12 replies to this topic

#1 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:50 pm

After getting my bar ends and realising the bars needed tapping I was stuck. Didn't want to try it myself and didn't know anyone who could do it (By this I mean friends, family and that chap down the pub, NOT Mr Henty who kindly offered after the following story had taken place! Thanks, Lee). So I hit the web and looked at local engineering businesses and bike associated engineers. To my shock only one place replied. So I went to them and the moment the oil-covered Elvis impersonator saw them he serenaded me with those loving words "Sorry Mate, Ain't got a tool big enough for that!" After a few heart-pounding moments I was relived to realise he did mean the handlebars I was holding!

So, It was back to the web, And I looked much further afield. Sent out just a few emails this time, but, I got a reply! This chap down at the east end of the M3 sent me a nice long reply explaining that he could do it. So after several correspondences of emails that were really letters, Seriuosly this chap took the time out to write a proper letter every time. He took the time to research on the web about my bar ends to make sure. I hadn't even said I'd go with him yet.

A week or so later I was down that way so decided to drop the bars and bar ends off with him. He said it would be done by the end of the week and he'd post them back. He uses the courier firm next door! Now this chaps set-up is proper old school. It was like the seventies in there. No flashy signs or slogans. No branding or corporate bindings. Just well used tooling machines, Shelves filled with random bits of metal and bikes from all ages and all riders. He said no-one gives a shite about these little jobs now and he should set up a niche business!

So, I went to get the bars and barends when I was back down there and Da dah! He's only bloody done it. A perfect job and a brilliant result. He charged me £30 which I'm well chuffed with. So if you are looking for a little job doing and no-one on here can do it may I suggest this little gem...

Stewarts Motorcycle Repairs.

Unit 2

25a Hanworth Rd

Sunbury

Middlesex

TW16 5DA

http://www.stewarts-...uk/default.html

Edited by ProudViking, 15 February 2016 - 04:51 pm.

#2 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:19 pm

well!!!!

where the pics  :dunno:

come on man, you know the rules  :ambusy: no excuses  :rotflmmfao:

#3 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:10 pm

well!!!!

where the pics  :dunno:

come on man, you know the rules  :ambusy: no excuses  :rotflmmfao:

Ooops!! Yes I should know by now.... :sorry:

Give me a sec.

#4 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:12 pm

The website is worth a read.

Might pop round.

They sound like old school engineers.

:rotflmmfao:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#5 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:40 pm

Attached File  IMG_0133.JPG   77.21KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0134.JPG   61.59KB   1 downloads    Can you see anything?! wobbly hand syndrome :rotflmmfao:

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:50 pm

Looks like a nice sharp thread, a good job.

I might have undercharged AliG, tea n' cake was the bill for his 755 bars.  ;)

Holding  the bar is the biggest problem, as it is easy to squash the alloy tube.

I hold them in a 22mm ER40 collet in a Stevensons collet block in the vice. This way you get all round even clamping. An old top yoke would do the same job.

You need good cutting fluid because the alloy tends to be 'sticky' and galls easily.

It's quite an easy job with a set of HSS serial taps. M16 x 1.5 is the thread.

This is the sort of block I mean.

8d10c687-4bc1-478c-a66f-a57000e5f08e_600

Edited by leehenty, 15 February 2016 - 08:58 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:37 am

Did mine fitted to the bike. Threads weren't as clean as them.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#8 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:33 pm

It's ok Lee, there won't be a mass exodus from The House of Henty, "old school engineers"? We know The Master!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:54 pm

I made up an alloy guide on the lathe so you can do them on the bike a bit easier, which holds the tap square to the tube for doing them in the 'field' as it were.

Tapping them vertical is better, as the cutting fluid runs in to where you want it.

I think £30 is OTT just for tapping two threads, but they have to make a living with business overheads I suppose. £30 would buy the bars in the first place. This will be my next job on my bike, the chrome bars are just too bright.

It's AliG's fault, I keep looking at his black 755 bars propped up in my hall and thinking how nice they would look on my bike  :wub:

Edited by leehenty, 16 February 2016 - 01:04 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:24 pm

£30 probably is a bit more than I thought, was anticipating approx £20, But the lack of people doing these kind of jobs is ridiculous. I'm amazed I found someone at all, So paying a bit over the odds, especially such a small amount, I can live with. 

Although living so near to Mr Henty, I might invest in some cake and buns!!!  ;)

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:46 pm

But you'll need an awful lot of cakes and buns for a bigger job  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:45 pm

£30 for a quality engineering job is a very fair price............having the skill and tools in the first place, preparation, setting up, time, cleaning, overheads, posting etc etc.

He sounds like a good guy and deserves supporting.

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:23 pm

We need to keep these folks in business, as these skills are fast disappearing. They also have a very big lathe which I don't.

Ours is only 200mm centre height and about 450mm centres. I couldn't turn a cast wheel hub for example.

I learned because my father is a time served old engineer of 60 odd years so we have the kit to hand and I spent a childhood making bits for him.(and getting whacked for making mistakes :huh: )

That said, we aim to try to keep TDM ownership costs down for members of the club which is why we have fettle days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users