chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:31 pm

You can always refit the hids after the mot and remove them next year

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3242 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:43 am

You can always refit the hids after the mot and remove them next year

This is true, but can i be asked, na. I just use the S10 at night.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3243 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:18 pm

Replaced chain adjuster bolts for brass ones :)

Serviced calipers x3 :)

Gave bike a quick wash and coating of ACF :)

Had a test ride while HM's finest are watching footy and called in for a radler ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3244 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:55 am

a Radler eh Favs, even noicer on a hot day is an Apfelschorlesauer :yeyeye:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3245 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:38 am

Trust you to like a stiff kind Stiefkind :drinks:

#3246 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:38 pm

with great please her, I report the sorting of my '92's suspension.

New steering head bearings, fork seals, oil, springs.

Cleaned up rust and painted swingarm, new bearings.

NEW CUSTOM BUILT shock absorber from Cogent Dynamics, Fletcher North Carolina. Goodbye to the lame and blown out OEM emulsion shock (reminded me of my ex-wife). Cogent had to dissect it in measuring/testing for new shock and it was sadly not in any condition to be reassembled. 

Cogent charged me just under $500 dollars. The shock is beautiful, works flawless, adjustable damping and preload. Amazing work. Very high quality.

If anyone in US wants to replace their OEM unit, you have to get in touch with Cogent. Now that they built mine, they should be able to duplicate the design for any other TDM owners. I'm sure they will ship overseas as well. Small company, had to wait a bit to get it but well worth it.

Not sure on the fork springs yet. Race Tech .85s. I have way too much preload which I will have to back off. I think the springs will be ok but firm once I sort the preload.

#3247 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:41 am

Just done 1700 trouble free miles around Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Absolutely amazing roads 👍👍👍

#3248 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:23 pm

Just done 1700 trouble free miles around Scotland
Absolutely amazing roads

Did it Rain ?

#3249 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:03 pm

Changed the cam chain and got around to checking the valve clearances.  The chain had lenghtened by about 3-4mm (103000 miles if original chain) so it's worth a degree or two of crank timing. Whether I'll feel a difference or not will have to wait till I run it.

All exhausts within spec but all but one inlets had closed to below 0.05mm (spec is 0.15 - 0.2)  Surprised that it even ran , hopefully no valve/seat damage, but as it's on the cold side I think they're okay

Did I hear mention of a collection of shims in the group ? I'm looking for the following...

1.85 x 2

1.875 x 2

1.9 x 1

1.925 x 1

I can get them on ebay by the looks of it if not available here

Edited by fixitsan, 23 June 2018 - 02:06 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3250 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:45 pm

I've got four - one each of 182, 186, 188, 196 as marked, or 1.83, 1.85, 1.87, 1.97 as measured, respectively.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#3251 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:20 pm

I've got four - one each of 182, 186, 188, 196 as marked, or 1.83, 1.85, 1.87, 1.97 as measured, respectively.

Thanks Steve but I've only gone and found some from when I had my 850's, !! I had just the right ones. All inlet clearances are now in spec except one at 0.22mm, but as they seem to be closing up i can live with it.

Oil changed, air filter cleaned, new spark plugs, HT leads wrapped with SA tape.

I've refitted the pipe coming from the head using the original o-rings plus one new thin one behind it and a smear of Yamabond. The side bracket is pushing it down into the hole really well so I'll leave it to fate ;)

I don't appear to have any leaks so I'm about go take it for a spin before putting the side panels back on and then hopefully go for a good run up to Glencoe tomorrow.

EDIT - did a 20 mile run to check everything out and still no leaks, I might be imagining it but it feels perkier now. (But that might just be because I've been riding my daughters XJ600 Diversion for a week !

Edited by fixitsan, 23 June 2018 - 08:01 pm.

#3252 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:24 pm

Did it Rain ?

1 really wet day, and 1 really, really windy day..

#3253 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:29 pm

1 really wet day, and 1 really, really windy day..

That's pretty damn good for Scotland then !  Good for you.

It can be really good on the very, very rare occasion you get good weather.

Pity about the majority of the sods that live there …...

#3254 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:40 pm

Done about 200 miles of Scotlands finest, to Tyndrum, Glencoe, Oban, Lochgilphead, Inverary and back, after meeting an old work mate I hadn't seen for 16 years. He on a new BMW S1000 XR and me on my 103000 mile niner with new cam chain and I couldn't keep up with him on the straights, but as he insisted on going in front he gave me a clue about which way the road was going so I could accelerate out of corners faster than him.  He couldn't believe the mileage of the old 9 that sat behind him. And I'm glad I coughed up for a Pilot Power 3 on the rear

#3255 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:17 pm

That's pretty damn good for Scotland then !  Good for you.
It can be really good on the very, very rare occasion you get good weather.

Pity about the majority of the sods that live there …...

Not a fan of the inhabitants of the the Promised Land then ?

#3256 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:06 pm

Not a fan of the inhabitants of the the Promised Land then ?

