Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

1977 Honda Cb550 A Tale Of Lies, Engineering Incompetence And Fraud.

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:45 am

Hello my Carpe friends, those of you who know me will be aware of the CB550 K3 that I gave to Peter Thorne of Aspire Classic Restorations in Kidlington for a full restoration, this is the story of that bike, make yourself a drink and put your feet up, it's a long one!
In 1979 I saw an advert in the Surrey Comet for the bike, at the time I had a 1976 Suzuki GT500 that I had bought new from Comerfords in Thames Ditton and had couriered around London for two years before moving on to driving vans.The Suzuki looked ok but was past its best engine wise but the guy needed money to pay his rent and needed a bike to get to work so a deal was struck.
At that time I had a company van and didn't need a bike so it was ridden to my Dad's house and put in his garage, he eventually got it registered in his name and occasionally rode it to work and got it motd and serviced etc, even paying out for a new 4 into 4 exhaust system from Honda that cost a fortune and you just can't get anymore, it was only when I came to tax it recently that I found out he hadn't taxed it since 1983! Naughty!
He stopped riding it around 2002 and it was then just left in the garage, I started it occasionally until one day it wouldn't start and petrol poured out all over the engine, then it was left for a few more years until his death in 2012 when I brought it back to my place and parked it under cover in the garden, it was now in a sorry state.
In early 2016 I decided I was going to get the bike restored, I remembered seeing a series some years earlier on a satellite channel presented by Henry Cole restoring a CB550 of around the same vintage, the mechanic on that series was a guy called Peter Thorne who Cole raved about and seemed to know his stuff, "just the man" I thought.
I arranged to get the bike up to Kidlington in Oxfordshire to Thorne's company, Aspire Classic Restorations, AliG of this parish brought his bike trailer over and we loaded up the Honda and my 900 to get home on. We went and met Thorne and he agreed to take the bike on for a full restoration, I said I wasn't in a great hurry but definitely wanted it back for my 60th birthday, jokingly saying "two years, can you manage it?" Thinking it would take him a few months.
I told him that I wasn't that bothered about originality so if he could change the cross head engine screws for allen bolts and put electronic ignition on it and generally make it more reliable with modern parts then that would be fine,I had previously removed the carbs to clean but told him they would need to be completely renovated. I gave him some money to start him off and Ali and I left.
Fast forward a couple of years and I eventually managed to get him to answer the phone and found out the bike was not quite ready yet, "But it will be ready by April as agreed?" "Yes should be" he replied."But I'm moving the business and moving house so things are a bit up in the air at the moment"
After that it became a game of trying to get hold of him, he wouldn't pick up the phone and wouldn't answer e-mails, my 60th came and went and it seemed for a long time that he, my bike and my money had disappeared.
Cue plenty of jokes and "Got your Honda back yet?" quips from my Carpe friends! They went on a long time.........
When he finally answered the phone I had to listen to half an hour of excuses as to why the bike wasn't done, problems with his back, problems with his hand, problems finding new premises, problems with his house move etc etc, eventually I stopped him and said, "That's all very interesting, but when am I getting my bike back?" "Oh it probably needs a couple of more weeks spent on it, I'm waiting for the paintwork (tank and side panels) and a few other bits and then it'll be done" "So another month should be plenty then?" "yes"
Another two months went by, still nothing, and then the same thing, no answers to e-mails, no answering the phone.
Eventually got hold of him again, more excuses, more waiting for the paintwork, more lies.
E-mails then sent regularly asking for progress reports and ignored.
Finally, in June this year, an e-mail "Your bike is up and running, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to run on all cylinders but when I fix that it'll be ready, I'll deliver it, when will be convenient?"
After picking myself up I asked that he get it motd before he brought it back, even though it's now old enough not to need one, he agreed and a date for delivery was arranged. 
I'm going to have a coffee now, part two, when it really gets interesting, to follow.
Attached File  6F4993F6-FBF8-4587-AFFD-43E9ABFFC518.jpeg   160.53KB   2 downloads
The bike before restoration

Edited by chrisr, 18 June 2020 - 11:06 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:18 am

:punishment:  :waiting:

Oh dear Pt 1 is bad enough.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:37 am

:munching_out: Sucked in with the title and enjoying it immensely. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:42 am

I had no idea of who you were on aboot until you mentioned mystic baldric.

