#41 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:31 pm

On a personal note i would replace the lot as a kit, chain and sprockets but that's just how i do stuff, masterclip, yes 850cc aint weedy, if you value your leg at all it's needs a rivet or endless chain, safety 1st.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#42 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:56 am

i wonder why the front sprocket has 2 washers underneath the retaining nut?  I'd be inclined to remove that nut and inspect the threads and splines and replace the nut with the deeper one that's available (i am assuming that is the original shallow nut) and a new tab washer to be on the safe side. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#43 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:20 pm

A friend of mine set fire to his Pug 309 when he drove off after lying all autumn - squirrels had stored nuts in the exhaust heatshield for the air intake - got 5 miles up the road and the hot nuts were being sucked into the air intake, burned through the filter and torched the carb - funny as feck!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#44 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:46 am

A friend of mine set fire to his Pug 309 when he drove off after lying all autumn - squirrels had stored nuts in the exhaust heatshield for the air intake - got 5 miles up the road and the hot nuts were being sucked into the air intake, burned through the filter and torched the carb - funny as feck!

A fitting end to said French crap. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#45 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:05 am

:good: +1

#46 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:53 am

Poor squirrel, musta been starving. :(

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#47 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:34 pm

That's a bit harsh ?

#48 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:19 am

An Update on the build:
The previous owner contacted me and told me he found "an extra exhaust" for the bike. Without any more info I drove out to meet him and find out he had a Yoshi for the bike! Complete with headers. He gave them to me at no extra cost. This will be a fun install for later
20190203-134423.jpg

I have also ordered a sprocket and chain set off Ebay. Locally I could not find a rear sprocket and a couple shops only had 520 conversion kits, with a 46 tooth rear. I didnt want to do the conversion so I will be waiting on parts. I have heard some people mention a thicker front sprocket nut? Anyone got a part number or way to source that?

I have also pulled all the brake likes. I pulled the calipers off and made sure all the pistons moved and where not seized. Cleaned that all up and am going to be rebuilding brake lines later this week. Need opinions: do I replace brake lines in stock Layout S? Or do I do Layout F? Pros and cons?
received-273670153556087.jpg

#49 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:45 am

Nut ear and worth a read...

http://www.carpe-tdm...e=8#entry279080
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#50 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:07 am

Great thread. I love a mk1. Engine sounded really nice on the vid

#51 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:34 am

I ordered some tyres for the boike today as this project is really starting to come together.

The front tyre for this thing is a really weird size (or at least locally), and slightly limited my options however I was able to find some Bridgestone T31 for the front and back. Cost about 200$ each (150$ USD) but should be worth it.

While the back wheel is off I plan on swapping out the sprocket with a new one and replacing the rear rotor. Any recommendations for rear rotors?
OEM costs 400$ and is 6+ weeks out.... so I'm looking for after market. Local shops are quoting me around 200$ for a rear rotor but Im finding a ton on Ebay for 40.... I need a bit of guidance because I know where my wallet is guiding me...

#52 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:00 pm

I have used Arashi discs and no complaints - and good service from here and says free worldwide shipping

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#53 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:46 pm

Update-
This weekend was about finishing up a lot of odds and ends.
The new tyres got mounted, reattached the speedo housing, new sprockets and I was able to refinish the rear brake rotor.

20190303-172230.jpg

To refinish the rear brake we soaked it in vinegar overnight and took at red scotch brite pad to it. It seems true and not cracked so I think I can get a fair bit more life out of it.

Here is the before and after on the rear brake:

IMG-7874.jpg 20190302-210941.jpg

As you can see I got some tape on the handle bars. I'm just doing a quick brush and can touch up on the brake reservoir, bar ends and mirror arms. It's not perfect or proper but until I get time to do a full paint job it will do.

Someone noticed on my previous pictures of the front sprocket that there where more than one lock washer. Reason is the previous owner did a 520 chain conversion on the bike. The additional washers where used to hold the thinner sprocket in place. I replaced with proper 525 sprockets.