Not all of them.  I was born there and lived there for nearly sixty years of my life. Honestly, this isn't the place, but one short true story...…   My pal and I, both just fifteen years old, thought it would be a great idea to escape Glasgow for a weekend and go camping on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond. We had no money, and probably less sense. Our tent was a length of canvas we'd found and our food for the weekend was a bag of potatoes....I think you can get the picture ?   We'd got a lift as far as Balmaha and were trudging our way to Rowardennan when a Landrover pulled up beside us and out jumped the local bouncer, sorry, I suppose his correct title was a ghillie !   " Where do you think you're going ?"   " Well, we're actually looking for somewhere to camp for the night, if that's OK"   " Aye, weel, it's not, get out of here !"   It was March, getting dark and getting decidedly cold.  " But where can we camp ?"  " No here !"

Aye, wha's like us indeed ?    

Now I'm in a right mood, I'll need to go and tear up a copy of the Sunday Post to get out of it !!

#3257 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:14 pm

Deleted due to Peed off with GOOGLE PHOTO FARCE

Back thanks to imgur

Not many out today...

Gay Ted road

YodJ8X5.gif

Main road

5XzuN2e.png

Edited by Favs, 25 June 2018 - 09:19 pm.

#3258 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:31 pm

Not all of them.  I was born there and lived there for nearly sixty years of my life. Honestly, this isn't the place, but one short true story...…   My pal and I, both just fifteen years old, thought it would be a great idea to escape Glasgow for a weekend and go camping on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond. We had no money, and probably less sense. Our tent was a length of canvas we'd found and our food for the weekend was a bag of potatoes....I think you can get the picture ?   We'd got a lift as far as Balmaha and were trudging our way to Rowardennan when a Landrover pulled up beside us and out jumped the local bouncer, sorry, I suppose his correct title was a ghillie !   " Where do you think you're going ?"   " Well, we're actually looking for somewhere to camp for the night, if that's OK"   " Aye, weel, it's not, get out of here !"   It was March, getting dark and getting decidedly cold.  " But where can we camp ?"  " No here !"

Aye, wha's like us indeed ?    

Now I'm in a right mood, I'll need to go and tear up a copy of the Sunday Post to get out of it !!

Oops
Sorry didn't mean to stir the pot
Yep Some of the Locals are just a waste of Oxygen
But I still meet the odd decent one now and again

How is living in France ?
Don't think I'd be able to keep of the Wine during the week

#3259 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:56 pm

Deleted due to Peed off with piccy farce

EH ? That was a great shot

#3260 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:22 pm

Oops
Sorry didn't mean to stir the pot
Yep Some of the Locals are just a waste of Oxygen
But I still meet the odd decent one now and again

How is living in France ?
Don't think I'd be able to keep of the Wine during the week

Aye, just ignore Celtic exaggeration,  it's as you've probably found just a minority.  They're either great or just total turds.  You'd think that a country like Scotland that really has nothing going for it at all except fabulous scenery once every 7 years would try and do something positive. Like get rid of the fu**ing attitude !  

For over fifteen years myself and a bunch of pals would pick two points as far apart as possible in Scotland and then run it on our bikes. Runs like from the Mull of Galloway to Tongue in the north and Longformacus to Ardnamurchan. Absolutely great runs.  But the hospitality was a complete gamble. Some of the cheapest B&B's treated us like kings and some 3star hotels more or less turned us away.

Now this was a real rare occurrence....  We'd got involved with the international MZ club who we'd met up with in Glencoe, a bunch of German, Dutch and English folk, great company !  We were booked into the only hotel in Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula and the lot of us turned up with most of the MZ club trailing in after us.  We'd all got booked in and in those days, drinking was done.  It turned out that the hotel had recently been taken over by a Yorkshireman who was manning the bar.  Now as the MZ crew turned up in dribs and drabs he leant on his side of the bar and watched them getting settled and faffing about with German and English trying to get a drinks order together.  Now we all knew that in those days licencing times were "flexible" in those out of the way places, so we never said anything to the MZ ers. Eventually a couple of them approached the bar with a pretty prodigious drinks order and were told " Sorry, cant serve you, you're five minutes too late !"  What a c*nt !

As a result, the twelve of us who had booked and completely filled the hotel, and booked meals as well, all walked out to show our disgust and left him with an empty hotel and an apoplexy !

Us twelve, and the MZ ers all managed to get put up in local B&B's even if some of them were actually barns, where one of the best impromptu ceilidhs took place.  God knows where the drink came from ?  But every single one of us got a damn good cooked breakfast and it was for buttons.  

So there you go, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

But just to let you know how rare it was to get bad service from an incomer, I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the decent, hard working English settlers who took over some historic hostelries in Scotland, like the Clachaig in Glencoe for example, tourists would be hard pushed to get anything at all.

So, how's France ?  No comparison really.  Just back from a 2800km tour to Mont Ventoux, Turin, and the Pyrenees on my TDM 850, which thanks to this forum never missed a beat. Today, purely on the spur of the moment, I fired up the TDM and cruised over the St Nazaire bridge and did a wee tour of southern Brittany.  You can turn up absolutely anywhere and get decent, friendly service whether you're just having a coffee or a 5 course meal...… and the sun's splitting the sky, of course !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users