#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:19 pm

......as a result of a recent droppage ( no personal damage ) I had to remove the nose-fairing on my 4TX.
.....which involved disconnecting (snipping) the indicator wires.Attempting to re-install, can't get the indicators to flash. Indeed, at the moment, both front indicators don't illuminate.
I'll spare you, for the moment at least, added complicating details, but my initial question is :

Is there a 'flasher unit' as such & if so, where is it located & is there a way to check if it is up-the-pictures?

now for the complicating detais:
1) the indicators are non-OE.......but worked fine before the spill.....but I seem to recall fitting a relay, even though they're conventional bulbs, not LEDs
2) there is an indicator buzzer fitted (which now sounds when the o/s indicator is attempted, but constant sound, not 'pips'....therefore related to lack of flashing? Doesn't sound at all when n/s indication is attempted.
3) apart from the 'indicator' fuse in the fuse box, might there be another fuse which relates to that relay

There's probabliy more complicating stuff, but I'll leave it at that, for the moment.....hoping a step-by-step
approach will avoid confusion.......for me and for you....

........Jiff

#2 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:40 pm

Flasher unit under tank at rear just in front of starter relay

Edited by aircooled68, 23 February 2014 - 02:41 pm.

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:57 pm

What else did you remove from inside the fairings ? coz if you only "snipped" the wiring to get the panels off then surely if you just reverse the process they should be working prior to the snips being used. Was anything else "snipped" ?

Are the 2 wires to each indicator conneced the same as befor ?

Have you checked to see if the bulbs have blown ?

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#4 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:37 pm

.......Is the 'flasher unit' the same as the 'turn signal relay?......
.....couldn't locate flasher unit.....lifted rear of tank & looked for what I presumed to be an 'electrical boxy thing'......small matchbox size?......black-ish?.......all I could see under the back of the tank was a bunch of assorted wires & connectors running next to the across-the-frame brace onto which the rear of the tank bolts......into a black 'rubber glove' type shroud,
HBOL shows a pic of the starter relay (HBOL 9:18, pic.25.2a) being (on the N/S?) next to the 'Hard / Soft ' rear suspension adjustment........but doesn't actually say it's a pic. of a TDM, let alone a 4TX.......and next to it appears to be the same unit shown in HBOL 9:8, pic 11.3a described as 'turn signal relay'........

.........retired hurt for this evening......Jiff.

#5 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:57 pm

What else did you remove from inside the fairings ? coz if you only "snipped" the wiring to get the panels off then surely if you just reverse the process they should be working prior to the snips being used. Was anything else "snipped" ?

Are the 2 wires to each indicator conneced the same as befor ?

Have you checked to see if the bulbs have blown ?

.........my assumption precisely!.......nothing else 'snipped'......and all bulbs seem OK.......
The inclusion of 'the buzzer' seems to add complication .......at least in my addled brain......BUT......(& I did issue a warning re: complications) ......
whilst checking the bulbs , I managed, unknowingly, to bend one of the terminals in the O/S indicator, which then shorted when the ignition was switched, blowing the relevant fuse in the fusebox (several times before I 'unearthed' THAT problem)......before that episode, the O/S indicator & the buzzer at least, were both 'flashing'.......now not so.....& I'm wondering if that shorting might have blown the flasher unit......?........hence where I am / was .......till I retired hurt......for today,

.......I said I needed help from a genius....'cos I sure ain't one today .....me.......Jiff.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:44 pm

you may have blown the flasher unit  subsitute a known good one see if it's this. All bulbs must be working or it won't flash if it's the thermal type flasher.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:25 pm

[quote name="leehenty" post="291158" timestamp="1393184687"................ All bulbs must be working or it won't flash if it's the thermal type flasher.[/quote]

.........how would I know / tell if it's a 'thermal type flasher' ?.........or, alternatively, what type of flasher is fitted to a 4TX?

..........Jiff

#8 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:43 pm

........and, having scrutinised Wemoto, they list a 'flasher relay' but not a flasher unit......I'm still unsure whether they are one and the same thing.....?

.......Jiff

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:34 pm

more or less the same thing.

refer to page 305 of the service manual, left positive wire is brown, right is dark green. The other, usually black, wires are earth.

manual can be found here http://www.carpe-tdm...p?showtopic=193

post #8

Edited by leehenty, 23 February 2014 - 10:45 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:01 am

Why did you have to snip the wires? Just being nosey like.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#11 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:08 pm

Why did you have to snip the wires? Just being nosey like.