The front nut on the bike was loose, not unsecure, but not tight either. When I reinstalled the new sprocket I used a bunch of blue loctite and even over torqued it a pinch. Hopefully this keeps it good and tight.

Next up I need brake pads and the new rear brake line. Then I can start putting things back together.

Edited by CanadianTDM850, 04 March 2019 - 04:47 pm.

#54 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:30 pm

Update-
This weekend was about finishing up a lot of odds and ends.
The new tyres got mounted, reattached the speedo housing, new sprockets and I was able to refinish the rear brake rotor.

20190303-172230.jpg

To refinish the rear brake we soaked it in vinegar overnight and took at red scotch brite pad to it. It seems true and not cracked so I think I can get a fair bit more life out of it.

Here is the before and after on the rear brake:

IMG-7874.jpg 20190302-210941.jpg

As you can see I got some tape on the handle bars. I'm just doing a quick brush and can touch up on the brake reservoir, bar ends and mirror arms. It's not perfect or proper but until I get time to do a full paint job it will do.

Someone noticed on my previous pictures of the front sprocket that there where more than one lock washer. Reason is the previous owner did a 520 chain conversion on the bike. The additional washers where used to hold the thinner sprocket in place. I replaced with proper 525 sprockets.

The front nut on the bike was loose, not unsecure, but not tight either. When I reinstalled the new sprocket I used a bunch of blue loctite and even over torqued it a pinch. Hopefully this keeps it good and tight.

Next up I need brake pads and the new rear brake line. Then I can start putting things back together.

I wonder if the previous owner fitted a 520 chain kit due to output shaft problems with the sprocket retaining nut coming lose?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#55 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:45 pm

I wonder if the previous owner fitted a 520 chain kit due to output shaft problems with the sprocket retaining nut coming lose?

No... as even with the 520 setup it still got loose. Hopefully the gallon of loctite I put in there prevents that in the future.

I think the reason he did the 520 conversion is because it is really hard to find the 525 - 44 tooth rear sprocket locally. When I tried to find one: 3 out of 4 local shops couldn't even order one in.

My guess is the previous owner took it to a local shop for a chain/ sprocket replacement and the shop said "no problem" until they realized the back sprocket doesn't exist locally. They probably did the 520 conversion just because it was what they had on hand and it got the bike out their door.

#56 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:20 am

Update on the TDM build...

I decided to start putting the bike back together.

The boots that join the carb to the airbox had shrunk and hardened over its years sitting. I boiled them and they came back to life long enough for me to get them back on the carbs. This isnt a permanent fix, but it worked for now...

I hooked the gas tank and petcock back up, poured about half a tanks worth of gas in there and let it sit for about 20 minutes. When I came back I tried (unsuccessfully) to start it before I noticed the smell of gas. Taking a quick look under the tank I found several pinhole leaks.

I took the tank into my local radiator shop, after stripping the paint down they found arround 30 pin holes in the tank. Throughout this week they are closing up the holes and then going to line the tank so this doesn't happen again. Looks like I will be painting the tank next weekend now...

Hopefully the bike not wanting to start was just a side effect from all the brand new fuel lines and it probably needing to prune them.

#57 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:35 am

I've had difficulty starting after fitting new fuel lines so i put a short piece of hose in the tank filler and wrapped a rag around to make air tight and gave it a quick blow which helped the fuel along to start, nearly finished now :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#58 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:45 pm

I've had difficulty starting after fitting new fuel lines so i put a short piece of hose in the tank filler and wrapped a rag around to make air tight and gave it a quick blow which helped the fuel along to start, nearly finished now :good:

When I was testing earlier I had gas in an old pop bottle. I just squeezed the bottle to prime it. Harder to do with a steel tank hahah

#59 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:29 pm

When I was testing earlier I had gas in an old pop bottle. I just squeezed the bottle to prime it. Harder to do with a steel tank hahah

Haha yep, just dont tell the misses your were blowing your bike off :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users