14 replies to this topic

#1 giza

giza

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:40 am

G'day, Havent been on here for some while which just reinforces what a bloody brilliant bike is the niner never a problem! 

After more than 2 yrs of moving house, visitng the IC ward and cardiac theatres a couple of times etc I think I'm a safe bet for a bit.

So I just had the girl in for a full service, front boot, pads all round, fork seals, rear disk, plugs, tune up and a hair cut so she's ready for some summer lovin'!

However I'm finding it a bit of a stretch getting a leg over these days as a pensioner, therefore manouvering at low speed is a touch fraught too. The arthritis dont help neither. It could do with dropping a couple or so centimetres (an inch and a bit in the old money)

So I'm looking into a lowering kit for the rear suspension. I lowered (raised?) the forks in the clamps by about 15-20mm back in 2007.

If I may I am seeking the opinions of you fine gentlemen in how best to achieve this and what the pros and cons might be please.

There are several "kits" online at widely disparate pricing so If I may seek guidance there too.

I have considered perhaps the Trumpy T100 or the rather nice Kawasaki W800 special as a replacement. Even cast an eye over the Yamaha Bolt R spec! but I cant get past that bloody bewdy donk in the TDM (and its still a youngster at around 60k) ...I reckon she'll see me out. Plus I own it lock, stock and leaking fork seals.

Mucho grass ears in advance.

Edited by giza, 30 August 2018 - 08:41 am.

#2 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:37 am

Changing the dogbones is the favourite of many on here. There's even a 'how to' on here somewhere. A search here could be revealing. I bought mine from Germany. They do different sizes for different amounts of lowering.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#3 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:50 am

......as I understand it (850 owner, what would I know) you can get (longer ?) ‘dog bones’ which would lower the rear,
without negative consequences ( presumably other than ground clearance in case of extrem lean)......
What length achieves what lowering I wouldn’t know.....watch this space for someone who does.

alternatively, maybe, a shorter shock......ditto re: how much shorter
Hagon would certainly do one for you, I imagine

Jiff.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:16 pm

A sculpted seat would also help you.  Don't forget to adjust the rear suspension if you fit dog bones, fitting longer bones leaves the suspension softer and you'll notice it when cornering, well, I did anyhoos.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:57 pm

.....yup!.......forgot sculpted seat

my experience: (850 4tX).......

beg/ borrow / buy cheap electric carving knife (£12 approx Argos UK)
remove staples from underside, lift off vinyl cover, carefully peel off thin foam over-layer, identify areas where lowering / narrowing
would be helpful.......sculpt carefully with knife (not too difficult) , replace thin layer foam (maybe with spray adhesive if you’re feeling confident), staple vinyl back with heavy duty stapler (do front first, then back end, then stretch and staple sides as appropriate)

job’s not exactly a carrot.....but satisfying and effective

Jiff.

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:58 pm

I have a set you can have but I've no idea how much post would be. It might be cheaper looking on your Oz ebay and finding some on there. You'll also have to adjust your side stand or be very careful where you park, the bike is almost upright on the stand with longer dog bones. If you have a main stand it might occassionally touch the ground as well when enthusiastically leaning over in corners.

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:48 pm

My seat lowered 1 inch and I needed to grind 2-3mm off the foot of the sidestand.
(Maybe no good for you in Oz, but mine came from bikefarm mv in Germany)

Edited by Robodene, 30 August 2018 - 06:51 pm.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:40 am

Gday Giza
I have a cut down seat that came spare with my 2002 TDM. If interested you can have it for postage, Im in central NSW.
Cheers
Mal

#9 giza

giza

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:38 am

Gday Giza
I have a cut down seat that came spare with my 2002 TDM. If interested you can have it for postage, Im in central NSW.
Cheers
Mal

Gday MalS7, I'd be interested in the seat. I'm in Brisbane bayside 4159. happy to pay postage plus any extra.  How far over the border are you?

cheers JH

Edited by giza, 01 September 2018 - 07:39 am.

#10 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:16 am

If I may I am seeking the opinions of you fine gentlemen.

Hopefully you wont discard my advice in spite of me not having the anatomical qualifications to be a member of the group from which you seek opinions! :lol:

I feel I have other relevant qualifications however. Im 5 foot 4 inches and just short of 60, have a very lovely plastic knee and arthritic paws and have owned niners for 10 years. Oh, and I can no longer pull the skin off a rice pudding without assistance.

