Genuine Yamha Centre Stand

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tr7dan_*

Guest_tr7dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:40 pm

Fitted a genuine Yam centre stand to my '07 TDM900 at the weekend so I thought I'd do a pictorial from a diy'ers point of view. I paid £129.38 for the stand and here's how I fitted it.....

There are a total of eighteen parts in the kit inc. washers, nuts, etc. and a parts list to check 'em against.

I used a paddock stand to support the bike and give better access but I reckon it should be do-able on the side stand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The instruction sheet is one of those godawful generic numbered diagrams but, to be honest, it wasn't TOO difficult to decipher. There are three stages to fitting the stand, first, remove silencers and the bolt holding front pipe bracket under engine and loosen the pipes at the exhaust port clamps.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....then assemble the two main stand parts and springs OFF the bike.....not forgetting to grease the pivot bolts.... and torque the nuts to 50Nm (needs to be held in a vice)

>>>>>>>>

I fitted the large spring first, using the old 'washers between the coils' trick to increase the length of the spring thus saving grazed knuckles and gouged fingers. Just bend the spring one way, then t'other, inserting a washer in the open coil each time until it's long enough to reach the mounting holes, then just extend the stand and the washers should just fall out as the spring stretches.

>>>>>>>>

The smaller spring has a rubber sleeve over it, and it fits inside the larger spring. I used a little furniture spray to lube the rubber sleeve and it made it so much easier to fit. The small spring is light enough to be able to hook in position just using a pair of pliers. I also fitted the rubber bump stop at this stage.

>>>>>>>>

I then assembled the stand to the bike using the three hexagon socket head screws and washers supplied. The washers are just plain so I put a dab of Loctite on the threads and then torqued them up to 27Nm. Because the screws are socket heads you'll need a method of connecting a hexagon key to the torque wrench, also, it now became apparent why it's necessary to slacken the exhaust port nuts - the pipes are in the way of the fixing holes and have to be pushed to one side to get the screws in.

Finally, with the stand on the bike and tightened up I removed the paddock stand and tried it out. I think the bike has to be put on the main stand to get the silencers back on and also the right hand exhaust clamp has to be rotated 90 degrees to clear the stand spring. Last items I fitted were the extended hero blobs, again with a dab of Loctite on.

>>>>>>>>

OK, that's it - job done, exhausts back on and everything tightened up. Took about an hour to do including figuring out the installation diagram as all the text was in German. As you can see, it don't half lift the back wheel high up off the deck and when I take it off the stand it feels like it's bumping off a kerb.

Dan

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:03 pm

Excellent 'how-to'... good.gif

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:26 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Tue 7th Apr 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent 'how-to'... good.gif

Never seen the washer/spring expanding technique before.

What a simple yet brilliant idea.

I'll be locking that in my memory bank.

BD

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#4 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:01 am

QUOTE(big dave @ Tue 7th Apr 2009, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never seen the washer/spring expanding technique before.

What a simple yet brilliant idea.

I'll be locking that in my memory bank.

wot he said...
I should have known this when I installed teh centre stand on the gf's FZ6 last week rolleyes.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:59 pm

Brilliant wroite up and pics, tanks very much Dan. Can ya tellous whats the classic boike thats just in shot in the last photograph please ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 Guest_tr7dan_*

Guest_tr7dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:41 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 30th Apr 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brilliant wroite up and pics, tanks very much Dan. Can ya tellous whats the classic boike thats just in shot in the last photograph please ???

Cheers....

.....the classic bike is my 1954 Matchless G80S competition replica......here's a piccy

Dan

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:37 am

fook me thas a lovely bit of history, if i cud borrow that ferra spin i'm sure i could fall off of it !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Buddner

Buddner

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:08 am

Anyone know if there are any other stands from other bikes that fit the 2006 vertion of the TDM? Trying to pic a centre stand second hand, there very hard to find.

