• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:24 pm

Any words of advice here folks before I strip out my ignition switch ?

First noticed that my front running lamp and rear lights were out.  They don't seem to be on a separate fused circuit...according to the diagram in my Haynes manual.

I'm getting current going into the ignition switch and everything apart from the "auxilliary lamp" circuit is working. I've not went much further than that apart from verifying that there is no current flow in the blue/red cable which supplies the front and rear running lamps.

So what am I likely to find ?   Poor contacts in the connecting block to the ignition switch ? or bad contacts inside the switch itself ?

Could do without this,  until I remember the bike is nearly thirty years old.....and I've known people to die of boredom !

There is actually a very good step by step stripdown on this very site, if I need it.

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:29 pm

how ya CL,

I'd squirt contact cleaner into the switch cluster and see how ya get on.  Then check and clean the electrical plugs / sockets as they may be corroded.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:31 am

From memory I think there are 4 wires for the ignition so disconect the connecting block and hot wire it, look in the manual 2 wires for ignition and 2 for the lights if still no lights not the ignition Id say.

Check bulbs and fuses.

Connect a wire straight from the battery to the lighting wire if the hot wire dosent work it will tell you if the power to it is ok or not multimeter will do the same but it will not make the light come on a live wire would.

#4 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:28 pm

From memory I think there are 4 wires for the ignition so disconect the connecting block and hot wire it, look in the manual 2 wires for ignition and 2 for the lights if still no lights not the ignition Id say.

Check bulbs and fuses.

Connect a wire straight from the battery to the lighting wire if the hot wire dosent work it will tell you if the power to it is ok or not multimeter will do the same but it will not make the light come on a live wire would.

I did this before going any further and found a lost signal somewhere in the short length of cable or the ignition switch itself.  So that was a bit of a strip down and some slow careful precision drilling.  The blue/red cable had snapped at the soldered joint, probably because of vibration due to the broken cable support bracket.

So I just re-soldered the cable, and checked and cleaned the contacts. I drilled the support bracket for the cable and rebuilt using ordinary screws with a touch of Loctite, tested and rebuilt. I also went over all the multiplugs and gave them a squirt of contact cleaner and made sure they were properly secured.

Job done !

[attachment=12787:Broken cable at ignition switch.jpg]

[attachment=12788:Re-soldered cable 1.jpg]

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:40 pm

I did this before going any further and found a lost signal somewhere in the short length of cable or the ignition switch itself.  So that was a bit of a strip down and some slow careful precision drilling.  The blue/red cable had snapped at the soldered joint, probably because of vibration due to the broken cable support bracket.

So I just re-soldered the cable, and checked and cleaned the contacts. I drilled the support bracket for the cable and rebuilt using ordinary screws with a touch of Loctite, tested and rebuilt. I also went over all the multiplugs and gave them a squirt of contact cleaner and made sure they were properly secured.

Job done !

attachicon.gif Broken cable at ignition switch.jpg

attachicon.gif Re-soldered cable 1.jpg

You Legend!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#6 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:38 am

Good work Curly.

#7 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:37 pm

Beautiful solder, or so it seems.... :yeyeye:

Bjørge

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:07 pm

Job done !

attachicon.gif Broken cable at ignition switch.jpg

attachicon.gif Re-soldered cable 1.jpg

Add your name to the list of saints you're working on !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:46 pm

Add your name to the list of saints you're working on !

Come on !   I'm a mechanic....I don't do saints....or pixies....or unicorns....or angels !!

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:07 am

Come on !   I'm a mechanic....I don't do saints....or pixies....or unicorns....or angels !!

sacrilege!

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:09 am

Come on !   I'm a mechanic...

If it can't be fixed with a big hammer it must be an electrical fault....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#12 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:08 pm

most kids these days would look for the diagnostic port, as a young lad did once, training with the AA on my 1977 24 volt FFR  ex army Landrover.  

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#13 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:52 pm

I've been away from the trade for a long time now, but even then I would come across dealers with thousands and thousands of pounds worth of diagnostic kit.  And mechanics who had been on seriously expensive manufacturers training courses.  I asked one bright young spark if he remembered Ohms Law....."That's a Country and Western song, isn't it ? "

The bugger was serious.....!

Needless to say, if you had the misfortune to take your problem to that dealership they started off by replacing the battery, alternator, dashboard electronics then every control unit until the fault disappeared.

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:50 am

I've been away from the trade for a long time now, but even then I would come across dealers with thousands and thousands of pounds worth of diagnostic kit.  And mechanics who had been on seriously expensive manufacturers training courses.  I asked one bright young spark if he remembered Ohms Law....."That's a Country and Western song, isn't it ? "

The bugger was serious.....!

Needless to say, if you had the misfortune to take your problem to that dealership they started off by replacing the battery, alternator, dashboard electronics then every control unit until the fault disappeared.

He must have been a "technician" then, like a mechanic but with massive brain damage......

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:49 pm

If you ever come across a mechanic which is also a good fault finder - keep that phone number and don't tell anyone!😀

Edited by Bjørge, 18 February 2020 - 07:49 pm.

Bjørge

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:20 pm

He must have been a "technician" then, like a mechanic but with massive brain damage......

Lolzio
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users