#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:49 am

This is certainly not everything. Just a mere few of the threads that went together to the Carpedians discovering that BMW handguards and polisports etc fit the TDM!

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5774
[quote="StevePSD"]Since KEDO will not sell to us TDM orphans in the USA, is there any other source for the KEDO handguards in Europe that will ship to the US?

Thanks,

-steve[/quote]

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=3113
[quote="geo"]Had the same worries, so i contacted Kedo for a solution since the handguards they produce will only fit the 850 sad.gif .

this is their reply:

"...nope, will not fit TDM900, sorry!

BUT we will offer a solution for your bike soon (maybe until xmas). please check our website (news) from time to time.

best regards yours

KEDO Team / daniel doritz"

So based on their answer...., patience biggrin.gif biggrin.gif[/quote]

[quote="ET"]Here you are:

[/quote]

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5193

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5106
[quote="gil"]I got the handguards for my 850 from Polisport. They fit great and can take the whole weight of my bike between them and the top box........ don't ask.

Just pop the bar end weights off and two bolts sort it out.

I think this is them from M&P

http://www.mandp.co....x?catRef=538162

Here's a picture

[/quote]

http://www.carpe-tdm...e=quote&p=39431
[quote="v8guy"]Fitted the aforementioned last week.. finally managed to get some riding in. At 50+ mph, they superb. Not a huge effect below that though.

Fitting was straightforward; no adaptation required biggrin.gif

Pics available from the My TDM link in my sig below.[/quote]
http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/handguards/

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5617
[quote="Beeble-TDM9"]Welcome to the group. I'm also a newbie to the group and TDM's. The handguards you need are the ones off the 1150 GS (don't know whether the 1200 will fit, but they're different). I bought them for mine and they fit great. The only thing you have to do is drill and tap the bar-ends to get an 8mm thread so that you can screw the grips to them.
Paul[/quote]

[quote="andyj"]Buy a BMW R1150GS hand guard kit and get your local machine shop to drill & tap the bar end weights with a suitable thread diameter/pitch/length once they turn up and you see how the outer edge fastens through to the bars/weights.[/quote]

[quote="emmett"]
Kedo guards are bmw 650 guards, with a kit to fit them to the TDM850. You get the same result if you get your own bar ends modified, as described by andyj above biggrin.gif[/quote]

[quote="wicklamulla"]
if ya can afford it buy them from Kedo as they come pre tapped and ready to install, takes about 20 minutes tops to fit them.

the kedo ones are actually BMW F650 GS ones, this im certain of as i looked at a GS in a showroom recently and they were identical to my Kedo ones, but the 1150 GS may also have these same ones fitted..... i don't know.[/quote]

[quote="emmett"]Kedo handguards are just BMW f650 'guards with TDM bar end weights drilled and tapped to allow easy fitting to the standard TDM handlebars. So the 'end weights will not go into renthal 'bars. Best bet (and cheaper) is to buy a set of f650 'guards from BMW and drill and tap whatever 'bar ends you've got on your renthals. ohmy.gifk:

Hope this makes sense. :oops:[/quote]

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5944
[quote="nitram"]Here are Daves Renthals and guards:

[/quote]

http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5946
[quote="StevePSD"]I have been toying with the idea of putting handguards on my TDM, but I did not care for most of them I saw - mostly modified dirt-bike units, like the one's on my XR600R.

I saw a set that KEDO in Germany sells, and they look great. Another TDM owner sent me pics of the KEDO units on his TDM (Thanks nanbill!). Only problem was KEDO will no longer ship anything to the USA sad.gif plus they would run over $150.

Doing some research on this site, I was able to determine that the KEDO units are actually BMW F650GS units, with modified BMW bar-end weights. I determined that you did not need to buy the BMW bar-end weights, as I could modify the stock TDM units(the BMW units will not work without modifications).

I purchased the BMW handguard set for a 1999-2004 F650GS, BMW part # 71 60 7 682 222 from A&S Cycles in Roseville, CA (www.ascycles.com) 1-800-689-9893 for $65. I had to call them to order these, as it appears that this same part # is available with & without the bar-end weights.

