• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brut4c

brut4c

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:19 am

Both my running and parts bike came to me with carbs marked with 4TX 00. When I order rebuild kits for the carbs, should I get sets that have jets spec'd for the bike's 3VD age, or for the 4TX carb model?

I'm looking at these eBay listings in particular:

https://www.ebay.com...P8AAOSwmftdSntz

https://www.ebay.com...P8AAOSwmftdSntz

If the answer is to rebuild the carbs with 4TX components, is there anything else I should check for that would need to adjust from stock 3VD to account for the different jet sizes, or is that all just carb-internal differences?

Thanks!!

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:17 am

Hello.  4TX00 carbs are for the mk2 '96-'98 model.  I would stick with using the later carb kits as there are some differences in mk1 and mk2 carb internals.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:25 am

Yooohoo
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:32 am

Hello

I have mk2a carbs on my mk1,and I have used mk2 carbs as well, both mk2 and 2a carbs seem to make the bike run better the 2a being the better, I use them on stock settings and have no problems and it does seem to have improved mpg.

The mk1 has a slightly lower compression than the 2 and 2a,the only real way to check if your worried would be a dyno,but for me I am happy the way the bike runs so not changing any thing.

Not sure where you are your links are US and dont ship to UK.If you are in the sates your jetting could be alot different from ours in which case what works for me may not for you,but I would as Studders says use the kit for the carbs you have mk2.

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:57 am

Hello.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users