......can't quite remember, actually, but , since the winkers are non-standard, and looking at how the wiring is now, I can only presume
that when I fitted them, for some reason, I didn't / was able to use normal connectors, so tack soldered and self-amalgamating taped them.......dunno why....

.....Jiff

#12 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:58 am

........those of you who may need to get a life might recall my recent electrical mini-dramas with indicators that wouldn't flash........
That problem appeared to have been solved when I discovered an imperfect bullet connection down the line, and replaced the blown flasher unit.
Now what happens is, with the bike at standstill, engine not running....... check operation of indicators (including audible warning , incorporated yonks ago)........perfect!...even when all connections woggled.
Ride off, full of confidence & self-righteousness, and notice that buzzer sound is intermittent....as is flasher on dash......as are flashers themselves.
Thinks......imperfect earthing?......imperfect other connections?......bad language.
Woggle all connections, woggle all seeming appropriate wires,.......no apparent effect.
Depression at the thought of having to dismantle inner-fairing again, & chop off all that self-amalgamating
to check all connections.
Is there any relevant circumstance that might occur with bike in motion / engine running which doesn't apply with bike stationary, engine off? (presumably sidestand switch is not concerned with indicators)
......Jiff

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:42 am

Merged with other thread so Carpedians can see the full picture so far.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:46 pm

Loose bulb perhaps ?  Could be rattling with the bike on the move.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:18 pm

I knows!!!

These buzzer/indicator thingies are wired up so that the buzzer is sometimes connected directly to earth when the brake switches front or rear are applied.

Buzzer is then silenced.

Sounds (or it doesn't :P ) that the earthing of your brake+buzzer circuit has been dunnded wrong. Even if your setup isn't wired this way try removing the buzzer temporarily and see what happens.

BTW

Check first that you aren't one of those annoying people that rides around with a badly set up rear brake light switch that flashes as you ride along.

-merrily earthing your indicators as you ride along  :punishment:

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 22 March 2014 - 05:23 pm.

#16 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:41 pm

......just to wrap it up........ future reference for those who pursue similar contorted path to my own...

(History: 9-12 months ago, fitted buzzer...no problem. 3-4 months ago, fitted 4 new aftermarket indicators ....no problems - 2 of my originals had been damaged, so I replaced all 4 with some I felt looked better. It also appears I fitted new flasher unit , don't remember why, as supplier of indicators later insisted it wasn't required. 6 weeks ago bike fell over, nose fairing damaged, front indicators disconnected - by snipping......
- all ressambled.......problems started.....existing flasher unit/ relay blown, replaced with Wemoto. All flashers, & buzzer, worked at standstill, but intermittantly when on the move.)

The problem was solved, after much laborious agonising, consultation with experts, and bunging quids at those who did a conscientious job , but didn't rectify the intermittant operation........

1) buzzer removed from circuit, and all connections in flasher circuits soldered, front and rear, 'earths' checked, bulbs checked.
still intermittent operation when on the move.
2)expert 1 opines, try different flasher relay. Had been using Wemoto appropriate unit. Replaced with (OE?) Denso unit.......works
fine, but flashes at illegaly fast rate. Assume Wemoto unit faulty, they supply replacement.......repeat of intermittent function on the
move.
3)expert 2. strokes chin, inspects writing on selection of my flasher units that I brought along. He suggests something to do with mismatch between flasher unit and wattage of bulbs in my aftermarket indicators. He tests vintage flasher unit (Lucas? from E type?) works fine. Suggests that, on the move, when revving, voltage increases, thus wattage output also.....somehow causing intermittant action?
4) lying in bed, next morning, I decide to see if HBOL details spec. of OE flasher unit. No luck...BUT....it does say OE flasher bulbs are 21watt. My aftermarket indicator bulbs are 10 watt. Could try stronger bulbs but don't want to melt plastic or burn out fine wires. Locate
suitable flasher unit at Mac Motors in Tooting.......adapt wiring......instal......ALL SERENE!

Boring as that might have been, it would have been even more so if I hadn't edited it down to the 'highlights'....there was so much more
in between!
..........,,,,Jiff.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:34 pm

:badgerrock: Well done jiff.  Lecky probs are orrible and intermittent lecky probs the pits!!! 

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:38 pm

Freedom For Tooting !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:08 am