I only saw that bloke once...he was unable to get the bike running on mystic baldrics show...so they pushed it down the road and parked it somewhere to show how good the restoration was...I remember thinking....boddddddddge!!!!!

Obviously I don't know how the story ends...or if it ends but if you need someone reasonably local to check on "progress" I may be able to help.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:22 pm

I get the feeling pt2 is not a fairytale ending....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:37 pm

CB 550 K3 Part 2

So, a couple of days later, a blue Transit appeared and Thorne got out and rang the doorbell. I went out and he looked at me for a few seconds and seemed to be expecting a warmer welcome than the one he got. We went out to the van and he opened the back doors, and looked at me again. I looked in the van and there was my Honda, and at first sight it looked good, lots of new bits and nice and shiny, but he still seemed to be waiting for a reaction.
"Yes, it looks nice" I said,"But I would have been a bit more enthusiastic had you brought it back as agreed, two and a half years ago" 
He then came out with his catchphrase yet again, "Well I've had other bikes longer than that!" As if he's proud of it!
He wheeled the bike out, put it on the centre stand, pulled out the choke and it fired up immediately, I gave it a once over and as I say all seemed well, he put it on the drive and we had a chat about what he had done and he agreed that "As I've messed you about a bit" He wouldn't charge me for the mot or the delivery. I, and to this day I'm kicking myself, and can't believe anyone could be so stupid,agreed to pay the balance by bank transfer after he left.
As it then started to rain I put the bike in the back garden and covered it, didn't want to get all that shiny paintwork and chrome wet!
The next day I went out, gave it a polish, admired how good it looked and wheeled it out. Again it started straight away on the choke and off I went to give it a test ride, after getting used to how small it felt after the 900 (I remember how big it seemed when I first got it) and the controls feeling a bit strange I filled it up with Shell, forking out for the expensive stuff to spoil it, it started up fine and off we went. 
All seemed good and I started to enjoy myself, though realising after the 900 the brakes weren't up to much, and they were all new so I took it easy. After a few miles however things took a turn.
The engine suddenly wouldn't rev any lower than 3000, though it was still going along ok, the nearside footrest rubber started to slide off the peg as neither rubbers had been secured to the footpegs,the footpegs themselves hadn't been done up so were moving about on their mountings,then, when I stopped and tried lowering the revs on the throttle stop screw it cut out and didn't want to start, the battery was tiring  and then I remembered the kickstart and eventually it reluctantly fired up.
I headed home having to keep the revs up then realised I was slowing down, the front brake was coming on as I rode along, eventually I was just crawling along fighting against the front brake to try and keep moving, it cut out a few more times but I managed to get it home.
It now wouldn't even tick over at 3000 revs and I saw that the front brake was now stuck on, there was petrol pouring out from under the carbs onto the engine and there was an oil leak under the sump. I wasn't happy!
I phoned Thorne, "This number is currently unavailable, please try later" I took photos and e-mailed them to him, I sent e-mails asking him to contact me by phone, by e-mail, whatever, to discuss the condition of the bike, no reply, not to this day.
I decided to ask Lee Henty to come and have a look and see what he thought, luckily for me he agreed and came down last Sunday. Within minutes he was finding faults that I hadn't even noticed, loose nuts and bolts all over, the tappets rattling even though Thorne told me he had checked the clearances twice, the cam chain not adjusted and worst of all the headstock pinchbolt only about 2 or 3 threads into the securing nut. 
Mr Martin Carroll,(Catsbum on here)who had come over to see the fun, then delighted in going round the bike undoing nuts and bolts with his fingers, how we laughed! Well, he did anyway.
Lee worked on the engine for a bit and eventually got it sounding better, but not right, and also found the wrong bolts in the wrong holes and it seemed that the bike had literally been thrown together with whatever fixing fitted, or in some cases didn't.
I asked Lee to take it away, prepare a report on the faults, fix them and I would try and recover the costs from Thorne. I said "See you next Sunday then Lee?" He replied "What, no probably be the end of August" I said I have waited this long, another couple of months is fine, at least I now know it'll be done right.
Since then, and in only a few days, Lee has worked miracles, has found so many faults and fixed them, including finding that the carbs were probably thrown back on as I left them but with rust inside and rusted in jets etc, a front caliper that was "completely stripped and rebuilt" corroded inside and sticking and so many other things I can't remember, I'm sure he will bring you up to speed. He has now fitted the electronic ignition that I asked for and replaced nearly everything with stainless - his passion. What we can't get he is making, as always I am in awe, thanks again Lee.
I spent an hour on the phone this morning with a partner at WhiteDalton, the solicitors who have a column in Ride magazine, discussing options. He was very helpful considering I wasn't paying him and although I could have handled things differently, like not touching the bike but having the dvsa round to inspect it to deal with the mot station that issued a certificate last week, (Lee thought it might be a phoney but it's on the system as passed), and getting an independent engineer to give a report on it's condition then suing Thorne. He agreed that my idea of getting Lee to fix it then trying to get that money back was probably the best way forward as any solicitors costs would not be awarded back to me for a sum under £10000. It would apparently have been better business for him if the bike had fallen apart and thrown me off, I apologised for not being able to accommodate him!
So that's where we are today, Lee asked why I hadn't been up to thump Thorne yet, and when I was younger that would have been a distinct possibility, but now I am older and wiser(!) I will let the law take it's course. 
Don't forget to tell all your biking friends my story, I wouldn't like anyone else to go through this, though I have found other victims on twitter, one guy resorted to reporting his GT750 stolen to get it back after 3 years, not done, and he's had another lady's bike for 6 years now and they can't find him. I can, he's at 86 The Slade, Daventry, NN11 4HP. Telephone 07840014266, give him a ring, he probably won't answer!
I shall curse that series and Henry Cole forever!Attached File  ED713001-53E9-406A-84B0-959D8A9D09CF.jpeg   102.16KB   0 downloadsAttached File  085E0AE1-D148-42E3-91A0-CDDE2FD1D348.jpeg   111.16KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DF2BB119-2C3A-47FA-B3D8-4A94293240B9.jpeg   100.31KB   0 downloadsAttached File  7F10787D-2206-4371-B2E3-0BDCC02DB58C.png   680.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  03A6DE89-5954-41D1-936F-12D8251DB952.png   978.92KB   0 downloads
Sorry, its done that sideways thing again, always does from the iPad.
Attached File  3F748C12-501E-4DDE-955F-0DB85A2EE1B4.jpeg   176.55KB   0 downloads

