• Please log in to reply
892 replies to this topic

#281 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:08 pm

Can you drill and helicoil, they are easy to do but best done on a pillat drill or mill to keep tap straight.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#282 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:15 pm

Don't mind if I do .. lickety lick.

Head looks good.

Bugger about that bolt. Not much metal aboot that hole?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#283 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:28 pm

I've drilled the original bolt out cos it was loctited with red and not blue, however it's quite shallow so cant really be redrilled to helicoil (done a good few) and the smallest helicoil wont fit me thinks, as daps say's not much metal around the bolt as i 1st thought maybe one size up to M8 but reckon it's a bit dicey so, now i'm thinking of drilling straight through the side case so a bolt right through the width of the side will support where the aluminium is drilled out, just might have to take it to the engineering shop for an opinion..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#284 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:39 am

7mm bolts are available?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#285 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:22 am

How about a weld up and redrill option.

Edited by Snowbird, 09 August 2019 - 06:23 am.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#286 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:34 am

7mm bolts are available?

Thanks, i did notice that last night might be an option possibly.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#287 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:40 am

How about a weld up and redrill option.

I did consider that also but, would need advice from eng shop as would need to be the correct grade alloy, otherwise if it's to soft were back to square one, i was pursuing the helicoil option again last night which might be vialble, said hole actu.ally only has a thread depth of approx 5mm so if it was possible to drill to a further depth off 5ml and put in a 2D or 2.5D helicoil.

#288 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:52 am

Is there any reason that hole can't go all the way through to give a bit more thread for a slightly longer bolt? Also check out twinserts as they can take a bigger hole back down to original (a helicoil in a helicoil), we used some at work as one of the engines we do is a b'stard for pulling out cylinder studs and then pulling out helicoils leaving a stripdown and weld up the only option but twinserts have got us out of a few sticky situations.

If we can do it to aero engines a tdm should be fine, I'll bet yamaha castings are better quality than teledyne continental, the phrase 'aircraft quality' usually means a trail of paperwork for something that's worse than you can get off ebay.

#289 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:28 am

what about a good quality chemical metal and retap

its only for retention and not under pressure like a cylinder head bolt

#290 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:00 pm

Is there any reason that hole can't go all the way through to give a bit more thread for a slightly longer bolt? Also check out twinserts as they can take a bigger hole back down to original (a helicoil in a helicoil), we used some at work as one of the engines we do is a b'stard for pulling out cylinder studs and then pulling out helicoils leaving a stripdown and weld up the only option but twinserts have got us out of a few sticky situations.

If we can do it to aero engines a tdm should be fine, I'll bet yamaha castings are better quality than teledyne continental, the phrase 'aircraft quality' usually means a trail of paperwork for something that's worse than you can get off ebay.

Cheers, my 1st idea was to do just that,drill right through, i imagine a bolt all the way through will hold up the integrity of the c.case as it's fulla metal, also been having a look at ideas re inserts.

what about a good quality chemical metal and retap

its only for retention and not under pressure like a cylinder head bolt

Yep i have Milliput which goes off really hard so it's an option, either way if i do it myself the thread hole will have to be longer, and i think it only torques to 12nm so some locktite around the housing could help also.....need to ponder awhile..

Edited by dablik, 09 August 2019 - 05:35 pm.

#291 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:38 pm

The thread hole in question is actually a blind hole so dont know if that should make a difference really to how it's fixed so, dropped at the shop this morning for a proper fix, ya man was off today so not sure if it will be an insert or summit else.

#292 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:11 pm

Got some shimerooing in on the bench.

Attached File  20190816_203302.jpg   166.76KB   0 downloads

Specs are....... Inlet 0.15 - 0.20 & Exhaust 0.25 - 0.30

Cyl 1                                             Cyl 2

Inlet   0.18     0.19     0.19                        0.19    0.19    0.18

Ex           0.29       0.29                                   0.29    0.29

Be interesting to see how quickly they tighten up once running.

#293 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:00 pm

Been a bit quiet while awaiting parts, been painting which is really frustrating outside, now all the parts have finally arrived i can crack on..

Got a pair of these today, lovely quality, and a rotor to replace the destroyed one offa me boyfriend ;) you know who you are  :wub:

Attached File  20190907_183551.jpg   119.22KB   0 downloads

#294 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:08 am

:drinks:

"It'll all be over by Christmas".............  :hide:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#295 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:42 am

?????????

#296 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:14 pm

Pressie to yourself :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#297 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:36 pm

Things are not going as planned :rolleyes: visited Aircooled Sunday morning to beg borrow and steal some tools and udder stuff and as the afternoon got sunny took advantage and got a little more painting done.

I wanna know who stole the thrust washer then !! Haynes makes a point of telling you not to lose it but i aint got one in me replacement, and remember my original rotor got binned so no reference from that.. not one in the replacement starter i have either, i wondered if Haynes had made a goofy but Fowlers fiche verified it as well, guess i better get one then....you'll have a lot of fun iffin you go lookin for oneodem daps me old fruit :D

Attached File  20190909_174159.jpg   140.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Starter clutch.png   46.31KB   0 downloads

Also previously dismantled the output shaft as far as possible without resorting to pulling cogs of with gear pullers and ordered a replacement circlip per Haynes method of measuring only to find the fit is a bit looser than i would like, so phoned the nice chaps up at simply bearings for a bit of circlip info and repalcement on the way, had been wondering iffin the mk1 output shaft circlip (which is actually a snap ring) would fit the mk2 shaft but the mk2 2001 is approx 3mm wider in girth around the shaft groove, whodathunk it ?

And while i think on, the rotor windings bolts are always a pita to get out and often get drilled out, i wonder if they were originally staked like the other bolts in the pic above ??

Onwards..

Edited by dablik, 09 September 2019 - 06:39 pm.

#298 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:27 pm

Do ya mean the 4TX output shaft has a larger diameter versus the 3VD one? I guess they are different part numbers.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#299 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:59 pm

The 2001 shaft for sure, dont know about previous mk2's though, i measured the shaft groove for the external circlip and compared it to a 92 mk1, 2001 is bigger,not checked part numbers though.

#300 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:30 am

So that washer should be captive in the rotor assembly dabbers!?? Don't think I have any other rotors pulled other than that 9er Juan.

Will have a brevity though not really sure what I'm looking for aS can't remember that part.

Weird that it wouldn't be in that spare rotor if part of assembly!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users