• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:44 pm

Thinking of getting a paddock stand as my 4TX only has a sidestand, does anyone here use one and which have you found work best?

I've never used one before as always relied on sidestand and an axlestand kicked under somewhere but I aint getting any fitter with age so thought this might be an idea, I do have the luxury of a hydraulic bike bench but it's a pain without centrestand and further to fall with dodgy jacking.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#2 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:48 pm

Abba stand

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:52 pm

ABBA .... It's one of those things I got and then wondered how I had managed without.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:34 pm

Did you manage to fit bobbins? They look more stable that L brackets.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:50 pm

ABBA connects to swingarm holes. No bobbins required. It's not a paddock stand and makes it easy to raise fore and aft.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:23 pm

Abba stand, then if you want the front up some stud bar through the bottom engine lugs and axle stands, once on the Abba stand the bike can be lifted by leaning on the back.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:32 pm

I just looked at their website and looks a pretty good bit of kit, shame they don't fit mt xt600 as well, may need a separate paddock stand for that as an upright bike takes so much less space.

Mmmm decisions time......

Thanks for the replies.

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:22 pm

What is the total width of the abba when the bike is on it? Looks quite wide on their video and it's space I'm looking to save.

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:05 pm

Approx 70cm measured under the cover, protrudes most on the right side, that's a mk1 but mk2 identical, will re-check tomorrow proper..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:33 pm

Thanks Dabbers, can you measure face of swingarm pivot to outer edges of upright when fitted please.

If I can get both bikes to stand upright my garage should be easier to get round, I may modify the steering lock so it will lock the other way so it's easy to put a chain between front wheels.

Wot a luvverly bunch you lot are (till proven otherwise)......

#11 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:53 pm

For storing bikes upright I got a bike stand from ghost bikes. Just roll the front wheel into it

https://images.esell...hock-1600-0.jpg

Edited by drewpy, 07 August 2019 - 08:59 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:00 pm

For storing bikes upright I got a bike stand from ghost bikes. Just roll the front wheel into it

I've seen a few of them on ebay, which did you go for and how stable is it?

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:42 am

Thanks Dabbers, can you measure face of swingarm pivot to outer edges of upright when fitted please.

If I can get both bikes to stand upright my garage should be easier to get round, I may modify the steering lock so it will lock the other way so it's easy to put a chain between front wheels.

Wot a luvverly bunch you lot are (till proven otherwise)......

Okay Snowbird, as requested.

Attached File  20190808_122746.jpg   154.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190808_122654.jpg   139.39KB   0 downloads

Bit awkward one handed but, right side (sat on bike) 1st photo is approx 21.5cm and the left 12.5-13cm hth.

Edit........Measured to face of wood as the furthest point of the abba stand, bit hard to see in the photo.

Edited by dablik, 08 August 2019 - 11:43 am.

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:49 am

I've seen a few of them on ebay, which did you go for and how stable is it?

the one in the photo, it only cost me £20 though as a few bolts were missing.

you can't lean on the bike and can't work on it, but for me with 3 bikes I needed to be able to store it upright.

they couriers use them in their vans before strapping down

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:11 pm

@ Drewpy, Doh didn't spot the piccie link, stupid me....

Them ones look to be fairly cheap so very tempted to try one at least, thanks for the info.

@ Dabbers, the measures are perfect ta very muchly, I'll have a measure up later tonight when my fazer (now someone elses fazer) is gone and I've got a bit more room.

Thanks all, some serious food for thought and worth so much more than a piccie in a brochure.

You've even shamed me into subscribing to the tune of a whole fiver! :) A good forum is worth it's weight in beer!

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:29 pm

Your welcome Snowbird, it all makes the world go round better :)

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:29 pm

Abbastand ordered, thanks for all the input.

If I can get it to work with my XT600E I'll get a second one, I can soon fabricate an adapter set but it may not be tall enough, we'll see.

#18 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:17 pm

Put it on a substantial block,railway sleeper? if not try a building site for an offcut of 9 x 2 or similar.

#19 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:50 pm

Abbastand appeared today and is a doddle to use and stands rock solid, and as a bonus I recon I can make it fit my XT as well, they don't do a kit for it but the TDM bit seems to sit nice over the swingarm nut on right hand side just need to do a little bit of machining on an old 22mm socket to make an adapter for the left hand side, if it works ok I'll buy another.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:41 am

Another option is to make some fittings which you can bolt into the footrest hangers, Abba sell a kit for this for the TDM but i made some from my old 9r fittings, the swing arm can then be removed on the Abba stand, maybe you could transfer this idea for the XT as a way to lift it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users