Edited by chrisr, 18 June 2020 - 06:32 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:50 pm

As a small addendum, the bike is now black, I wont complain as I prefer it, but its supposed to be dark brown! And he managed to scratch the tank!
Attached File  30EE30FC-0C81-4451-8546-558CF1C291B1.jpeg   82.89KB   0 downloads

Edited by chrisr, 18 June 2020 - 12:51 pm.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:14 pm

Oh dear Chris, commiserations matey, what a complete and utter TWAT he is, i know i'm older and wiser also but i'm afraid my blood would boil over and the arse would be getting a visit from me (unless swmbo stopped me of course :D) i fookin hate that, i mean we all slave and work for our hard earned (even though i know your minted  ;) ) and it's so infuriating to get a coont like him, it's also why i was determined to do my own bike. i hope you find a way for some recourse over it all..

Lee Henty, what can you say, top man he is :good:

PS Defo go and give Coleman a good smack though for the dodgy recommendation, at least let HIM know what he set you up for..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:21 pm

I admire your persistence in your rebuild Cliff, not sure I could have managed it without taking a pick axe to it! I had to weigh up the option of scrapping it or having it done, I may have chosen the wrong one, as Lee put it after seeing the bill, But it's not worth that now!
I told him he wasnt helping!
I know when I get it back from him it will be better than new, thats my consolation!
And he's fallen in love with it, it is a looker!

Edited by chrisr, 18 June 2020 - 04:34 pm.

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:22 pm

This TOW should be published on every MC forum - make everyone aware.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:22 pm

"Pete the Restorer" I remember the mess he made of that Bonneville that wouldn't start and the kickstarter was fouling on the exhaust and sticking.

Edited by Oafski, 18 June 2020 - 01:24 pm.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:24 pm

This TOW should be published on every MC forum - make everyone aware.

Be my guest!

