#21 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:47 am

For winter dry feet & 100s of motorway miles I've never had any leather kit that was waterproof for more than a little drizzle unless it had a built in goretex liner (SIDI)..............sooo

If doing lots o miles day in day out  - Replace with wellies = cheaper than leather waterproofer (aka snake oil Mk2 right up there with ciggies buy it , make it disappear and buy some more..now where's that pot of manufactures glee.........). 

Buy goretex boot liners but wellies are even cheaper

Buy Goretex boots (not shite Dainese colanders tho = my EU summer boots) wellies are cheaper

Don't buy rigger wellies/safety wellies buy cheap cheap wellies available in a range of colours including manly black........wellies, like waterlogged leather boots, are not warm, so spend some of the savings on cashmere socks mmm toastie got mine on right now.......

Concur.

The only waterproof leather boots I have ever owned were Sidi Goretex. Two pairs. Pricey, but.. My current pair are almost soleless but I can still step into the margins of a stream for fly fishing wearing them and have dry feet. Unless I slip on a rock..

As a poor 365 day per year rider in Scotland I ended up using game keepers gaiters over my boots and under my troos. As effective as they were ugly.

Winter boots a 1/2 size to big, leaving room for good socks (x3) and air for insulation.

I've ridden in forestry wellies. Great boot, awful on a bike! Your bog standard, budget, wellie is the first thing to come off in a bin. (I have practiced.) Easy on, easy off.

Apart from that, yep. Dry and easy to keep your tootsies warm.

Then I moved to NZ.

Sidis as mentioned. I also have a pair of Gaerne Trials boots which I use the leder balsam / gris on. Obviously they are not being water blasted at motorway speeds on my 125 trials bike, but they do spend a lot of time caked in a kilo or 3 of clay and mud with regular dabs in quagmires. They are still dry right up to the top......

The leather grease must be pretty good because the Gaernes are cut and the smooth surface torn off in a lot of areas. They are also very wrinkled with my off road shenanigans. Better than nikwax? Dunno.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 13 December 2017 - 05:51 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#22 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:37 am

Agree about Gore-Tex boots, but my Sidi Black Rain's started leaking after a couple of years, and I wasn't impressed with the way the leather on the toe protruded in front of the sole so it got scuffed when I walked around in them.  My Heine Gerike Rallye boots, copies/rebrands of the TCX Infinity, have been bone dry for years. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:33 pm

Altbergs and Leder-Gris have remained waterproof for well over 100K. For the daily city commute I just use cheap foot condoms

over my shoes if needed

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#24 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:21 pm

Leder-Gris water repellent wax oil from Altbergs is my choice of boot protector.  It's great for reviving tired boots as the oil penetrates the leather, leaving it soft and supple loike what it used to be.  Takes some effort working it in but it's good stuff.

Studders - mine arrived today (got a tin of both normal & extreme).

Application - brushes as per the Altberg site, but is it "wax on wax off" like how my old man taught me to polish my school shoes (to a shine), or do I just keep working it in and leave it...

I know it's a silly question, but don't want to waste good effort!

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:39 am

I worked it in and left it.  You can wipe of any excess if it's rubbing off onto yer troos or socks.  It does seem to soak in over a few days though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:05 am

I have HG boots with gortex liner. Trouble is when the outer gets wet the boots get VERY cold. Also, the reinforcement for gear lever is in the wrong place making for very sore tootsies on anything but a short ride. Also have cheapo Aldi boots. They're ok but leak badly on the zip. for some reason, although they are plastic not leather. 

For proofing leather I use loads of black polish (black boots) and melt it into the leather with a hairdryer. A good albeit temporary fix. 

#27 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:16 pm

I worked it in and left it.  You can wipe of any excess if it's rubbing off onto yer troos or socks.  It does seem to soak in over a few days though.

Thanks SR.

I've got the festive period for all soaking to happy - whisky + liver included :)

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:32 pm

:drinks:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users