405 replies to this topic

#41 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:25 am

definitely. this is a project, and I would actually but I have time scales that I have to stick to. I don't want to disappear into a rabbit hole of electronics. Maybe once the job is done I will look into it, but for now I want to build a bike that I know is going to work

#42 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:20 am

in other news. has anyone fitted Coil over plugs on there 900? 

I want to get rid of the ugly coil packs bolted onto the outside of the frame.

#43 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:33 pm

It has been discussed before on here Ian, seem to remember there being a problem in getting the supply voltage of the signal from the ecu at the correct level, or summat loike that.

You going for a KTM Adventure stylee front fairing then ?  Should look good with those headlights. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#44 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:53 am

supply voltage shouldn't be a problem with my standalone ecu. I can tell it to do what ever it needs to do, I just need to get a couple of stick coils that physically fit in the holes! 

Yes I am going to make something similar to the KTM adventure fairing, although I am leaning more towards a bit of a copy of the new Africa twin fairing:

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.bmwblog.com%2Fwp-conten

I have bought a dark screen from a MT09 Tracer and I am going to use that as a start - build a subframe to hold the lights, screen and clocks, then patch the fairing in around it.

Edited by Coxylaad, 26 October 2018 - 07:54 am.

#45 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:37 am

supply voltage shouldn't be a problem with my standalone ecu. I can tell it to do what ever it needs to do, I just need to get a couple of stick coils that physically fit in the holes! 

Yes I am going to make something similar to the KTM adventure fairing, although I am leaning more towards a bit of a copy of the new Africa twin fairing:

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.bmwblog.com%2Fwp-conten

I have bought a dark screen from a MT09 Tracer and I am going to use that as a start - build a subframe to hold the lights, screen and clocks, then patch the fairing in around it.

Aha ! Now I get what you were aiming at..... I thought you had put the design on a piece of paper which i couldn't see. Being a dumbass here, sorry, but I'm still on daily painkillers :)

That adventure style fairing could suit quite well !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#46 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:13 am

The bit of card in the previous picture I posted was actually a joke   :lol:

#47 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:26 am

The bit of card in the previous picture I posted was actually a joke   :lol:

Ar dunt believe you knoo !

#48 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:07 pm

CBR600 sticks (or Denso equivalents) appear to work on the 850

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#49 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:39 pm

i saw that on the trx forum, just wondered if anyone had done it on the 900. 

that said I have ran 850 coils on a 900 engine so they should work.

#50 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:01 pm

update.

had the afternoon in the garage and started mucking about fabricating the new front sub frame:

Some bits of flat bar

43788822190_a1437869be.jpg

turned into this:

43788822040_c314962ba1.jpg

to house these:

44881943234_d08b451803.jpg

starting with the scaffolding

45555842312_cb95d6b916.jpg

44692523575_538bf00a07.jpg

looks like a set of specs

45606286361_bdb7eefd81.jpg

45606293701_0107dfe49a.jpg

31733971098_37968e0f38.jpg

Next job is to build a mount for the clocks to bolt to, then extend it to make some fixing for the new screen.

once all thats on its time to get creative with the fibre glass. 

#51 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:23 pm

Looks good, and just a thought....any chance of ditching the front mudguard and building a new beak in with the lights, while you're at this early stage, it might suit it

#52 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:04 pm

I thought about it but I am not that keen on the full beak with no proper mudgaurd over the wheel. 

When you look at all the big adventure bikes with beaks, they still have a proper mudguards on them as well.  

#53 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:54 pm

I thought about it but I am not that keen on the full beak with no proper mudgaurd over the wheel. 

When you look at all the big adventure bikes with beaks, they still have a proper mudguards on them as well.  

Yes true. I just wasn't sure if you were thinking of fitting some knobblies and going a bit off road at any time. If you do then guys with mudguards find they turn into mud scrapers

#54 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:43 pm

Looks a bit WALL-E :lol:  Good work Coxy. :munching_out:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#55 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:47 pm

I was thinking more Johnny 5 

#56 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:48 pm

:lol:

#57 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:02 pm

The trigger has been pulled. I have just ordered the top spec ignijet unit. 

I wasn't planning on buying it until later on in the project but I need the dimensions of the thing so I can mount it on the front subframe. 

I didnt have to but I have gone with the D mode model as it has a version of a traction control system on it as well as shift lights and quickshifter intergration. 

Not bothered about the shift light or the quickshifter on the road really but the traction control is interesting to play with, and if it saves me once then its worth it. At somepoint I may decide to turn this setup into a track bike so its nice to have those options, and also the unit itself can be adapted to many different bikes with the correct loom. 

Ive also bought a varying selection of daytime running lights to see if I can make something that looks almost factory and not a complete diy effort. 

#58 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:16 pm

Just came across the stick coil thread.  http://www.carpe-tdm...sin#entry239826  Might be some useful info for ya.

#59 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:40 am

interesting information. I need to have a look at the ignijet setup and see what that can be tuned to work with. given the system can run bikes with stick coils I am sure its capable of adjusting its output to suit. 

Anyways, I spent the evening last night pondering, and trying various options on the bike for fairings. I have come to the conclusion that the current setup I have built isn't going to work for me. 

I am going to go with 1 light above the other and try and build something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

I like the side panels on this also. 

#60 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:50 am

I was going to suggest a KTM Duke 2 (640cc)  front fairing, but didn't because you had the lights side by side. I don't know if the proportions are correct, but it's already made.   It might work, but also might be a tad too small, but the fairings and screw in lights are readily available on the bay at the mo. https://www.motorcyc...ke II 99 1.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users