#422 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:51 am

My problem is, I always forget about this little problem...until bleeding time  :sorry: Then impatience takes charge......

Bjørge

#423 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:52 pm

Engine's in

Attached File  20200318_181536.jpg   166.02KB   0 downloads

With the rotor and clutch all torqued up

Attached File  20200321_105347.jpg   183.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20200319_115128.jpg   133.35KB   0 downloads

Boogering with the timing

Attached File  20200322_124740.jpg   158.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20200327_131114.jpg   129.59KB   0 downloads

Nicely lined up BUT after installing the CCT and turning twice the bugger is a tooth out on the Inlet side.

Attached File  20200323_120557.jpg   139.39KB   0 downloads

The camera angle is a bit off but it's defo a tooth out, seems to be skipping a tooth, reset the cams 3 times now with the same result so a bit stymied with it......packed it all away for today cos now it's starting to annoy..

I know she'll fire up a tooth out but would like it right really, oil tank also plumbed in so will oil her up soon and check for leaks, fingers crossed..

Edited by dablik, 27 March 2020 - 04:57 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#424 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:03 pm

Cool dabbers. Difficult to tell from camera angle. Not seen Juan that dont look a bit wonk...but not easy to see if it is too wonk in pic! I am sure I have put up pics before...if ya can find Juan to use for comparison.

Else....stick with her idea of inlet and outlet sprocks combined into one large external nylon cog. ;0)

Edit: is that a gnu chain dabbers?

What's all that black sheet on buckets? ;0)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#425 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:25 pm

Oooohhh I could watch him all day without rest  :good:

You not working at work work then Cliff?

I'm in next wed = 1 April :rolleyes: for the day, but not in again until.................... wait for it..............Fri 15 May.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#426 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:48 pm

Cool dabbers. Difficult to tell from camera angle. Not seen Juan that dont look a bit wonk...but not easy to see if it is too wonk in pic! I am sure I have put up pics before...if ya can find Juan to use for comparison.

Else....stick with her idea of inlet and outlet sprocks combined into one large external nylon cog. ;0)

Edit: is that a gnu chain dabbers?

What's all that black sheet on buckets? ;0)

Defo off a tooth daps, not a slight wonk which would be fine, and the chain i'm told was new shortly before i acquired the bike, have a different cyl head on but cant see that being an issue, will redo it again and see what's wot, if i need to i'll pull the chain, and the black shoite is Graphogen..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#427 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:03 pm

Oooohhh I could watch him all day without rest  :good:

You not working at work work then Cliff?

I'm in next wed = 1 April :rolleyes: for the day, but not in again until.................... wait for it..............Fri 15 May.

Aye matey i'm in work, days off at the mo.......all leave for April cancelled and i suspect May will follow, wards been half empty this week, which is unheard off, discharges night and day in preparation, already been dealing with Covid patients and expect i'll be virused up at some point.... as the news enough supplies not reaching every ward in Hospital so i hope that improves.

28 beds declared "White" on my ward which means no Covid patients now as they have been segregated but the last 8 beds through 2 sets of double doors are "Green" beds which indicates tested neg-ve..........although it's been known to have some false neg results with the current swab test :unsure2:

In weeks to come i can see that status changing as the need for more beds arises.. it's going to be manic i reckon but while i'm able i'll be in work fighting the fight :good:

Be safe everyone...

#428 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:12 pm

You too mucka. :good:

Bikes taking shape and lookng good, sure you'll get the timing sorted.  Another pair of hands might help you out there, or maybe try zip tieing the chain and cogs afore inserting the tensioner.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#429 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:19 pm

You too mucka. :good:

Bikes taking shape and lookng good, sure you'll get the timing sorted.  Another pair of hands might help you out there, or maybe try zip tieing the chain and cogs afore inserting the tensioner.

Yea i'm gonna zip em up from scratch, i zip tied the exhaust when moving the Inlet a tooth but i reckon double handcuffs might be called for..

Edited by dablik, 27 March 2020 - 07:24 pm.

#430 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:20 pm

man the

Defo off a tooth daps, not a slight wonk which would be fine, and the chain i'm told was new shortly before i acquired the bike, have a different cyl head on but cant see that being an issue, will redo it again and see what's wot, if i need to i'll pull the chain, and the black shoite is Graphogen..

she's gonna be a looker.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#431 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:29 am

Okay before i go and reset the timing again a question...

As a parallel twin both pistons are at TDC but they have a slight overlap and when measured the difference is minimal (3-4mm) intake/exhaust stroke and i have set cylinder one at TDC as the higher piston, so is it on the right stroke or should i turn the crankshaft 360 so cylinder 2's piston is higher and put the cam lobes facing outwards on cylinder 1 as normal....

#432 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:16 pm

No1 at TDC, crank set to 'I' mark with cam lobes facing outwards.  Cam marks on end of cam should also line up.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#433 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:51 pm

No1 at TDC, crank set to 'I' mark with cam lobes facing outwards.  Cam marks on end of cam should also line up.

Yep i know the orientation mucka cheers, but as above re the pistons, one is elevated a tad higher than the other, a little overlap from inlet stroke to exhaust stroke i assume so what i'm asking is should number 1 cylinder be the higher or lower piston for the correct stroke, or does it not matter at all ?

#434 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:17 pm

Are you saying the pistons are not at the same level? I'm assuming this is on a 3VD before the 270 crank so they should be exactly the same surely, are the rods on the right way round? they may have a slight offset which could cause that if one is the wrong way round.

