12 replies to this topic

#1 glods

glods

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:01 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for parts/modification items for my '92 TDM, but there isn't much of a market for this bike over here in the US. I'm primarily looking for a center stand and some luggage racks. Does anyone have a resource that they could share that has these items? Or perhaps there is another similar model that I'd be able to use parts from? I'm fairly handy, but I don't have a workshop or any fabrication tools. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

#2 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:24 pm

......someone will be along soon with specific info.....

I know that here in the UK, people have obtained highlypraised centre stands from a guy in Poland (I think )
don’tknow if it fits the 3vd....
likewise there are a variety of paniers available, soft and hard, with appropriate racks and fitting gizmos

I guess shipping costs could be the issue (stating the obvious)

sorry I cant be more precise......watch this space

Jiff.

#3 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:13 pm

If you contact rafal he will advise you on cost incl delivery, he's good to deal with > http://www.rm-g.pl

Or use soft luggage bags which will work out a lot cheaper if you won't be using them a lot

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#4 glods

glods

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:46 pm

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to contact Rafal for more info. 

JMC, I'd still need some sort of frame for soft bags, not? I'm not opposed to them, but I just thought if I'm getting a frame I may as well look for something that I could mount hard cases to.

#5 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:42 pm

It depends what you want to spend, some soft bags are cheap and don't need racks, hard cases and racks cost a lot more, I've decided to go with soft throw over bags, top box, tank bag and tail pack if needed

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 04 April 2019 - 10:44 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#6 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:53 pm

.....I’ve used soft paniers, with a holdall-across-the-top plus a tank bag on a previous long euro trip .....
the paniers came with their own fabric/flexi attaching system.....quite secure and tough,
.......though have a care when speeding through bumpy level crossings......
..........but easy enough to remove at your destination....
where they become easy-to-tote ‘hand luggage’....

having said that, some turkey nicked my tent which was bungied on top
.......whilst I was gratefully imbibing in a welcoming bar in Italy....
after a long day in the saddle.....which was a pain

Jiff.

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:45 am

I've used soft luggage on my 9'er with no problems. Just have to make sure they are firmly held in place. 

Would saddle bags work for you, like some Harley riders use?

For soft bags, would have thought just something to keep it away from the wheel and chain and to strap it to would do. Can you make something up out of tubing or he like?

#8 glods

glods

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:56 pm

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards soft saddlebags, a large tail bag, and a tank bag now. It'd be much more affordable, and I probably won't roadtrip enough to justify investing in a rack setup with hard cases. The main reason I was interested in a proper rack was so I could ride +1 with room for storage, but that probably isn't a realistic scenario as we usually bring our dog along for any extended adventures, haha.

TKH, yeah that's what I'm now thinking. If the saddlebags swing under the tail or something I might be able to rig something up to hold it in place, I'll just have to play around with it.

JMC, how are you mounting your top case? I haven't had much luck finding mounting hardware for that either. 

Also, what is your guys' opinion on Oxford Products? I've got a riding jacket of their's that I'm pleased with, and their bags look like good products as well. It looks like Givi is the standard though. Let me know what you think!

#9 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:11 am

I've looked at every option for mounting the bags I have, they are bigger than normal so racks would be ideal but my exhausts are high up so the racks would have to be custom built, I'm not ruling that out yet tho.
Mine attach with 4 small locks it's like they were made for it
The top box rack is attached to the grab rail I drilled it and used the supplied brackets Ill only be using this for winter and soon I'll switch back to the tail bag
Top box is a cheap one and I've had it loaded at over 100mph and it's rock solid don't get too hung up on the brand names ;)
I've the Oxford tail and tank bags there ok but will leak in heavy rain

Hunter S. Thompson.

#10 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:30 am

Here is a thread where I asked about fitting the top box
http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=36223&hl=

And I'll attach a pic of mine

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 06 April 2019 - 08:31 am.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#11 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:13 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for parts/modification items for my '92 TDM, but there isn't much of a market for this bike over here in the US. I'm primarily looking for a center stand and some luggage racks. Does anyone have a resource that they could share that has these items? Or perhaps there is another similar model that I'd be able to use parts from? I'm fairly handy, but I don't have a workshop or any fabrication tools. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

As you have found out there is not a lot available here in the States for these bikes or they want a lot of money. If you are looking for a center stand and racks I recommend Rafal as previously suggested. I ordered engine guards, center stand and luggage racks from him and was very happy with them. It does take a little while as they come from Poland but you can't beat the price. I use Dry Spec luggage which doesn't require racks to mount but I like having the racks to mount the saddlebags.

Attached Files

#12 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:52 pm

..........I've the Oxford tail and tank bags there ok but will leak in heavy rain

I seem to recall that my Oxford Products soft paniers came with a crude, but fairly effective, elasticated cover.....
which could be bungied on to keep it in place at ‘high speed’

......bit like a plastic shower cap

Jiff.

#13 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:20 am

Scan European Ebay for used. 

I wanted to mount Givi Hard cases, so I searched quite a while for Mk1 Givi Racks.  They are pretty rare, even overseas.  So I bought a set of MkII racks.  They mount in 3 places on each side.  The top two mounts work fine, but the lower mount near the rear pegs is about 1/2" off.  So I modified the lower mounting point a bit.  You can see it here:  https://expeditionpo...m-build.135463/

I don't think you can go wrong getting the racks from Poland.  I use soft bags on my thumper and don't see a huge difference in usefulness between the two. 

I may still have my Ventura rack if you are interested.  I'd probably let it go for shipping plus some Colorado beer!  (I may have already sold it, I cont' remember.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: US, parts, modifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users