Photo

My HID Xenon installation (low and high beam)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 kitt

kitt

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:10 pm

How do people get on with HID, only reason I ask was when enquiring about HID i was warned not to put on the high beam as there is a delay in them lighting up. Has anyone noticed this, Cheers
Something to do with it working like a florescent tube rather than an element.
1998 TDM850 (24k), 1996 TDM850(58k), 1989 XTZ 750(29k), 1999 XJR1300(13k) no more room in garage ! XJR gone to ex, so 1988 zx10 fills space

#22 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:45 pm

High and low both need a few seconds for gas mixture to warm up and give full light.
I still can't believe the amount of light I now have available since I changed over to HIDS

#23 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:20 pm

Like moped said, it takes 5 to 10 seconds for max brightness.

At first it flashes (ignition of gas), then it turns on to about the brightness of halogen while warming up to about three times the brightness of halogen. I had HID on both low and high beam, the HID on high beam does make the "pass" flash effect slightly less. So if I wanted to get noticed, I would just switch high beam on. Within a few seconds the lighthouse would light up their whole interior, so you definitely get noticed. Once the bulb has been warmed up (it's still about three times cooler than halogen in that case), you can use it for flashing off and on to max brightness instantly. I did not see any significant disadvantage of having both bulbs fitted, not significant enough at least to outweigh the huge advantage (a LOT of light all the way to the horizon).

The Pan has two H4 bulbs, so now I have two times low and instant high HID. The high beam in that case works by means of a magnetic switch that uncovers the bottom part of the bulb for high beam. You can see the bottom part of the reflector (for high beam) is blocked in the next pic, as well as the higher aim to the right side of the road:

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#24 guinnessgrim

guinnessgrim

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 64 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:44 pm

I'm thinking of HIDing too. What is the wattage of the kit 35 or 50? I've been told the 50 is about the same again better than the 35 is over standard. Was thinking if i'm gonna do it I may as well get the best!

#25 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:57 pm

Average HIDS replacement unit pulls approx 30watts.
Light output is equivalent to what you would get from an 80watt Halogen source, but you will lose a lot because reflector is not designed for the longer 'bulb'.
HIDS unit runs cooler, so less power is wasted as heat.

#26 oldfogey

oldfogey

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:00 pm

Hi
I've been studying your pictures as I intend to upgrade to HID lights on my TDM900Abs and you make it all seem pretty straightforward - time will tell!! I have noticed in your pictures that you have crash bars fitted - can you tell me which ones you have as they look fairly effective? They would have saved me over 160 quid when my bike blew off the side stand in the gales back in December and did the left side fairing no good at all. Hoping you can help
Best regards, oldfogey

#27 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:29 pm

PM sent.

#28 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:41 pm

QUOTE(oldfogey @ Mon 26th Jan 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
I've been studying your pictures as I intend to upgrade to HID lights on my TDM900Abs and you make it all seem pretty straightforward - time will tell!! I have noticed in your pictures that you have crash bars fitted - can you tell me which ones you have as they look fairly effective? They would have saved me over 160 quid when my bike blew off the side stand in the gales back in December and did the left side fairing no good at all. Hoping you can help
Best regards, oldfogey

Hi Oldfogey, i don't suppose you used to ride a Transalp and wandered round the world fer a year or 2 ???? cheers Wicky

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#29 oldfogey

oldfogey

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:55 am

Hi wicky
no, sorry but nothing that adventurous! Been using an XS650 Special that I bought from Roy Anthony in 1980, when he had a workshop on The Quay at Exeter, up until April 2008. It was going to see me out until I draw my wooden overcoat and then my son suggested a trip around the Pyrenees last August and that's when I changed over to my TDM900. I'm still trying to catch up with new technology!! Maybe bump into you at Bridge in Exeter sometime.
Regards, oldfogey.

#30 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:14 am

ya mon oil see thee at Bridge some time ferra coffee and a natter, cheers ole timer !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#31 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:09 pm

when fitting hid lights ,is there any splicing to do or does everything just clip into the wiring loom excl.gif

#32 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:12 pm

QUOTE(divvxj @ Thu 26th Feb 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when fitting hid lights ,is there any splicing to do or does everything just clip into the wiring loom excl.gif

Nope, yep. Plug and play.
Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#33 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:15 am

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Thu 26th Feb 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, yep. Plug and play.

cheers,big wash for the beastie tomorrow oilchange and change the lights good.gif

#34 Tsuku

Tsuku

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:06 pm

Hey, just fitted HID's on my TDM 900. They work ok, one problem though. When I turn on the ignition the low beam lights up (with the headlight switch on), but when I start the engine they turn off and don't come on again unless I flick the light switch off and on again. Of course I could always teach myself to turn the lights off before I shut the engine and turn them on again when I've started her, but I'm sure I'll forget and just ride around without lights most of the time. Can I change the lights so that they don't turn on with the ignition, but after engine startup? I guess this can be done by adding a few relays?

#35 Johnlaas

Johnlaas

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 113 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:08 pm

Re the running light, what is the specification of LED replacement. Just want to make sure I finsih up with the right one.

Cheers

J

John

2012 plated model, Black - with black seat
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top box and panniers, Yamaha Heated Grips, Barkbuster Hand Guards
The Wish List - a decent horn, crash bungs 

06 Model in Blue with Silver trim [GONE - But not forgotten
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top Box and Panniers, LED running light. Acerbis Dual Road Hand Guards, HID, Yamaha heated grips
Wish List - Crash Bungs,

#36 vador

vador

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:57 am

Hi there,

The explanation is excellent but I can't see the pictures maybe because the post is old? Can you upload your pictures of the installation?

Thanks.

And great tutorial!

Regards,
VaDor

#37 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:34 pm

Hi Vador,

the photos are still there smile.gif

Try this linkydinkydoodaah http://piloot.smugmu...t/3027130_NTv6o

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#38 magneto

magneto

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:35 pm

Sorry to be a pain guys but VOSA now say that HID conversions on bikes won't pass the MOT test. I have one, and whilst the beam pattern on our beamchecker is on the weird side (and wouldn't pass btw) I never get flashed by oncoming roadusers (???). And, the vision increase is superb. So, be warned that the best you can hope for is for your sympathetic tester to make a 'mask' to legalise the pattern while not realising you have HID, and passing by 'PRS'. Or plugging in your H7 once a year, your choice.

#39 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:44 pm

Nope. Disagree. My 900 (now DannyBoys) recently passed her MOT. They are strict. I asked about HID and he replied " as long as the cut is not distorted"
He also suggested I raise the beam up a little

Cats

#40 Vaughny

Vaughny

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:55 pm

Is this HID kit still on tunex.nl, and if so where can I find it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users