I removed the stock bar-end weights, and drilled & tapped a M6x1.0 hole 1" deep in the center of the bar-ends. There is a dimple in the middle of the bar-end which makes centering the drill bit a piece of cake! The metal is fairly soft and easy to drill & tap.

After drilling & tapping, the 8mm hex is still intact, so you can still use the 8mm allen wrench to put the bar-ends on & off! The only other thing I had to do was remove about 1/8" of metal from the bottom of the aluminum fitting washer that goes in the end of the handguard, so it would sit flush with the handguard. I used a 6mm allen screw (20mm long) to secure the end of the handguards to the bar-ends.

In less than a hour, I had the bar-ends removed, drilled & tapped, and the handguards installed! The handguards fit just like they were made for the bike, right down to the rubber cushion for the top of the brake master cylinder cover.

The handguards provide a good amount of protection from wind and rain (not tested in the rain yet as I live in the desert). The handguards also clear the fuel tank and my MRA Touring windscreen (3" taller than stock with winglets). If additional protection is required, Touratech makes a removable add-on spoiler (part # 040-1711) for $25 specifically designed for these handguards.

Here are some pics of my install.

http://tinyurl.com/lgxmd

Hope this helps.

-steve sutton
Ridgecrest, CA[/quote]

EDIT quotes are all up shizzle creak at the mo ...will osrt sometime maybe possibly.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:24 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...ghlight=acerbis

QUOTE("nils")
I have ordered a pair of Acerbis Multiplo "E" as well as a replacement plastic model "T" that are supposed to fit the TDM. Don't know if is the 900 or 850 model that is indicated. I have a 900 and will hopefully get the guards any day now. Have been waiting four weeks now... sad.gif
See page 10:
http://www.acerbis.c..._handguards.pdf

/Kallakaki

QUOTE("nils")
I finally got the Acerbis handguard biggrin.gif and have mounted them on my bike (900).
If any of you will get a pair, then don't bother buying the mouting kit for the TDM. It includes two screws to lengthen the mount on the middle of the bar. I didn't need them.
I got the wrong (standard) mounting kit, a set for the Magura/Pro Taper bar. But that was a lucky strike, because the fatbar is quite narrow at the end and so is the TDM bar when the end weights are removed. The expanding mounting screws fit perfectly at the end of the bar. Th eonly thing was that I had to put an aluminium spacer at the other mounting place near the center of the bar. (I will put some pics on the forum if anyone is interested.)

/Kallakaki

QUOTE("nils")
Sorry for the large pictures :oops:

The last picture shows the different sized protections I have; enduro (yellow) and touring (black), and racing is mounted on the bike.

/Kallakaki

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Tarmo

Tarmo

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:42 am

I have TDM900 (2002). Can anybody give exact specification for BMW R1150GS hand guard kit?

BMW dealer asks exact make year for 1150GS or part code for handguard kit. It seams that there may be some differences in GS production year.

Please help with correct GS production year or kit part code.

Edited by Tarmo, 22 May 2006 - 10:06 am.

Tarmo

#4 AJ..

AJ..

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:52 pm

wanna try something else?

check tis out if you ain't so posh....and be noble..

handgrds
Current ride : TDM900,XR650R,NX650Dominator,XRV750RD07
Previous ride : XRV750,XR600R,XR400R,DRZ400S,Husqavarna TE410E,DR350,FZ6S,Bandit400,PX150,Gilera SP180,Gilera VXR200,WR400FS,XR650L,KLX250

My multiply...my life

#5 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:37 pm

More R1150GS hand guard pics here fitted to my 900....R1150GS handguards

Edited by Baron, 11 September 2007 - 12:42 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#6 CiMBo

CiMBo

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:50 pm

This is the handguards that I mount on my tdm 850. Is the original spare parts of a ktm 990 adventure (50€) that perfect fit the handlebar of my tdm.

Edited by CiMBo, 27 September 2007 - 09:42 pm.

#7 NigelB

NigelB

sticking around

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 31 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:41 am

After reading many threads about which varieties need which modification to fit, I found an answer with Demon Tweeks. They supplied me with a pair of Acerbis Rally brushguards and a universal fitting kit £35 incl p&p which were ordered on Thursday, delivered on Saturday and installed shortly afterwards. They mounted pretty easily and clear all cables etc on my standard 2002 900. Expanding plug fits easily into the bar end once the original weights have come off and the clamps supplied for the inner end of the guards fit with only a little gentle persuasion. May not be everyone's idea of style but compared to some of the modifications others have done, these work for me.
I've got pics of the result for anyone interested.

