• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:43 pm

Me MK2a pet cock is in a bad way,  the slim filter that is built into the pet cock and protrudes up into the fuel tank has failed.  Can this pet cock be fixed with a new filter?  I see Wemoto sell a fuel tap repair kit but i don't tink the filter is included,  eye will ringum on Monday though and ask.  Anyone else got some sage advice fir me?

Wank you very crutch,  Wicklamulla.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:01 pm

do away with the filter and add an inline one

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:00 pm

+1  

MK2a has a inline FF as std hiding under the seat, as you know, just eyeball it after you get the worst of the crud out of the tank - if reqd replace with a motorfactors cheapo of similar dimensions,

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:33 pm

+1  

MK2a has a inline FF as std hiding under the seat, as you know, just eyeball it after you get the worst of the crud out of the tank - if reqd replace with a motorfactors cheapo of similar dimensions,

tanks Favs,  yep i know bout that one.  I was keen to replace the in tank one.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:05 pm

Any use? Cheap enough for a punt?

https://www.banggood.com/34mm-Gas-Petcock-Fuel-Tap-Valve-Switch-Pump-For-YamahaSuzukiHondaKawasaki-p-1157578.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:36 pm

tanks Favs,  i bought one for about £5.50 which is the traditional type with a reserve position,  even though i don't need the reserve feature as i have a fuel gauge and a reserve warning lamp i can still use it and simply set it to the reserve position permanently.  W

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:06 pm

tanks Favs,  i bought one for about £5.50 which is the traditional type with a reserve position,  even though i don't need the reserve feature as i have a fuel gauge and a reserve warning lamp i can still use it and simply set it to the reserve position permanently.  W

update;  I may have bought the wrong wan but i trawled thru Banggood earlier and tink i found an almost exact match for the original fuel tap.  We'll see when it turns up.

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:36 pm

On a similar note has anyone fitted an accessable fuel tap to a Mk2A 4tx?

It would be handy for over winter to be able to shut the fuel off and run the carbs dry to save the crud build up, it seems a real PITA to get the tank off to shut the standard one off (or have I not found it yet?), my fazer wasn't too bad as one bolt and the tank could be lifted and the tap got at, I'm too lazy to take half the bodywork off to do the same on the TDM.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:49 am

It's a leccy pump on the mk2a so you shouldn't get any fuel dribbling into the carbs.  You could try disconnecting the fuel pump 'lectrics and running it dry that way, might work ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:04 am

I would imagine even with a leccy pump having the fuel level above the carbs it must still dribble through past the valves, I'm assuming by the clicking it's just a diaphram with a flap valve each side and a pressure cut off (prolly not even a cut off) so nothing to stop fuel going in the proper direction, it would only stop it back flowing.

We have a similar type fuel pump on our test bed at work and we only use it at higher rpm, at lower rpm we just let the engines own mechanical pump draw it through, some have no pump at all on the engine and they still run up fairly well in the lower ranges with gravity pushing it through the pump.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:04 pm

I can't say if the leccy pump still dribbles fuel or not, but, I never had a problem with flooding on my mk2a and the pump always wanted to prime every time I started it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:16 pm

It's not flooding I'm thinking of as the floats should deal with that without any issues, it's being able to run the carbs dry and keep them dry over winter I'm thinking of to prevent crud build up, I'm a serious fair weather rider these days and gummed carbs can be a PITA if fuel dribbles through slowly as it evaporates, there's too much crud in modern fuel and most stays behind as the spirits evaporate.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:25 pm

Ok, well, I thought it might be worth a try as it'd be easier than lifting the tank.  I used to dump some redex in the mk2a tank and run her up every 2-4 weeks over winter and never had a problem with the carbs gumming up.  And yeah, I know gummed up carbs are a PITA as I have a mk1. :lol:

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:27 pm

Disconnect power to pump, clamp the fuel pipe, run dry & reconnect pump? 

BTW my Mk2a never let fuel past when switched off either :good:

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:29 am

It's not flooding I'm thinking of as the floats should deal with that without any issues, it's being able to run the carbs dry and keep them dry over winter I'm thinking of to prevent crud build up, I'm a serious fair weather rider these days and gummed carbs can be a PITA if fuel dribbles through slowly as it evaporates, there's too much crud in modern fuel and most stays behind as the spirits evaporate.

Snowy,  i guess ya cud simply fit a fuel tap assembly from an earlier TDM 850 (1996-1998) in conjunction with the existing fuel tap.

#16 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:05 am

Alternatively - the fool filter is under the seat on the Mk2a - disconnect an block the feed - then run dry.

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:22 am

Snowy,  i guess ya cud simply fit a fuel tap assembly from an earlier TDM 850 (1996-1998) in conjunction with the existing fuel tap.

That's probably the plan to go for, time for an ebay hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users