#21 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:36 pm

Mystery solved.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but it was a bad battery.  The battery was the first thing I tested.  Although it held voltage at rest, it would short to ground under load.  I didn't have an easy way to test it under load and moved on.  It eventually recovers - which is why I would get weird success with the voltage.  It was pure coincidence that I figured it out, and of course after I have the bike in pieces.  I had it hooked up to a battery tender while I tested connections.  I noticed I was getting power back every couple minutes.  Then I saw the battery tender had turned itself off (although it never indicated a bad battery). 

I'm a moron, but at least I have my sanity back.

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:35 am

Mystery solved.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but it was a bad battery.  The battery was the first thing I tested.  Although it held voltage at rest, it would short to ground under load.  I didn't have an easy way to test it under load and moved on.  It eventually recovers - which is why I would get weird success with the voltage.  It was pure coincidence that I figured it out, and of course after I have the bike in pieces.  I had it hooked up to a battery tender while I tested connections.  I noticed I was getting power back every couple minutes.  Then I saw the battery tender had turned itself off (although it never indicated a bad battery). 

I'm a moron, but at least I have my sanity back.

Is that one of those battery tenders I hear about which strangely go hand in hand with flat batteries ?  I just don't trust 'em

....comin over here. tending our batteries

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:13 am

It is actually a really high end tender (Noco), not some cheap knockoff.   But who knows.  The battery was only a couple years old (DieHard). 

Since I have everything apart, I guess I can take care of some stuff.  If i get really enthusiastic, I will replace the leaking valve cover gasket.

#24 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:14 am

and take the opportunity to acf all the electrical block connectors

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:05 am

Check the connections at the reg/rec, mine were in need of a good clean and the cause of a flat battery.  Glad you're sorted anyhoos. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users