#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:37 pm

I have now taken on the maintenance duties of yet another 306. This one has alloy wheels...and completely bald inner 2" of tyre both sides...lovely thinks I.

Tried to remove road wheels but someone has done up the security lug/bolt with an air gun duhhhhhhhhhhhh. They have ruined the "key"/tool and also ruined the wheel bolt.

Tishabelle found a brand new "key" but the wheel bolt is way too mullered for it to work.

The key has four prongs that fit into the bolt for removal. The massive torque some idiot has applied has ripped one of the prongs out of the old tool...but more importantly elongated the holes in the bolt that they fit into. Any torque applied just cams the tool out of the bolt.

Normally it would be a bash a star socket on trick or weld a great big nut on...but the bolt has a tiny section that the tool fits over, so only a 10mm socket would wedge on (def not going to do it). Same problem with welding a nut on, plus bolts recessed in wheels so limited access.

I can't envisage anything working other than alot of drilling into hardened steel for a very long time!!!! If they were steels I would be tempted to try and tighten it till it snapped.

Does anyone have any ideas to save me from a drilling hell please????

I am trying to find pics of setup online so you can see rather than my excellent detailed description.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:44 pm

Prolly why the tyre is so mullered eh.  Could you drill out the elongated holes to a larger diameter and then fabricate a tool to remove it ?

Or drill out some new holes for the tool to fit in ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:49 pm

And also when undoing the normal wheel bolts the wheel moved fore/aft without the car moving...so that's the lower wishbone / p bushes completely shot. So think the tyres is gonna be caused by whatever horrors lurk beneath!!!!!

Good idea on the drilling prongs...I could even keep same diam and drill deeper. Making a tool to fit would be a mission...but more of a mission than 7 hours drilling??

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:01 pm

I think you may require my services with a disc grinder old chap :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:02 pm

Drilling deeper even better, that and a rattle gun might do it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:02 pm

Some pics of hell

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:03 pm

Obviously a friend got you to do that dappers, blimey it looks to be a pig of a job..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:04 pm

Blimey.

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:06 pm

I may have a look for a pug alloy and smash this one off, it would be easier!!

Ps the bolt in pic is from a wheel that I dont need to get off, of course.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:15 pm

Hulk smash !  Sounds good. :good:

#11 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:39 pm

https://www.ebay.co....5.c100005.m1851

What about these things I have used these or like them on a Ford Ranger and the Wifes Seat,they do work just have to decide what size will cover your nuts (no pun intended).

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:49 pm

Ha, just seen these too.  https://www.ebay.co....TYAAOSwSlBY0Yzl

#13 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:16 pm

+1 for Scrapyard spare n grinder

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:30 pm

Thanks chaps. Wanna crack on so will try a few things with what I have available and when err I mean if that don't work oil try some of them porpoise made gizmos.

And no security bolts ain't going bacon. If someone wants 20 year old 15" alloys they can ave em. :0)

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:02 am

Pressure by some means pushing the tool on to the bolt while undoing, G clamp, Get the car close to a wall so a helper can get a foot on the end on the breaker bar to hold it on.
The "smacking another socket on" is always a favourite as the beating helps.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:15 am

Thanks catte. It only get to about 20/30nm before it cams out.

If there was someone else there to take a pic, I woulda. Yesterday eve I had my hands on the wall both feet and my considerable weight on a block of wood resting on the breaker bar/socket joint. With the Tishabelle levering...it just cams straight out.

I also read yesterday that the small tip is designed to shear off if you try and use it to tamper with bolt without key. Haaa. Well at least it IS a security bolt, they got that bit right.

Still got an hour or so of painting and then battle will commence...

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:35 am

With full noubt to loose mode turned on I got the new key and deformed the prongs slightly with my precision hammer!

Doing the wall dance again on my own....now also operating the bar Lolzio!!! I managed to get it wedged on and luckily it went slightly on the wonk and gripped good. A few sharp taps on the bar with what was either a spare foot or head and crack....it's loose whoooop.

Did such a good job now it won't come off the tool..so they can both go in the bin together along with their three evil friends!!.

#18 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:56 am

:good: :drinks:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#19 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:20 am

:clapping:

Bjørge

#20 Favs

Favs