bloody screw out i can't grab it with pilers because it's in a tube.

#102 Jana

Jana

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 62 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:11 am

Would this make a good cheap pump replacement?
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231da835b5

Is what they write about the pressure correct? That 4 - 4.5psi is enough and that too much is not good for a carburated engine?

#103 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:24 pm

Where did you guys buy the relay from? What do you need to know about getting the relay?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

My Website/Blog with Different Project Write Ups

#104 tdmpaul

tdmpaul

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:46 pm

is it a worth while mod ? any one got it fitted lately to a 98 4tx ? be interesting to hear your feedback .

#105 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:23 pm

Where did you guys buy the relay from? What do you need to know about getting the relay?

Looks like the original poster didn't use a relay Alex.

From 1st post.....

Since the fuel pump draws so little current (only .7
amps - measured), I decided not to use a relay as
others have done, and wire it directly into the 10A
fused ignition circuit, (this is how the YZF-R6 is
wired as well).

Next to the battery are two existing relays, the
larger one next to the left frame rail is the safety
interlock relay. A input into this relay is the
ignition circuit, after it has gone thru the kill
switch. This circuit is a 'red/black' wire. I tied
the fuel pump positive line (black/blue) into this
wire. Power is applied to the pump only when the
ignition switch is on and the kill switch is in the
'run' position. I ran the fuel pump negative wire
(black) directly to the negative terminal of the
battery.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#106 Scousebil

Scousebil

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:39 pm

What's the best R1 age range to try and get a pump from for a mk2? I'm thinking of trying to pick one up on ebay and fitting it

#107 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:34 am

Not sure of what age but you need one off an R1 that has carbs fitted. 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#108 Scousebil

Scousebil

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:43 pm

Ok thanks

#109 Leipzig

Leipzig

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:02 pm

Guys,

just got installed new pump. Was annoyed of blowing into gas tank each time when carbs get dry. 

Got it from ebay - cheap and easy chinese product:

http://www.ebay.com/...GB:1120&vxp=mtr

Ordered it last year, but installed only now :) Payed 50 buks.

Attaching was rather simple. Just needed to get fuel line adapters from 10mm pump size to 8mm line size. One wire soldered into flasher relay brown wire that was located near to accu and another one connected to minus on battery. Decided to go without extra relay. With few plastic fasteners attached the pump to frame where old pump stayed. Will check later if some more solid construction should be made.  

The pump itself is the same vacuum pump, but driven by some electric motor. When it pumps the pressure into carbs it just stalls unitl bike is running and it works again. 

No more any plastic coke bottles are needed  :tup:  :D :D

#110 clocklaw

clocklaw

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:13 pm

Guys, I am tagging onto this thread, I am going to do this conversion for my Ginger in a couple of weeks.

2005 FJR1300 - "My Blue Angel"

1992 TDM850 - "Ginger"

1993 TDM850 - "Raven"

twins2_zpsc6932869.jpg

#111 TDMinne

TDMinne

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:37 pm

I'm going to hop on board as well. Got a '92 whose problems seems to fit the bill exactly. The electrical part of the process has me a little spooked...

#112 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:58 am

I'm going to hop on board as well. Got a '92 whose problems seems to fit the bill exactly. The electrical part of the process has me a little spooked...

I have a fuel pump if you dont yet have one...its quite easy to do, just print off the guide and take your time

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#113 clocklaw

clocklaw

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:30 pm

I just ordered a new 99 R6 Fuel Pump from my dealer....that is a spendy little item for sure. It's on for this weekend, the electrical doesn't scare me, only getting the right fuel pump so I can make it happen. I have the relay and a fuse block....just need a good lead to tap into for the switched power....any suggestions?

I'll be going through the carbs and installing the Factory Pro emulsion tubes while I'm in there, maybe a quick valve check too if I can get it done in the day.

I have a fuel pump if you dont yet have one...its quite easy to do, just print off the guide and take your time

1992 TDM850 - "Ginger"

1993 TDM850 - "Raven"

twins2_zpsc6932869.jpg

#114 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:34 pm

I didnt bother with a relay I just did it as per Guiness, and it worked great :)

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#115 clocklaw

clocklaw

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:22 pm

Fitted everything up this last Saturday and it works like a champ. I still need to wrap up the wiring and hard mount the pump. How have you all mounted your pump to the bike? Build some sort of cradle or just strap it down or what?

1992 TDM850 - "Ginger"

1993 TDM850 - "Raven"

twins2_zpsc6932869.jpg

#116 bigmick1981

bigmick1981

really likes Carpe

• 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:06 am

Not received my pump but have a r6 pump on way so nipped out yesterday and got a 4 connection relay , wire , in line fuse holder and a online fuel filter. In an effort to make this as painless as possible does anyone know off hand the fuel pumps wiring color for + and - feeds . Cheers folks

Edited by bigmick1981, 29 August 2014 - 07:44 am.

#117 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:50 am

I have a Mk 2a with an electric pump which failed on me once and I replaced. Then I read on this forum that the points stick and it just needs a knock.
Anyway I am going to fit one to my Gilera VXR 200 scooter because after standing it takes time to prime and a leccy pump should cure it.

#118 bigmick1981

bigmick1981

really likes Carpe

• 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:34 pm

Sigh ..... ha ha

so fitted my r6 pump today and it was a piece of cake , relay wired through engine kill switch . Ignition on , switch kill switch to run and it clicks into life.

Then the water world attraction of carbs kick in ha ha petrol flowing from every where , disconnect the pump outlet and cover it with my finger but it keeps on pumping.

does this mean I have the wrong pump or something ? Do these have a serviceable pressure cut off ?

#119 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:14 pm

My experience with FZR / ThunderAce fuel pumps, is that they supply only when the tiny amount of back pressure provided by the float valves drops or when first priming when the ignition is turned on.

Placing your finger over the outlet pipe should have been sufficient to cause the pump to stop supplying fuel, until you removed your finger again.

You haven't bought a pump designed to supply a fuel injection system have you?

#120 bigmick1981

bigmick1981

really likes Carpe

• 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:13 pm

My experience with FZR / ThunderAce fuel pumps, is that they supply only when the tiny amount of back pressure provided by the float valves drops or when first priming when the ignition is turned on.
Placing your finger over the outlet pipe should have been sufficient to cause the pump to stop supplying fuel, until you removed your finger again.
You haven't bought a pump designed to supply a fuel injection system have you?

Fella sold it says it's from a carb powered r6 but left all wiring in place then refitted the manual pump, maybe see if I can find a pump with a cut off as this one definitely doesn't cut off when blocking the outlet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users