17 replies to this topic

#1 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:01 pm

Just got bike back from having new headstock bearing and it was pointed out my fork oil seals are fecked.

So guess I need Seal kit & Bushes kit but how much oil and what type??

Also getting intermittent starting since you have to press start button several times before it will turn over.

Would this be a fecked starter motor or relay??

#2 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:53 pm

There you are : http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=FRK

If I was working for Microsoft, I'd say your start button needing several pushes to actually fire the engine is a safety and anti-theft feature.  ;)

top_640.png

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:50 am

Starting problem seems like a possible wiring connection, seperate the switch and have a look and check connections, could also possibly be starter motor bushes if wiring is okay, the fact that it will start rules out the relay really! bushes can be replaced in the starter motor. Could be the switch needs a clean up.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Gauntlett

Gauntlett

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:54 am

Try a seal saver first, it may just be a bit if road shite stuck in there, if its just started weeping

#5 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:34 am

Thanks for advice folks.

Starting problem seems like a possible wiring connection, seperate the switch and have a look and check connections, could also possibly be starter motor bushes if wiring is okay, the fact that it will start rules out the relay really! bushes can be replaced in the starter motor. Could be the switch needs a clean up.

Wiring could be issue since had to have new loom made for it after last owner wired the 12v Output socket and air horn direct to battery with no relays and kept shorting out.

Which is this the correct repair kit?
https://www.ebay.co....725.m3641.l6368

https://www.ebay.co....7QAAOSwYeRZ7hQ5

Try a seal saver first, it may just be a bit if road shite stuck in there, if its just started weeping

Mechanic says ones is definitely FUBAR since leaves oil rings evely time the forks move and the Dust seals are knackerd.

So guess Slinky Glide fork seal and fork bush kit with 1L of oil from WEMOTO should cover it??

Edited by Grendel, 19 June 2018 - 11:03 am.

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:21 am

i was ready to replace fork seals last year as one was weeping. i cleaned the seals with a home made seal saver using a plastic pop bottle as i had nothing to lose. it did the job and still not leaking after about 3000kms. not saying your mechanics wrong but worth a try for a few minutes work, plenty of vids on youtube on how to do it.  fork oil amount should be easy enough to find out on the net but when i did mine i had some left over with a litre bottle. with hindsight, i wish i'd bought a litre of cheap fork oil to flush the forks with then put a good quality one in.

#7 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:15 pm

To be honest not surprised if fork seals are dead. It had sticky front calliper and warped front disk when I got the bike and the Headstock bearing was extremely dead.

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:30 pm

Thanks for advice folks.

Wiring could be issue since had to have new loom made for it after last owner wired the 12v Output socket and air horn direct to battery with no relays and kept shorting out.

Which is this the correct repair kit?
https://www.ebay.co....725.m3641.l6368

https://www.ebay.co....7QAAOSwYeRZ7hQ5

Mechanic says ones is definitely FUBAR since leaves oil rings evely time the forks move and the Dust seals are knackerd.

So guess Slinky Glide fork seal and fork bush kit with 1L of oil from WEMOTO should cover it??

Either kit would do but the 2nd supplies new bearings as well which may need old ones pressing out, i would be inclined to remove the starter before hand and take a look, if anything it's most likely the bushes need replacing but so long as you have a length between 5mm and 12mm their good, you'll dribble some oil when you remove it also...but check the wiring 1st, might be no need to look at the starter, check all battery connections are good also cos it could simply be a battery connection worked a bit loose over time giving you an intermittant start ?

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:00 pm

earth strap?

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:00 am

earth strap?

Is it earthed to the back of the engine under the rubber cover !!!

#11 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:23 pm

Wiring should be OK since had new loom made for it. And it had the same problem since i bought it.

Did interesting thing earlier whern i stalled it wouldn't let me restart even in neutral for a few seconds then it fired up?

I'm wandering if it may be starter relay??

Regarding oil leak when i remove starter motor do i need to drain engine oil first or is it just a bit of a drip??

Edited by Grendel, 20 June 2018 - 01:27 pm.

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:17 pm

Battery connections are not part of your new loom so check em out, have you checked sidestand switch also, when you remove the starter it will dribble out so not much, no need to empty oil 1st just top up after..

Plenty of vids on you tube to check starter relay, does it click once or click click click click ?

What's the new loom you had made, a whole brand new wiring loom for the bike !

Wiring should be OK since had new loom made for it. And it had the same problem since i bought it.

Did interesting thing earlier whern i stalled it wouldn't let me restart even in neutral for a few seconds then it fired up?

I'm wandering if it may be starter relay??

Regarding oil leak when i remove starter motor do i need to drain engine oil first or is it just a bit of a drip??

Dont presume everthing is tickety boo

You still need to check the starter connection in the switch if your getting intermediate starts, you could be spending when you dont need to Grendel.

#13 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:37 am

if all else fails power from a battery direct to starter with suitable heavy wire that rules out everything else 

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:25 pm

if all else fails power from a battery direct to starter with suitable heavy wire that rules out everything else 

Good suggestion :good:

#15 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:26 pm

New loom was to replace the fiasco of having inginition air horn and 12V outlet wired direct to battery by previous owner.

As for sidestand switch it dosnt have one since it wasnt conected so I removed it. 

Also ordered starter rebuild kit and new solenoid and work up from there.   

Edited by Grendel, 22 June 2018 - 02:40 pm.

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:42 am

As for sidestand switch it dosnt have one since it wasnt conected so I removed it

:hide:  You daring man !

Bjørge

#17 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:01 am

Didn’t have them in the old days, which led to some interesting left hand corners after setting off when I was a courier!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:26 pm

i'd start by simply opening up the handlebar switch cluster and inspecting the push button contacts that power the starter motor.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users