• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cclivve

Cclivve

sticking around

• 27 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:37 pm

Well after a month or so of riding my first TDM 900 these are brief thoughts about how it compares to a Wee Strom.
I have owned three 650 Stroms and loved them all. I sold the last one and bought a 1984 BMW R 800 as something different. The BMs another story but let's say I needed modernity again.
A friend owns a TDM and always reckoned it was better than the Suzuki but he never rode one. Still he knew his bikes so I decided to investigate.
Finding a nice 2010 black Yamah took a few weeks but found a beauty.
How does it compare?
First the engine. TDM is stronger as you would expect and very smooth. Doesn't have the vibration buzz at 5000rpm of the Strom. First gear is a bit clunky and doesn't change quite as slickly as the Suzuki. Love the smooth flow of power with the 900. Pulled the brown & black wire from the ECU and cured the snatchy throttle response, so much better now. V-Strom was a bit that way too. Fuel consumption better than the V which is amazing.
Brakes, better by far. Back brake on the V was a joke. Front stoppers superb but no ABS on mine which is a pity.
Comfort about on a par but the seat height seems lower. The general balance of the bike is lower and it feels lighter. Peg position doesn't suit standing aswell. Not planning dirt riding though ,I have a dirt bike for that.
Handling feels different, not quite as sharp but very predictable and confidence inspiring. The suspension is better no doubt about that especially the front which has a nice feeling to it, absorbs small bumps with no harshness and larger ones don't faze it. Back doesn't have the easy to operate pre load of the Suzuki. Bit of a hassle every time I take my wife along having to muck around with a C spanner.
Wind protection very similar, I'm running the standard screen. It's a bit poorer in wind deflection but the V-Storm had a Givi screen.
Finish is alround better it's not so much of a budget bike. Mine has 40 k on the clock and looks new.
All in all I think the TDM wins the contest and I'm loving the ride. This is from a died in the wool DL 650 believer. I guess the argument will go on and maybe the looks play a part too. For me function is most important so looks come second. If I wanted a pretty bike I might look elsewhere.
Value for money ,well I paid $6000 and it's as good to ride than my mates BMW 1200 worth $18000+ Well actually better but I am too polite to say that to his face!
The forum played a big part in my research so thanks to all the members for the input.
Looking forward to being part of the TDM family for many a while.

Attached Files

#2 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:11 pm

Lovely looking bike - a real beauty!

Riggers.

#3 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:51 pm

The suspension is better no doubt about that especially the front which has a nice feeling to it, absorbs small bumps with no harshness and larger ones don't faze it.

My 2004 shocks my wrists on small bumps, manhole covers etc.  That is before and after service, correct setting up and oil change.  One of my main gripes with it.  I understand Yamaha made several changes to the forks over time.  Sounds like they got it right by 2010.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:54 pm

Yes, lovely bike, but I would say that......Attached File  7FFB0279-CE96-4292-AC84-747A3662D780.jpeg   155.94KB   1 downloads

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#5 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:08 pm

Nice bike !

comparing it against a v-strom is not very fair for the latter...  ;)

My 2004 shocks my wrists on small bumps, manhole covers etc.  That is before and after service, correct setting up and oil change.  One of my main gripes with it.  I understand Yamaha made several changes to the forks over time.  Sounds like they got it right by 2010.

Actually the only change on the front fork was in 2004 !

2004+ are softer than 2002-2003.

I found the damping can change a lot with the air temperature but I guess Mallorca winters are not that cold.

Front fork behavior may also change with the front tyre wear / type.

Edited by JBX, 04 June 2018 - 05:46 pm.

top_640.png

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:15 pm

And Cclivve, make sure you get the rear suspension greased up very soon, my 2013 bike was already showing signs that it was lacking in that department!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#7 Cclivve

Cclivve

sticking around

• 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:08 am

Just my thoughts and not at all saying I've got it right. But these two bikes do get compared ,the 1000 cc V-Strom is probably a fairer comparison but I reckon the old type 1000s were not as good as the 650. Have not ridden the new model so can't comment.
Just a question, has anyone found a good spot to mount an air horn ? I don't have engine protection bars so can't do that.
Also I heard heavy rain can cause misfiring even a good wash. Any thoughts?

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:52 am

Some years ago I bought a new V-strom 1000 after realising I could no longer cope with the riding position of my VFR800. I never had a test ride beforehand and sadly from the moment I picked up the bike I didn't like it.

Firstly I found it too lofty and by far. I'm 5' 11" but found it a real problem touching my feet down and only really felt comfortable when carrying a pillion passenger to sink the bike a bit lower.

Next was the very, very high 'over drive' top gear which the bike could hardly pull. This effectively reduced the gearbox to 5 speed as top could only be engaged on rare occasions. 

