294 replies to this topic

#1 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:47 pm

Hello all, Im always browsing through this forum! Bowing in on all your problems, tips and other queries. Ive sorned the 3vd, well I did this back in September! Since then, Ive decorated my home a little, started Christmas shopping (well the boss has with a bit of assistance!) and ate numerous bags of chocolates.
Ive decided that now the old girl runs ok, to finally give her a face lift and a nice restomod. Ill be getting a bit more funding as we are in the process of remortgaging and thats going to save close to £100 a month. Which the boss is already spending, but Ive pleaded for a bit! Haha.
Ive seen many restomods on here and the Facebook page. Some are really great to look at! Only tool I can tell theyve used is the angle grinder, but they look quite nice! A bit more modern, if you wish.
If anyone can recommend a decent frame paint and a how to guide, we can be mates!
I also need the clips for the inlet rubbers between the carbs and engine. Mine have been over tightened or become slack, due to the amount of times the carbs have been off. So, if anyone has any lying around or know where I can purchase such items, brilliant.
Its meant to say nosing and not bowing....

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:03 pm

inox have stainless narrow hoseclips, which are really nice

http://www.inoxbolt....roducts_id=1484

not sure of the size for TDM though.

easy bit fro frame is to get it powder coated, good ones will sandbalst, mask and paint. local to me only costs £80

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:22 am

Cheers, I will have a scan at some local shops that do it and try get a decent quote. Ill also have a measure of my rubbers, Ill post the size when I get the chance!

#4 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:32 am

They`re not too pricey OEM, but I think the postage is about a fiver. If you`ve got a Yam dealer nearby you might get them ordered in at the same price wit no del charge . Item 10 on the fische.

https://www.fowlersp...93-999-c/intake

#5 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:29 pm

This is a picture of a tdm Ive seen on the web, love it, Im going to try and base mine on this. Using some similar ideas.

Attached Files

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:17 pm

That was on Faceache awhile back now, dunno if you would get away with the blinkers near to the sidelight at MOT ! and i wonder where he moved the reg/rec.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:27 pm

I think the person isnt English. But Id have the blinkers further apart, and itd have to be further down the frame! I wouldnt have that close to the engine. Maybe he moved it to under the seat somewhere? I saw it on faceyb too.
It looks like the headlights have been modified and the surround turned upside down?

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:57 pm

It looks like the headlights have been modified and the surround turned upside down?

I was going to say the headlights are upside down.  I bought an 850 headlight for my 9er project and that orientation is the natural position to have them for a naked bike, but then I noticed the lenses are the wrong way around.

I put some cheap dominator lights on mine for now, but I might have a go again with the 850 lights and try that idea.

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:59 pm

I think this is a much better finish although somewhat different, good luck.

Attached File  post-180842-0-56454200-1506724926_thumb.jpg   73.72KB   0 downloads

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:13 pm

I believe Id only have to turn the surround around, make a bracket and adjust for mot.
Dablik, that looks like an old street triple set up?
Got any pictures nog?

#11 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:51 pm

Got any pictures nog?

It's a work in progress and will be evolving some more.  Was going the way of a rat bike but I went a bit "mad max" with it.

dlE5R6v.jpg?1

Frame is now black with some spot lights on the engine bars

tcdu79H.jpg?1

I feel the lights are too small for the cowl and so I need to fettle a bracket to get the 850 lights on and see what happens, they're pretty heavy compared to these so need a more substantial mounting.

The bike had many years of hard commuting so it's a little cosmetically challenged and wont be as nice as those above, but it turns heads, although maybe not for the right reasons ;)

Edited by Nog, 14 November 2017 - 04:53 pm.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:02 pm

I like it. :)  Pity you didn't show us the Danni rear end. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:24 pm

I like it. :)  Pity you didn't show us the Danni rear end. :D

Does my bum look big in this?

lXvpa7m.jpg?1

#14 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:15 pm

What tyres do you have on that?

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#15 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:28 pm

Thats a good effort! Looks great! Like the tail. Did you paint the frame yourself?

#16 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:09 pm

I found this on eBay, after searching for the intake rubber clamps and got the part number, apparently the same part fits these bikes as well. Thought it might help someone?

Attached Files

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:22 pm

Does my bum look big in this?

lXvpa7m.jpg?1

Hell yeah ! :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:29 pm

I can't see, it,s blocking out the sun

#19 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:20 am

What tyres do you have on that?

Continental TKC 80.  Had to put an R6 front wheel on the front as they don't fit the standard size, but wanted to anyway as it lowered the bike slightly and sharpened the steering a tad.

They're surprisingly grippy tyres, think they are a pretty soft compound so not sure how long they will last.  Steering is affected a touch with them though and it wants to run in a straight line at slow speeds in corners.  Not sure I'd use them again unless it was a pretty much 100% off road bike, but certainly look the part :)

Did you paint the frame yourself?

Yeah the frame is painted with a 2 pack epoxy paint I had lying around from painting the chassis of an old kit car I had years ago.  It's really solid and comes out a bit like powder coat, although I had to brush it on and it still needs sanding in places to get it to a smooth surface, but I don't mind too much as it sort of suits the 'industrial' look of the bike.

I also painted the engine black with some stove paint.  Works well with a satin finish and stands up to the heat no problem.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:21 am

I like that it's just different and i like that big fat bum :yeyeye:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users