I've never had one of these apart so guessing here.

Or am I piddling up the wrong tree altogether?

it's going to be manic i reckon but while i'm able i'll be in work fighting the fight

And for that bit I'm sure we all salute you! Good luck and good health!

Edited by Snowbird, 28 March 2020 - 07:24 pm.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#435 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:15 am

Yep i know the orientation mucka cheers, but as above re the pistons, one is elevated a tad higher than the other, a little overlap from inlet stroke to exhaust stroke i assume so what i'm asking is should number 1 cylinder be the higher or lower piston for the correct stroke, or does it not matter at all ?

I would go with your setting, No.1 piston at the highest point, as it would then be TDC. 

#436 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:44 pm

Are you saying the pistons are not at the same level? I'm assuming this is on a 3VD before the 270 crank so they should be exactly the same surely, are the rods on the right way round? they may have a slight offset which could cause that if one is the wrong way round.

I've never had one of these apart so guessing here.

Or am I piddling up the wrong tree altogether?

And for that bit I'm sure we all salute you! Good luck and good health!

No your bang on with your thinking.... i measured the height cos over winter was researching a little on this subject and i think a "Triumph" forum mentioned overlap which of course got the grey cells thinking, it is a 3vd and i think you are correct the pistons should be the same height, any overlap must be very minimal, initially i measured using a long pencil in the plug hole when the camshafts were out, today i re-measured before removing the valve cover with a much flatter surface to rest me marker pen on and the heights are identical, so cheers your comment got me checking them again and i have to admit to user error......again :) plus the rods were clearly marked when fitted so confident i got that right, salute appreciated sir, many thanks..

All reset again today and cable tied together while fitting the CCT, you cant see to clearly in the pic but it's correct

Attached File  20200329_123017.jpg   184.22KB   0 downloads

A full turn of the crankshaft now put's the exhaust cam out a tooth, i'm pretty sure in the past ive set it a tooth out so on a revolution of the crank it's all lined up....cant remember it was so long ago !! so will have at it again next i'm off.. no rush as wont be able to ride it anyhoo...

I would go with your setting, No.1 piston at the highest point, as it would then be TDC. 

Cheers done that but looks like me measurement was a doodoo :lol:  who'd a thunk it eh..

#437 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:43 pm

I thought it sounded strange to have different piston heights unless with a couple of thou.

The CCT is at the back so you need the chain run tight at the front when setting and any slack at the back where the CCT will take it up, I wonder if the chain is dropping off the crank to let it go out.

An old CCT with ratchet mech removed would make it easier to keep some tension on the chain while setting but still let you pull a bit of spare up.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#438 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:45 pm

No your bang on with your thinking.... i measured the height cos over winter was researching a little on this subject and i think a "Triumph" forum mentioned overlap which of course got the grey cells thinking, it is a 3vd and i think you are correct the pistons should be the same height, any overlap must be very minimal, initially i measured using a long pencil in the plug hole when the camshafts were out, today i re-measured before removing the valve cover with a much flatter surface to rest me marker pen on and the heights are identical, so cheers your comment got me checking them again and i have to admit to user error......again :) plus the rods were clearly marked when fitted so confident i got that right, salute appreciated sir, many thanks..

All reset again today and cable tied together while fitting the CCT, you cant see to clearly in the pic but it's correct

attachicon.gif 20200329_123017.jpg

A full turn of the crankshaft now put's the exhaust cam out a tooth, i'm pretty sure in the past ive set it a tooth out so on a revolution of the crank it's all lined up....cant remember it was so long ago !! so will have at it again next i'm off.. no rush as wont be able to ride it anyhoo...

Cheers done that but looks like me measurement was a doodoo :lol:  who'd a thunk it eh..

I was being very cautious not to mention it in my posts. :lol:

EDIT:  Have you tried turning the crank another 360 to see if the cam timing lines up ?  Just wondering if the chain might have some stretch ?

#439 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:49 pm

It's not my 1st time doing this job, although quite awhile ago now since i last did it but, got the exhaust cam on tight and tied with a cable tie before setting the Inlet cam which was then also secured with a cable tie before torquing the cam caps and fitting the CCT, it's also not unusual for all TDM's to be off slightly on the timing ie a bit wonky but i'm not happy with a whole tooth out, the CCT appears to be working fine without a problem but i might see if i cant make up a manual to try..

Not actually having a problem to get tension on the chain and set the timing marks, looks like i'm getting a slip on rotation maybe...so wot i'll do next is set up the timing a tooth out and see where that takes me on rotation of the crankshaft...

I was being very cautious not to mention it in my posts. :lol:

EDIT:  Have you tried turning the crank another 360 to see if the cam timing lines up ?  Just wondering if the chain mght have some stretch ?

Yea i've given it another 360 for that reason then another 2 rotations and the ex cam is still a tooth out so it looks like the cam is slipping a tooth but then staying static at the mark, so as above i'll set it a tooth out and check on rotation if it lines up and stays, sure i've done it that way in the past....

Edit... well if i cant fix as above then i'll pull the chain for a measure, but it's said to of been replaced shortly before i got the bike and to be honest i'm pretty sure on the original cylinder head it was okay, even with a slight wonk..

Edited by dablik, 29 March 2020 - 03:54 pm.

#440 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:50 pm

It's a fookin' pain eh.  Been there myself a few times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users