• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:27 pm

So got my hands on an old fj1100 rim. It is 16". I know this will alter the handling of my 3vd, even if i lower the rear a bit, and tire selection will be decreased. But apart from that, is there any reason this should not work? Different axle maybe? Also planning to fit a steering damper.. Will the tdm rotors fit? Any info would be highly appreciated.

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:19 pm

I wouldn't do it, my FZ has a 16" and drops into corners like a good 'un. even heard of riders decking the bike due to the speed it drops and then panicking/crashing.

tyre wise I can't even get Avons any more so I got a Metzeler on the front Avon rear ( works well though but is a light bike as its based on the steel framed FZR400)

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:20 pm

In the mid eighties I had an RX1000 Kawasaki, 16 inchers and every time I went round a small roundabout it felt like the front end was going from under me and I tried to straighten up,any way only had it 3monthes then sold the fecker, horrible felling.

#4 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:26 am

I used to have a vfr750f, 1986. Great bike, loved thd way it handled with with the 16 front and 18 rear. But it had differnt rake angle compared to the tdm, so probably would be quite different. But i want to lower my tdm a few inches, so 16" front wheel and raise the forks a few surely will have an effec on the front end. Also considering 16 rear. I knid

#5 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:25 am

would dropping the forks an 1" make the front feel and act like a 17" wheel? and what would the advantages and dis advantages in doing this if so?

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:26 pm

would dropping the forks an 1" make the front feel and act like a 17" wheel? and what would the advantages and dis advantages in doing this if so?

Think 1/2" would be nearer.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:19 am

Think 1/2" would be nearer.

Yup, if you put a 17" wheel on you would only lower the bike 1/2"

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:21 am

It would be similar but for a different reason. When you fit a smaller front wheel you reduce the amount of trail in the front geometry. Less trail makes it easier to follow a particular path but makes the steering a bit more sensitive in other ways (more difficult to ride 'no hands')

The 900 suffers with a bit of 'wheel flop' the mk1 also but to a lesser extent. Reducing the trail distance reduces the wheel flop. Wheel flop is felt when you lean the bike over it wants to continue leaning more and you need to apply a bit of pressure on the bars to hold it at a particular angle.. This is probably also why fitting a 17" front wheel on a 900 makes a nice difference to the amount of steering effort required.

Lowering the forks in the yokes steepens the rake angle (relative to the road, but not the bike frame) , which also reduces trail. However the bike isn't quicker to steer, just easier to turn in thanks to a reduction in wheel flop. A smaller wheel will turn in faster because of the combination of the reduced circumference of the curved sidewall and the amount of steering angle required to get the sidewall to track the intended path

In short, lowering the forks in the yokes makes turn in easier because there is less trail (castor forces)  but the speed of turning is governed more by wheel diameter

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:10 pm

Interesting read ^ So which is better?

On an unrelated note to the OP's question:

I have a 900 ABS. Have read that 17" not possible as the favourite donor wheel from a 1998 Rx or FZ1000 doesn't have a large enough hub to receive the sensor

I personally think it handles amazingly already but thought I'd try out this 17" craze and save a bit of money on tyres. Any solutions to the ABS problem on here? I don't mind losing the ABS but would prefer to keep it if possible 

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:10 pm

Interesting read ^ So which is better?

On an unrelated note to the OP's question:

I have a 900 ABS. Have read that 17" not possible as the favourite donor wheel from a 1998 Rx or FZ1000 doesn't have a large enough hub to receive the sensor

I personally think it handles amazingly already but thought I'd try out this 17" craze and save a bit of money on tyres. Any solutions to the ABS problem on here? I don't mind losing the ABS but would prefer to keep it if possible 

The sensor isn't it mounted on the forks ? All you need for the rotor is an ABS disk with ....  0.944 x number of ridges   as the original has, which might be a tricky find.

#11 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:43 pm

The TDM900A's ABS sensor is mounted on a cover for the front wheel hub, and the ridges that are counted are cast inside the hub around the periphery. Same at the back.

See this parts diagram:- https://www.motorcyc...les/front-wheel

I asked a similar Q about 17" ABS wheels some time ago and got sweet FA replies.

ADD I've just checked the price of that sensor housing - part #10 - over £300 !!!!

Edited by steve27bha, 12 October 2018 - 01:05 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:59 pm

The TDM900A's ABS sensor is mounted on a cover for the front wheel hub, and the ridges that are counted are cast inside the hub around the periphery. Same at the back.

See this parts diagram:- https://www.motorcyc...les/front-wheel

I asked a similar Q about 17" ABS wheels some time ago and got sweet FA replies.

ADD I've just checked the price of that sensor housing - part #10 - over £300 !!!!

Thanks for clarifying Steve. I thoiught it might be possible to fit an R6 rotor but not now https://www.ebay.co....qO5D:rk:28:pf:0

Alternatively a 17" R6 front wheel with ABS rotor might fit but then you need to reposition the sensor. Probably easier to fit a different front end in truth

#13 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:57 am

Has any body just lowered the forks in the yokes? If so, whats there opinion on just doing this? Also would the rear have to be change too?

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:24 pm

Lots of peeps have lowered the yokes, makes the bike turn in a bit quicker if you drop them 20mm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:04 pm

Lots of peeps have lowered the yokes, makes the bike turn in a bit quicker if you drop them 20mm.

I did that with my 3VD ...it made a noticeable difference.  So much so that I've given up on finding and fitting a 17" front wheel.

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:47 pm

I think 20mm could be a bit much, maybe start at 10mm and try it.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:59 am

I think 20mm could be a bit much, maybe start at 10mm and try it.

would i need to change the rear too?

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:29 pm

No.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:07 pm

Tried lowering mine by and inch. Can't say it made a great deal of difference to me. I'm back to normal.

From memory, there were a few posts some time ago about using a 17 inch front to make it easier getting tyre sets. There were some options in that but recommending a speedo healer.

#20 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:22 pm

Has any body just lowered the forks in the yokes? If so, whats there opinion on just doing this? Also would the rear have to be change too?

Hi WayneUK!

I lowered the front at 15mm and made a big difference.

Positive:
1) You need less space to turn the bike.
Describe a semi-circle, for example. Before you had a custom.
Then a street bike.
2) I no longer stand the ballerina position (tiptoe)
3) Attack the curves better.
4) I made compensation with new handlebar supports. In height and advance towards my arms. I did not change the rear.

Negative.
1) Copy the terrain with greater sensitivity and transfer to the handlebars.
Therefore it requires more attention, with holes, spines and unevenness.
Imagine an old disk dock, where the swinging needle door arm, copies the undulations / pucker of the disk.

Conclusion: After several years, I'm sure, that was a change for the better.

I'm 5'8" ft 

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users