The screen was adjustable but not on the move, and even at a standstill was a bit of faffing about.

I know this last point is subjective but I didn't like the way it looked and found little about it to take pride in, so unfortunately I took a hit in my pocket and got rid. It was part exchanged for a second hand FJR1300 which was everything the V-strom wasn't, and served me well until creeping rheumatoid arthritis forced me to downsize to a TDM900. 

Comparing a TDM900 to a V-strom 1000 is in my opinion no contest. The Yam feels lighter, smoother, better braked, better balanced, and nicer to look at. The V-strom had more power but due to the aforementioned top gear couldn't properly be used. 

Riggers.

#9 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:00 am

Also I heard heavy rain can cause misfiring even a good wash. Any thoughts?

Never had a problem with my 2010, and I use A LOT of water everywhere, when washing it.

Nice bike btw. When you go black, you never go back   :lol:  

Edited by TDM4ever, 05 June 2018 - 07:01 am.

#10 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:47 pm

Actually the only change on the front fork was in 2004 !

2004+ are softer than 2002-2003.

I found the damping can change a lot with the air temperature but I guess Mallorca winters are not that cold.

Front fork behavior may also change with the front tyre wear / type.

The compliance of the forks is good.  It is their high resistance to deflect on small bumps that is the problem.  It has been suggested to fit cartridge emulators as a solution, one which I am reluctant to spend money on unless a guaranteed solution.  My 3VD is the benchmark I judge my 9'er against and in suspension, it falls far short while in most other respects, it is a step forward.

Edited by Hombre, 05 June 2018 - 03:48 pm.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#11 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:04 pm

Pulled the brown & black wire from the ECU and cured the snatchy throttle response, so much better now.

Welcome to the club Cclive, lovely bike - hope you enjoy riding her. 

Interested in the ECU wire mod, looked around here and couldn't find any threads about it. Despite the TPS recall and the air box mod my 02 9'er has a very snatchy throttle (esp at low revs) requiring constant slipping of the clutch at low speeds. Do you or anyone know more please? 

"To do is to be." - Socrates.
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant.
"Do be do be do" – Frank Sinatra

#12 Cclivve

Cclivve

sticking around

• 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:31 am

Hi Gowza
I just googled air flap modification TDM 900 and a detailed way of doing said modification in 3 different ways came up. This seemed the quickest. Have not noticed any down sides to the mod.
It's a lovely bike to ride and value for money hard to beat.
Reading some comments about greasing suspension linkage, seems like a nightmare but now I'm worried about how hard a job it is.
Feel I should check it out but not feeling confident about the problems I might come across. What thoughts?

#13 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:59 am

Hi Cclivve, 

I never realised the brown/black wire to ECU mod had anything to do with the airbox...Aha! 

Modded mine by disconnecting the vacuum pipe and then making sure it was properly sealed on the injector side, all very straight forward. Did it yonks ago so can't remember exactly what difference it made but I've kept it modded and it certainly sounds more throaty on the induction side. 

The rear suspension linkage is on my to-do and likewise, not looking forward to what I might find. Arthurbikemad had a great step by step guide on this page: http://www.carpe-tdm...age 900&page=3 but his pics seem to have disappeared.

(@Studley Ramrod / @dapleb - any idea where Arthur's pics have gone?)

Quick add - I remember Arthur saying to use an Aussie UHT EP grease called Tru-Blu as this wonder stuff won't weaken the rubber seals like oil based lithium grease could. Apparently it's so good it also washes whiter than white, buys your drinks at the bar and makes you more attractive to women...

Edited by Gowza, 08 June 2018 - 12:03 pm.

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:03 am

This any help Gowza, scroll down, from the Master himself.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:15 am

Thanks Dabbers, much appreciated. Should've known all roads lead to JBX's excellent TDMipedia. 

I'd even cleared the plant pots from the greenhouse in preparation for Arthur's take on this, I'll put 'em back now!  :)

Edited by Gowza, 08 June 2018 - 11:55 am.

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:24 am

Dabbers not Dappers Gowza :D easy mistake just think of Dabbers as the handsome one and it's sorted, anyhoo's your welcome matey.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:57 am

Dabbers not Dappers Gowza :D easy mistake just think of Dabbers as the handsome one and it's sorted, anyhoo's your welcome matey.

Edited my post to make it look like nothing ever happened... :rolleyes:

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:30 pm

:punishment:................................................. :lol: 

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:51 pm

think of Dabbers as the handsome one

Awwww dabbers. I were only joshing...I reckon between us we have a little something for everyone.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:51 pm

Awwww dabbers. I were only joshing...I reckon between us we have a little something for everyone.

:giveusahug: see wot i mean by an easy mistake Gowza :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users