#9 norty

norty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:47 pm

QUOTE(Buddner @ Wed 16th Sep 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know if there are any other stands from other bikes that fit the 2006 vertion of the TDM? Trying to pic a centre stand second hand, there very hard to find.

SW Mortech do one here - not cheap though

#10 Buddner

Buddner

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:35 pm

QUOTE(norty @ Wed 16th Sep 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like i'll have to get a new centre stand, there like 'hens teeth' second hand. I mean they don't exist.

#11 Guest_tr7dan_*

Guest_tr7dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:09 pm

QUOTE(norty @ Wed 16th Sep 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd that ! - it actually costs more than the genuine Yamaha stand.

Why would anyone buy one when the manufacturers own is cheaper and is obviously guaranteed to be the right tool for the job? Beats me.... dunno.gif

Dan

#12 Kevsta

Kevsta

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:44 pm

Thanks for the howto. Took me 30 minutes to fit.
Kevsta

#13 vanjka

vanjka

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:25 pm

QUOTE(Kevsta @ Thu 5th Nov 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the howto. Took me 30 minutes to fit.

Hi, I read your how to post and liked it. I have a qestion though. Is it possible to fit a centerstand from a TDM 850 onto a 09 TDM 900? If so is the same or very different to do than the original 09 stand?

Thank you

Ivan

#14 vicens66

vicens66

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:34 am

Hi my guest is they are completely diferent monting point. wink.gif

#15 fleetguy

fleetguy

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:15 am

I'm new to the forum and don't own a TDM yet, but am seriously thinking about getting a 1992 TDM850 here in the U.S. My question: Is there a way to add a center stand to the 1992 TDM850? Can the stock exhaust still be used or does it need to be changed? If anyone has a link to a vendor or know what will do the job?

#16 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:19 am

cracking 'how to' thanks very much

love the spring expansion method!
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

#17 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:40 am

QUOTE(tr7dan @ Tue 22nd Sep 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Odd that ! - it actually costs more than the genuine Yamaha stand.

Why would anyone buy one when the manufacturers own is cheaper and is obviously guaranteed to be the right tool for the job? Beats me.... dunno.gif

Dan

Try buying a genuine part centre stand in Australia! Around $520 (about GBP315 at the moment). I snagged a fantastic bargain on eBay last week in getting one for $325 (about GBP200). I couldn't throw the money at him fast enough!

I find that I get all of my parts from Europe due to the pricing in Australia being FAR too high (comparison: about $3400 (GBP2065) for the Yamaha panniers & top box - no joke!

"A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!"

Additions: K&N Air Filter; Leo Vince slip-ons; Stebel Nautilus air horn; LED spotlights; Wiring control box for accessories & relays; Givi engine bars, rear rack & wing racks; Barkbusters.

Mods: LED headlight bulbs; 530-chain & only using Esjot sprockets; Airbox modification; Top Sellerie Seat + Tank protector; Bar-end mirrors + custom indicators.

185,000+ km (waiting for the day to crack the 200,000km)

#18 mehall2

mehall2

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:16 am

QUOTE(fleetguy @ Wed 25th Aug 2010, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm new to the forum and don't own a TDM yet, but am seriously thinking about getting a 1992 TDM850 here in the U.S. My question: Is there a way to add a center stand to the 1992 TDM850? Can the stock exhaust still be used or does it need to be changed? If anyone has a link to a vendor or know what will do the job?

Hello - I just bought a 92 TDM850 in the Atlanta area. Were you able to find anyone who makes a center stand for this model?

#19 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:25 pm

QUOTE(mehall2 @ Wed 6th Oct 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello - I just bought a 92 TDM850 in the Atlanta area. Were you able to find anyone who makes a center stand for this model?

bikebandit.com?

#20 Jim850O

Jim850O

arrived on last train

• 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:53 am

Great post - I wonder if there is a centre stand available for my '92? I did the itre change last year and it was a pain without the centre stand - so is lubing ar adjusting the chain, even though I have an axel stand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users