Sculptured Seat is essential for me but if youre tall, you will
also need flexible knees.
I lowered mine once, did it properly and hated it with a passion. Not an option for me.
Daytona MStar Boots - if youre vertically challenged, best money ever spent.
Training in slow speed skills, I did my IAM advanced course and went on to be an observer. My slow speed skills are pretty hot and get me out of a heap of trouble.
Up and back bar risers. Im not at full stretch on the bike and they make the riding position super comfy.
Careful consideration when choosing parking spaces and never being too proud to ask for help if youve had to park somewhere stupid and cant haul your bike out of an awkward spot! Dappers knows. :lol:

Might buy a Honda CB500x One day but not for a while yet, maybe when Im 80. :)

Edited by Kelpie, 01 September 2018 - 12:43 pm.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#11 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:55 pm

Gday MalS7, I'd be interested in the seat. I'm in Brisbane bayside 4159. happy to pay postage plus any extra.  How far over the border are you?
cheers JH

Well pretty far, Im in Dubbo but will be half way there, in Inverell, for a couple of days later this week if thats any good. Ive sent you a PM with my phone no.

Hi kelpie, Im not vertically challenged but quite fancy the CB500x myself. Would you miss though the splendid grunt of the TDM?

#12 giza

giza

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:57 am

Hopefully you wont discard my advice in spite of me not having the anatomical qualifications to be a member of the group from which you seek opinions! :lol:

I feel I have other relevant qualifications however. Im 5 foot 4 inches and just short of 60, have a very lovely plastic knee and arthritic paws and have owned niners for 10 years. Oh, and I can no longer pull the skin off a rice pudding without assistance.

Sculptured Seat is essential for me but if youre tall, you will
also need flexible knees.
I lowered mine once, did it properly and hated it with a passion. Not an option for me.
Daytona MStar Boots - if youre vertically challenged, best money ever spent.
Training in slow speed skills, I did my IAM advanced course and went on to be an observer. My slow speed skills are pretty hot and get me out of a heap of trouble.
Up and back bar risers. Im not at full stretch on the bike and they make the riding position super comfy.
Careful consideration when choosing parking spaces and never being too proud to ask for help if youve had to park somewhere stupid and cant haul your bike out of an awkward spot! Dappers knows. :lol:

Might buy a Honda CB500x One day but not for a while yet, maybe when Im 80. :)

Sounds right gentlemanly to me sport. I'm at 5'8" in shorts. My ground clearance inside leg wise is also a tad on the slight side. I spent many a year in my yoof trundling around quarries and other bits of untrammeled wilderness on off road bikes (chook chasers to use the local vernacular). I did drop the niner once in a car park.....I was so 76$%#(*?"..upset I heaved it back upright like an olympic weight lifter...only to realise the bloody sidestand was on the other side of the bike! After instructing a passing shopper on what a sidestand was and what I required him to do with it....please, I was able to prop it up and then mustering as much dignity as possible I walked round the bike and mounted it in the approved fashion!  I'm 65 plus now and not ready for a 'mobility scooter' as some acquaintances (and kids) recommend.

I thank you for your advice I do have qualms about lowering the bike so I'm looking at the art of seat sculpture.

cheers JH

Edited by giza, 02 September 2018 - 05:10 am.

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:07 pm

I'm with Kelpie on the bar raisers. I have one straight up and one offset (up and back). They make a world of difference to me. Allows me to vary my seating position to help alleviate the various ache and pains. I'm 63 and also 5'8.

I moved my grips (inc. clutch lever, brake, throttle) inboard slightly to compensate for the impact of extra lift on the cables. Alternatively get longer cables.

#14 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:30 pm

Hi kelpie, Im not vertically challenged but quite fancy the CB500x myself. Would you miss though the splendid grunt of the TDM?

For sure! Thats why Ive had 3 TDMs and cant find anything to match it. Its heavy for a short bird like me though. Mind you, mine got dropped recently and not by me! My strapping 6 foot husband was the mortified guilty party and hastily took the scraped panel off to the paint shop before I had a chance to kill him. :lol:

Edited by Kelpie, 02 September 2018 - 09:33 pm.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:01 am

For sure! Thats why Ive had 3 TDMs and cant find anything to match it. Its heavy for a short bird like me though. Mind you, mine got dropped recently and not by me! My strapping 6 foot husband was the mortified guilty party and hastily took the scraped panel off to the paint shop before I had a chance to kill him. :lol:

:lol:  :lol: 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users