SW Motec do them, not cheap though.

#22 frodg

frodg

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:10 pm

Great piece of work this post !!!.

I know it was originally put up in 2009 but I used it yesterday to put a Hepco & Becker centre stand on - almost identical process and it took about 50 minutes...

In Australia the genuine Yamaha stand costs twice (2 times !!!!!) the price of the after market versions..

Thanks

#23 Bathy

Bathy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:39 pm

Attached File  P1040134.JPG   89.63KB   26 downloadsAttached File  P1040148.JPG   122KB   19 downloadsI have just fitted one of the SW Motech centre stands to my 900. Used the spring and washer trick and it worked a treat - thanks. I managed to fit the stand without removing the exhausts although I did have to loosen the right hand side silencer and the centre bolt to access one of the retaining bolts. I also took some of the tension off the assembly by placing a big screw driver in as shown in the picture, this stops the stand pushing on the stop which makes it easier to get the bolts in. I think the spring must sit in closer than the Yamaha one because the exhaust clamp clears the spring although I did cut about 4mm off the bolt just to be on the safe side.

#24 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:53 pm

Hi there

I did a search on the forum for a thread re the TDM side-stand and this one came up. While it is perhaps a little old (and not to do with a side-stand at all), it seems a quality thread to continue on a similar note:

I recently bought a 2009 900, and when showing my new prize possession to a biker-friend he pointed out (nicely) that the side-stand seems a little flimsy (at least, compared with other similar sized bikes); and once pointed out, I had to agree.

I am sure (sort-of) that it is fit for purpose, and I don't tend to sit on the bike on the side-stand anyway... But that aside, is this an issue that others have come across? And if so, has anyone changed it for a stronger non-original type?

:unsure2:

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#25 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:27 pm

Recently fitted the SWMotech centre stand. A little tip.....change the supplied allen bolts for hex head bolts and you don't have to interfere with the exhaust at all, as access to the bolt heads can be gained from the side between subframe and exhausts......saved whats left of me knuckles as well.

Forgot the tip about the washers in the spring though, after promising to commit it to memory !! Its easy enough to strech it, one spring at a time with a wire hook. Trying to stretch both together will result in two uncomfortable swellings in the back of your neck !! Great at parties, shite for procreation !! :P

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#26 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:21 pm

Re side-stand:

Forgive me if it is rude to repeat a question, but I would love to know if anyone else has found issue with the sidestand seeming a little fragile?  :oldgit:

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#27 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:26 pm

Side stand has never been an issue as far as I'm aware.

#28 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:13 am

Thanks Max

#29 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 am

Re side-stand:

Forgive me if it is rude to repeat a question, but I would love to know if anyone else has found issue with the sidestand seeming a little fragile?  :oldgit:

Agree. Only issue I've ever heard about the sidestand is the size of the foot, but that't not peculiar to the TDM. Lot's of people say the imprint is too small and add those extender, enlarger things ooh, careful missus.

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#30 TDM900OZ

TDM900OZ

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:42 pm

I dunno if it's a genuine yamaha one, or anything else about it, but it may be of interest to anyone in Australia looking for a reasonably priced center stand..?

Mine came with one, so I'll pass it on..

https://www.ebay.com...FgAAOSwdx1aH7n8

#31 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:14 pm

That looks genuine...

Might want to post it in For Sale.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#32 TDM900OZ

TDM900OZ

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:51 pm

It's not mine, I saw it on ebay and figured it may be of interest to someone.

#33 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:47 pm

Don't think it's a genuine Yamaha stand, unless they changed them - the one I fitted back in...... OMG 2009 !!... looks different. I think the pivot points on the Yam stand are shouldered bolts and nuts, not split pins.

Looks like a Motech one to me...

Dan

#34 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:37 pm

You'd be much better getting an Abba Stand for servicing  :good:

BTW - if anyone wants a 900 centre stand for a reasonable price - I've got a spare the I got off Studley - 

I sold the bike I was going to put it on to Bjorge - and he didn't want a centre stand - The Niner currently sitting in my garage has already got one 

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#35 EscoGB

EscoGB

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:02 pm

Also just fitted a Centre stand, it only took about 15 minutes to fit and under the collector box it only takes less than 15mm off of the ground clearance underneath.

Attached Files

Edited by EscoGB, 01 February 2018 - 04:05 pm.

#36 grantm

grantm

arrived on last train

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:36 pm

could you advise where you purchased the Yamaha one - or its part No please ? Thanks

#37 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:48 pm

Here ya go

https://www.yamaha-m...0|TDM900|2008/|

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#38 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:14 am

mine came with a center stand, i like the washer trick will make it easier when i take it off again to clean it again, what paint would you suggest for giving it a spray paint?

#39 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:09 am

Excellent. Love that washer trick!
Should have been fitted as standard. Bit of a changer by Yamaha.

#40 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:06 pm

Hepco centre stand on my 02 900 here - cost a shade under £150 some 8 years ago.

Fitted after the TDM toppled off its side-stand when my back was turned (and I've had Italian bikes so know all about dodgy side-stands!). If I remember i couldn't get hold of the genuine Yamaha stand at the time.

Quite happy with it but the bike's a bit wobbly on the stand as though the mounting lugs aren't close enough together. 

Love the washer trick, that's noted for the future! 

"To do is to be." - Socrates.
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant.
"Do be do be do" – Frank Sinatra

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users