Nigel B smile.gif

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:22 pm

QUOTE(NigelB @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool, post em up here cool.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 Pippobug

Pippobug

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:43 pm

QUOTE(NigelB @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After reading many threads about which varieties need which modification to fit, I found an answer with Demon Tweeks. They supplied me with a pair of Acerbis Rally brushguards and a universal fitting kit £35 incl p&p which were ordered on Thursday, delivered on Saturday and installed shortly afterwards. They mounted pretty easily and clear all cables etc on my standard 2002 900. Expanding plug fits easily into the bar end once the original weights have come off and the clamps supplied for the inner end of the guards fit with only a little gentle persuasion. May not be everyone's idea of style but compared to some of the modifications others have done, these work for me.

Nigel B smile.gif

Hi Nigel,

Any chance of you posting some picture to see how they look on the bike? I have a TDM 02 too and can't make my mind up if to go for the BMW, V Stroms, KTM or Acerbis....

Tks,

Pippobug. smile.gif
http://www.cimt.it/

#10 NigelB

NigelB

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:22 pm

Find them here - clickable thumbnails - click to access full size images

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll e-mail 'em

NigelB

QUOTE(Pippobug @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Nigel,

Any chance of you posting some picture to see how they look on the bike? I have a TDM 02 too and can't make my mind up if to go for the BMW, V Stroms, KTM or Acerbis....

Tks,

Pippobug. smile.gif

#11 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:18 pm

Acerbis Rally II's

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#12 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:55 am

I have the BMW ones on my 02 900. The only problem is they rub when on full lock.
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#13 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:38 am

QUOTE(Sparra @ Mon 17th Sep 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem is they rub when on full lock.

fnarr fnarr

#14 solid air

solid air

sticking around

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:58 am

Thought I'd throw in my contribution to the eternal handguard question. huh.gif

Got a black pair for £28 off the shelf at local KTM dealer (also looked at a 950 supermoto...) Took about 2 minutes to fit with a few allen keys & look ok too..

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:40 pm

Gots any pics and part no's plzy?

#16 solid air

solid air

sticking around

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:54 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gots any pics and part no's plzy?

b*ll*cks! i knew someone would want a pic. Will try & oblige, though.

Part no is 6000207910030, can see them on the KTM website. Are actually made by Polisport, who seem to have a choice of thousands on their website.

#17 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:52 pm

I notice there are roughly 2 types of hand-guards: The small and "open" moto-cross ones and the bath-tub-like touring models from BMW and Suzuki.
The moto-cross ones look a lot prettier but having had the Acerbis on a 650 Africa Twin I can vouch the protection from cold and rain is negligible. Fitting additional "spoilers" helped but still nowhere near the added comfort the cheap & cheerful Suzuki V-Strom guards have on offer cool.gif

It'll be nice if Yamaha had TDM-specific hand-guards, just to spare the hassle of making the guards fit more easily. Or does Yamaha have TDM protectors these days for the 900s?
That was not a banana, Dougal

#18 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:34 pm

The new Australian Adventure model is shown with them but it also is described as having different bars.
So in theory they should be available if you can get the part no.

Edited by Landy, 19 January 2008 - 05:35 pm.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#19 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:08 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new Australian Adventure model is shown with them but it also is described as having different bars.
So in theory they should be available if you can get the part no.

I fitted the vstrom guards to mine a while back which was really easy but only because I had also fitted renthal bars which have nice small domed bar ends. This enables you to fit them using just a penny washer to hold them in place. Will post a picture in the next day or so. wink.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#20 solid air

solid air

sticking around

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:37 pm

QUOTE(solid air @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
b*ll*cks! i knew someone would want a pic. Will try & oblige, though.

Part no is 6000207910030, can see them on the KTM website. Are actually made by Polisport, who seem to have a choice of thousands on their website.

ktm handguard photo below. i think..

http://i256.photobuc...er/DSCN1944.jpg[/IMG]"]Visit My Website[/url]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users