2136 replies to this topic

#1841 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:56 pm

Hello!

Got myself a TDM 900 last fall, and been lurking here ever since. First registration in 2014, all stock and only had 10'000km on the meter.

First thing I did (after a full checkup), was the airbox mod and CO adjustment. That seemed to do the trick, however now with the temperatures dropping below zero, there seems to be some jerkiness again. I'll have to take a look at the HT leads one of these days.

This week I also installed the center stand and engine bars, which I ordered over Christmas from Rafal. Those early mornings tend to be pretty icy now here in Geneva.

All in all very happy with the bike so far.

No photo with the bars yet, but you all know what those look like anyway.  :lol:

tdmatcern.jpg

Edited by Karpo, 23 January 2019 - 02:59 pm.

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#1842 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the club Karpo.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1843 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:00 pm

Welcome to carpe Karpo!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1844 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:11 pm

Perfect colour for a 9'er! :good:

Welcome lurkio sorry Karpo

Re the jerkiness - plug leads? Do you do only short journeys? plugs fowling up? Sooty exhaust?

If you do a lot of miles getting gel or similar into the seat might help comfort - did with me and quite a few others. Alternatively try a numnah.

#1845 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:15 pm

Perfect colour for a 9'er! :good:

Welcome lurkio sorry Karpo

Re the jerkiness - plug leads? Do you do only short journeys? plugs fowling up? Sooty exhaust?

If you do a lot of miles getting gel or similar into the seat might help comfort - did with me and quite a few others. Alternatively try a numnah.

Mostly short trips to work and back. Exhaust looks fine. Haven't checked the plugs yet.
It had the same issue after sitting outside on a super rainy day in September, but now it's almost daily, and I'm assuming the cold.
Not really a problem in the morning (warm garage), but after a day of sitting in the bike shed outside my office, the problem is certainly there, even after warming up the engine.

As for the saddle, it's been OK for now. Last fall I did a quick 700 km trip over the weekend with no problems. In any case a numnah sounds nice. :)

Edited by Karpo, 23 January 2019 - 04:30 pm.

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#1846 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:43 pm

Have you taped up the plug leads with self amalgamating tape? Arcing on a 9'er is a known problem. A good wrap with the tape usually cures the problem unless the leads/coils are knackered. Given that the tape costs a couple of quid, guessing 2/3 euros it's a cheap fix and worth doing anyway and it eliminates that as a cause.

I had a quick search and brought up quite a few references to using self amalgamating tape and also some alternate fixes. 

E.g. 

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry366517

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry363918

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry359838

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry358745

#1847 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:45 pm

Have you taped up the plug leads with self amalgamating tape? Arcing on a 9'er is a known problem. A good wrap with the tape usually cures the problem unless the leads/coils are knackered. Given that the tape costs a couple of quid, guessing 2/3 euros it's a cheap fix and worth doing anyway and it eliminates that as a cause.

I had a quick search and brought up quite a few references to using self amalgamating tape and also some alternate fixes. 

E.g. 

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry366517

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry363918

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry359838

http://www.carpe-tdm...ing#entry358745

Yeah, I've read the same posts, plus there's more mentions to it on other forums and YouTube. I'll have to find the time to get it done.

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#1848 Banditman

Banditman

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:21 pm

Hi all,
Born again TDMer here having had a MK 1 850 about 20 years ago, then defected to 1200 Bandit world along with some Other Japanese stuff along with some Triumphs ..... now thanks to Scooby Im the proud owner of an 04 900 👍

Is my old mate Bondy still about I wonder 🤔

Edited by Banditman, 09 March 2019 - 11:21 pm.

#1849 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:47 pm

You'll be Martin then....see, I do pay attention!!
Welcome back to the fold and hope you have years of fun with your new steed.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#1850 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:05 am

Hi all,
Born again TDMer here having had a MK 1 850 about 20 years ago,

Is my old mate Bondy still about I wonder 🤔

Shirley it couldn't be. Were ya mk1 TDM red per chance and make you shart your parnts on the motorway early one morning when it exploded????

Bondy still about and still got his boike.

And welcome. :badgerrock:

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1851 Banditman

Banditman

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:56 am

Not me that Dapleb mine was Green 😉

I did mess my pants when the oil tank burst all over the back tyre though 😬

#1852 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:24 am

Welcome back Banditman, now pray tell, how on earth did the oil tank blow...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1853 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:10 pm

Welcome back!

#1854 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:55 pm

Welcome back Banditman, now pray tell, how on earth did the oil tank blow...

He left the dipstick loose eh. ;)  Did it myself once, pulled up next to a public toilet and 'borrowed' most of their loo roll to clean it all up. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club Martin.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1855 Banditman

Banditman

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:00 pm

Oh nooooooo split due to years and years of unlove ..... thats how I found out the Japanese started with an oil tank and built an entire motorcycle around it 😂😂

#1856 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:58 am

They do do stuff like that, Japanese sense of humour I reckon.

#1857 Atesz792

Atesz792

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:26 pm

Hi!

New member here from Hungary, bought a nice 900 this month. I've been riding since 2006, started on a 50cc scooter, have a Suzuki GS500F (since 2013) and now the TDM.
I've always liked how TDM's look, also I'm relatively tall so it fits me just right. Really into twin cyl. bikes, obviously :-)
Have had my unrestricted license since last autumn, been contemplating what to buy and the 9er just kept reoccurring (I like the looks of the 850's too).
Love the power (lots of it, and how friendly!), the ergonomics, the ease of starting (well it might just need a new battery, time will tell, maybe just wasn't charged whole winter), the looks, the not worrying about the oil consumption... etc.
Some aftermarket stuff came with the purchase, taller bars, running lights, engine protectors, Givi topbox, slip-ons, cigar lighter under the seat (not sure I've seen a fuse though).
Really feels like riding the natural evolution of the GS! Felt 'at home' the instant I sat on.
Will try to attach picture!

Attached Files

Member from Hungary, riding an '02 9er.

#1858 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:34 pm

Greetings.

Congratulations on a fine choice of bike & colour.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1859 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:40 pm

Hello dare and welcome. Were riding my TDM through Hungary in 2006, maybe passed you on the scoot.

#1860 Atesz792

Atesz792

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:06 am

Thank you for the kind welcome!
Well dapleb, that is possible. :-)
Member from Hungary, riding an '02 9er.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users