• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 parttimer

parttimer

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:39 pm

Hi, new member here.  Apologies if I've broken protocol by asking a question as my first post, or if I've posted in the wrong section.

I've got a 05 900 and am in need of the bottom bit of the left hand front forkleg - same side as the gear pedal (don't know why I want to put front!?).  TDM forks seem like rocking horse s**t in Huddersfield, BUT there might be some fazer 600 forks which they say will fit.  Does anyone know if they do fit and is it just a straight swap?

Thanks for listening.

Boring bit (about me)

On my second tdm, first was an 850 seven years ago.  When that died, had Vstrom 1000 for a couple of years, which was great at eating the miles up on wide roads.  Got this one 2 years ago.  I ride bikes all year round, apart from summer as one of my mates say, when something usually happens that entails it spending a little time in the garage.  I don't usually modify bikes unless something falls off. Don't mind (mostly) putting petrol in and the occasional bit of oil but ..... I'm a tight yorkshire git. 

My favourite run is Holmfirth-Holme Moss-Glossop-Snake Pass-Strines-Holmfirth.  Takes 2 hrs ish I think - not right sure cos I usually stop 2 or 3 times to contemplate the world or enjoy the scenery.  I also like the Whitby run once I've passed York.

Tried putting things on my profile but couldn't get to grips -will try again tomorrow! 

Used to browse on here when I had my first tdm.  One thing that surprises me is how few tdms I see.  I've seen another blue one in a car park in Hudds but thats the only one I've seen in 2 years.  Haven't been to any events but go to Whitby and Squires cafe every couple of months - see lotsa bikes but no tdms.

Thats all for today.  one of my fingers is getting tired of pressing buttons.

happy riding

Dave

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:12 pm

welcome Dave,

been to squires a few times on mine, but tend to ride all over the place.

you meet the nicest person on a TDM :good:

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:53 pm

Hello dare and welcome.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:49 am

Welcome to the club.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:07 am

Welcome Dave

As far as I know there is a couple of us TDM guys near you

Big Dave I think is Colne Valley and I am near Meltham (I thinks Dave's bike could be dark blue as well)

This picture was taken on the Pickering to Whitby road, great road but can be plagued by the police speed trap vans !!!!!!  

Attached Files

Scurve

#6 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:14 am

I have a 9'er and a year 2000 FZS 600 ( box eye ). They have different diameter stanchions so that swap isn't going to work. As far as I know , there was no fork change to the fox eye FZS 600 so that isn't going to work either.. Maybe someone could comment on the forks on later fazers .

Sorry I can't be more helpful

#7 parttimer

parttimer

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:35 pm

Hi thanks for the hellos and reply.

Will question chap at ravensthorpe garage who says fazer forks are a straight fit and he might have a set in his container.  Meanwhile I'm bidding on a pair of tdm forks although this bidding lark feels like gambling.  5 days to go...

Below is a picture the tdm when it was shiny, just after I got it, at the Isle of Skye (the huddersfield one).  One previous owner who lived in the orkneys.

Saw a blue tdm in civic centre car park 12 months ago.  I wanted its hand guards.  Not bothered about heated grips, but I do like the lack of wind chill with hand guards.  Anyway, by the time I get a bike things like heated grips have usually stopped working.  Sounds like there might be three blue ones in the area. 

Tried to paste a picture in here, don't think it worked.  Will find out when I post this.  Not sure how to do a thumbnail attachment.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:45 am

Hi PT and welcome, if you click on "More reply Options" when your posting (bottom right) you'll see you can attach photo's :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:09 pm

Hi Dave, 

this is another Dave in Huddersfield with an 03 blue niner. I used to be known as Big Dave but having lost three and a half stone I can't justify the title anymore.

I've got a set of cheap chinese handguards on mine and they work a treat, cheap +happy yorkshireman like yourself.

https://www.ebay.co....VgAAOSwiSJbfN~G

I live up Golcar way, always happy to help if I can.

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#10 parttimer

parttimer

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:39 pm

Hi little big Dave,

having to type this again cos I lost it all due to my poor dongle connection.

Got a bid on some forks - 2 days to go.  Though I have been thinking about maybe buying another, though that feels a bit extravagant.  As well as expensive.

TDM currently needs- lh fork leg (lug snapped off and left a hole), lh footrest, lh headlamp cover/lens.  Was due to go in for a service last week - hopefully that might have cured the running hot/overfuelling problem that started recently. Now its in for a service and a fix,  if I can sort some forks out.

Used to live in Golcar, in the shop opposite the Rose & Crown.  Been in Linfitt now, though closer to Slawit, for over 30 yrs.

The handguards look reasonably priced.  Did see some at £80ish.  Prefer the price of yours and I'll invest as soon as I'm rolling again.  I kind of get some weird kind of pleasure riding in those dismal winter months and hand guards (my v-strom had some) makes riding in the cold a lot better.  I might have been put off by the price - too cheap can't be any good - or possibly the yellow strip.  Whilst on colour, why, if I get another tdm, do I want a blue one?  Are they faster, more reliable? They do take good pictures though -

:)yelims reve tsrif ym - ​Dunno what happened there, I suddenly started typing backwards.  The insert key???

Attached Files

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:30 pm

Take it the forks are the ones in Ormskirk? If you win, let me know. I can go over and pick them up and give to my daughter in Leeds, we'll be seeing her next weekend. You can pick up from there. If that helps.

I have got the headlamp unit but suggest when you get a replacement, fitting protectors. I have them on mine. Don't know the failure point though. Thought the headlamp unit was one piece and not handed?

#12 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:05 am

If it is only the stem that is the problem get a local engineer to swap  them over.

I put USD forks on my FZ750 street fighter all I did was swap the stems even the bearings were the same.

#13 parttimer

parttimer

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:13 pm

Think I've won (I'm sure it should say bought!) the ormskirk forks on ebay.  If hes prepared to sell to someone with a score of 0.  Hopefully collect them myself (thanks for the offer of a pickup) if I managed to set up Paypal ok, and send a payment - a little bit of technophobia with a dongle and poor reception makes computers fun!!!

I buggered the fork on a little white vw.  Broke the lug off where the mudguard screws to the fork leg and left a hole for the fork oil to drain out of.

TKF - when you say youve got a headlamp unit, is it for sale. I'd be interested if so.  The lens is cracked and scratched fairly badly.  MOTfailure definite and probably a pulller too.  If I can sort an headlamp unit that only leaves  a footrest which aren't too hard to get.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users