13 replies to this topic

#1 thong

thong

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:23 am

looking for a way to make the fan come on a bit sooner

if I stick a resistor (22k ish) across the water temperature sensor (ntc) , this should fool the ecu and turn the fan on sooner.

Just wondering if its ok to do this, does the ecu use the water temperature for any fuel/timing calculations etc

Cheers

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:10 pm

if I stick a resistor (22k ish) across the water temperature sensor (ntc) , this should fool the ecu and turn the fan on sooner.

Just wondering if its ok to do this, does the ecu use the water temperature for any fuel/timing calculations etc

Cheers

is yer TDM 900 overheating?  ya cud possibly fit a manual over ride switch? Or ya could have the ECU flashed.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 thong

thong

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:40 pm

is yer TDM 900 overheating?  ya cud possibly fit a manual over ride switch? Or ya could have the ECU flashed.

not overheating but I would like the fan to kick in sooner,

cant read my ecu so I am guessing its one that cant be flashed.

Cheers

#4 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:18 pm

not overheating but I would like the fan to kick in sooner,
cant read my ecu so I am guessing its one that cant be flashed.
Cheers

Small remark:
If your fan kicks in at a lower temperature than your thermostat opening temp there's really no benefit.
If there's a need for lower temperatures, the thermostat is the place to start.

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:47 pm

Yes it should work, but MipeTDM's comment might hold some hidden wisdom

Although in saying that, as someone who has run car and bike engines without thermostats in place, it is nice to take control of the upper temperature.

I suspect though that the 900 radiator isn't completely sufficient for hot weather in traffic, I know mine isn't and the fan is coming on and off very often. Perhaps a larger radiator with passive cooling  would make it more predictable when it came to the cooling systems response to a change of thermostat.

Perhaps the problem is that because the system is a well engineered compromise, the fan is coming on so often that the perception of it is that the bike is getting hot quickly, and could therefore possibly overheat

I'm still waiting for my genuine bought on the internet psychology degree to arrive.......

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:13 pm

I fitted a car sensor to my 4tx and it annoyed me coming on too early. Changed it back to normal

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:55 pm

go fer a manual overroide switch and when yer in traffic or toon and it gets all sweaty then ya can turn it on at will.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:11 am

Most cars now have a low speed coming on before full. Could be done with a dual temp switch and dropping resistor.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:19 pm

You could wire in a relay, selecting between the command from the ecu, or your own command, e.g from a button on the steering wheel, or a comparator pcb reading in the same temp signal but triggering on al lower temp.
You can then choose depending on the weather, useage etc.
Or even fit a dcdc module in between, so you can adjust the fan to a lower speed in the 1st low temp stage

#10 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:18 pm

Can I suggest an electrical heating element just before the thermostat?

:hide:

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#11 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:38 am

Cheers

Have you renewed/checked the coolant and the thermostat?

My experience (2010 9'er) is that it is very cold blooded and it takes A LOT to get it anywhere near the red area where the fan comes on. I can be stopped in hot weather (30°C+) traffic, idling for 15-20 minutes, before the needle gets close to the red area and the fan kicks in.

So, I see no need for the fan to kick in earlier, since it is very difficult/impossible to get it to overheat.

YMMV

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:48 am

I was watching Ed China explaining the benefits of waterless coolant.  Amazing stuff but a lot of prepping faff to do before it can be used and it's expensive. After installing it in an old TR6 he ran it up to temperature then removed the radiator cap, zero pressure as the coolant doesn't boil until it gets to 150 degrees.  It can also be drained off, filtered and then re-used so will last for many many years.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 peteb

peteb

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:32 pm

My better half enjoys pillion riding slowly sometimes taking in the sights and sounds. I noticed the fan also wasn't coping especially when the wind was behind us. I had a good look at the radiator and quite a few fins had been bent from road shrapnel over the years. Spent a few hours straightening those and the problem has completely gone. I think the radiator is marginal and doesn't take much to 'push it over the edge' in our hot climates. It technically wasn't overheating according to the gauge, but I didn't like it spending its life in the upper third of the dial when cruising slowly in 2nd gear.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:15 pm

I fitted a pair of large snail horns onto the front forks, which obscured the radiator enough to cause me to notice the temperature rising higher more often, so the radiator is marginal. As long as the fan is working though all is well because the fan brings the temperature down very quickly, it's a pretty large fan

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users