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:57 pm

I admire your persistence in your rebuild Cliff, not sure I could have managed it without taking a pick axe to it! I had to weigh up the option of scrapping it or having it done, I may have chosen the wrong one, as Lee put it after seeing the bill, but its not worth that now!
I told him he wasnt helping!
I know when I get it back from him it will be better than new, thats my consolation!
And hes fallen in love with it, it is a looker!

Dont think you made the wrong decision Chris to have it sorted, it's just very unfortunate that you got that twat after a recommendation, all will be good soon once the Master is done, you'll be glad you never scrapped it.. btw that your dad never payed tax all those years, well a bit funny, the Germans once tried to back tax me for a car i drove home and scrapped in Liverpool, 15 years back tax :lol: got out of that one..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:59 pm

He was never a fan of paying tax.....of any kind!

#15 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:19 pm

I have been aware of this saga from day one when we delivered the bike, but even I am horrified having read the story in detail. Nice bit of prose, by the way, Chris.

Full marks to Lee. You really are a master craftsman, every bit as much as Mr Henty senior was. Ali

Edited by AliG, 18 June 2020 - 03:22 pm.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#16 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:24 pm

Wow, a friend of Mystic Baldrick is full of sh*t? Who'd have thought it?  :rolleyes: I'm glad this saga is now nearing the end though Chris.There are so many charlatans and con men in the classic bike industry. Thankfully you've got one of the best on the job now, Lee won't let you down.

If it makes you feel better, I got conned years ago, back in the 80s when I was racing classics and I bought a 'rebuilt" race tuned 350 Ducati engine off a guy who was considered to be the UK's No.1 Ducati specialist, he'd actually written books on the subject. And they were published! I was racing other bikes at the time and although I'd fitted the engine, I hadn't got around to starting the bike when I went to the first preseason practice session at Mallory. The Ducati  got chucked in the van with a 750 Triton, with a view to starting it up and shaking it down when I was happy with the Triton. When it came to the Ducati's turn, it wouldn't start. Luckily, a mate of mine was a real Ducati expert and was at the practice day. He soon spotted a list of issues, starting with the fact he'd timed the ignition 180 degrees out!!! Internal race parts he said were fitted weren't. The bevel valve gear drive was incorrectly shimmed and it didn't have the close ratio 'box he claimed it did. Needless to say, the Ducati "specialist" denied everything when I got hold of him and stopped answering the phone. Fortunately, I got hold of his home phone number and, when I rang it, his wife answered. She was obviously the boss as she apologised, I got my money back in the post within a week and the cheque cashed  :good: He was supposed to come and collect the engine, but he never did, so I was up an engine on the deal. Not the engine I wanted, but an engine  :rotflmmfao:    

I hope you have a decent outcome with this muppet. I'm sure Lee will write you a report you can use against him. If your claim is under £10k, use the Small Claims Court, your local Citizens Advice office will help you fill out the paperwork and you won't need a solicitor, just a few hours off work.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:38 pm

I am very surprised Chris didn't have a serious off on this machine.
However it's had three and a half full days of love and we are slowly getting there. Made some proper screws to fit timing cover properly. Every frame bolt was finger tight. Never used any Loctite either. Brake caliper was seized rebuilt my eye.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#18 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:47 pm

Serious faults like no pipe clips on petrol pipe and wrong size pipe simply pushed loosely over spigot.
Dangerous faults like no rubber boots on solenoid battery terminals within 10mm of the frame. A short here is the bike on fire.
Chris has been a good member on Carpe for years,so he deserves some help with this one. I really feel for him. He must be gutted after the money he's been charged.

Edited by leehenty, 18 June 2020 - 04:00 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:00 pm

Into the expensive bits now. Two out of four pilot screw tips were broken off in the jet. Heating in water and ultrasound got them out. This is why idle was 3000 rpm or nothing. Lots of corrosion in tubes. NRP are supplying repair kits.

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:15 pm

I remember seeing that episode with Thorne and the mess he'd created, thought at the time I could deffo do a better job than him.  What a total t**t eh.  I feel sorry for you Chris, should never happen to a fine gentleman as yourself. :giveusahug:  Small claims court is the way, be great to see the bailiffs turn up at Thornes house, and you should get a good chunk of yer money back, just get as much proof and info as you can.

Glad to hear Lee's sorting it out for you, he can deffo be trusted to do it right. :good:

I agree, this story needs to be put out there, but might be better to wait until the small claims is sorted.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users