• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:29 pm

Yep that's what I don't want to happen. I do want them done properly. So what is the solution?
Just soak in penetrating fluid or helicoil and drill out if it snaps I suppose
Or just don't bother doing the valves and hope for the best.
I do love the bike though and want to keep it long term

#102 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:05 pm

Dont trust a Yamaha dealer to do it, I was charged a fortune by Putney Yamaha when I took my last bike in to have the valves done, they did as Dapleb says! Many years and miles later Mr Henty did it properly and told me the engine had never been apart! Robbing bastards! My bikes have never been to a dealer since.

Edited by chrisr, 29 April 2020 - 04:07 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#103 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:20 pm

So what is the solution?

I searched for "valve clearance coolant" and it came up with a few old threads such as http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

I would keep applying penetrating oil and use someone with experience to undo rather than snap it.

No point in not doing it as the problem (of stuck tube) ain't going to fix itself.

Dunno where thee be but when all the lockdown is sorted someone ear ight be able to sort it for ewe.

Lettuce snow how you get on!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#104 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:17 pm

Yes will do, thanks dapleb.
I'm in Cardiff South Wales
Heard good things about JTs in Bridgend, Yamaha dealer, but a very small family one with only 2 mechanics I think

#105 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:12 pm

Rob clean it up with compressed air if you have, if not try a bycyle air pump, soak it with monkey pith for awhile, try a little gentle heat maybe, if needs you can always lift the rocker cover over the pipe ( after removing the radiator) for easier access, if you insist on having a mechanic do the valves strip all the plastics off before hand maybe... if you can follow the tutorial they are'nt difficult to do...i would not let a mechanic near mine, been down that road before "their all in spec sir"

Edited by dablik, 29 April 2020 - 06:12 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#106 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:39 pm

I know what you mean, I have done plenty myself so far since getting the bike, it's good to learn. Recently greased the rear links which was a pig with the frame sleeve seized. Took me about two weeks of trying.
Just a bit daunted by the valves.
Valve checks are the biggest pain in the ass on bikes imo. As you can't trust dealers to do them properly.
I have let bikes go before now when they were due. At least the tdm is 24k not 12k like loads of others.
Might get a Harley next when I retire as they don't need valve checks I think. I'll do pretty much everything else.

#107 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:11 pm

I know what you mean, I have done plenty myself so far since getting the bike, it's good to learn. Recently greased the rear links which was a pig with the frame sleeve seized. Took me about two weeks of trying.
Just a bit daunted by the valves.
Valve checks are the biggest pain in the ass on bikes imo. As you can't trust dealers to do them properly.
I have let bikes go before now when they were due. At least the tdm is 24k not 12k like loads of others.
Might get a Harley next when I retire as they don't need valve checks I think. I'll do pretty much everything else.

Drybollicks :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#108 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:19 pm

Checking the valve clearances is pretty straightforward once the rocker cover is removed.  Adjusting them, if they need adjusting, can be a bit tricky though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#109 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:21 pm

Always wanted one just once... 😂

Edited by Robk321, 29 April 2020 - 07:22 pm.

#110 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:49 pm

It would be nice to replace rubber gasket also. 

#111 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:48 pm

Do them Rob, my 1st time was a bit daunting but not really a problem, plenty of help on here.....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#112 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:38 am

I will get them done somehow. I have decided with the bike on 21k and the manual saying 24-25, I am not going to worry about it until then.
This winter going to get the cold start mechanism working again, at the moment I have to move it manually. Also service the swing arm.
Everything is done then except the valves for many miles.

Edited by Robk321, 01 May 2020 - 10:38 am.

#113 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:10 am

I will get them done somehow. I have decided with the bike on 21k and the manual saying 24-25, I am not going to worry about it until then.
This winter going to get the cold start mechanism working again, at the moment I have to move it manually. Also service the swing arm.
Everything is done then except the valves for many miles.

Contact Lee Henty on here. He does CSM kits with stainless steel bits to stop seizing. (username: leehenty)

Edited by AliG, 01 May 2020 - 11:11 am.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#114 boltonwill

boltonwill

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:01 pm

hi i am attempting to do the valve clearances today on a 1996 4tx 850  and found that only 2 inlet valves are out of tolerance i need a 175 and a 185 shim where would be best place to get these from and also 1 shim was a 178 that i took out is this right

#115 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:10 pm

Yes Will a 178 could be right,previous owner may have had access to original yam shims, you'll get shims on ebay but only in increments of 5..

#116 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:44 pm

Got mine from dirtbikestores on eBay. Good price and quick tracked, free delivery.
D.

#117 Malky900

Malky900

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:39 pm

Evening folks...tdm900 2004... I've checked the gap and I've got a quick question... If the gap is always meant to get tighter why do I have some inlet valves slack and will they eventually tighten enough for me to just forget about changing the shims.. I've attached a pic of the gaps... Cheers
Evening folks...tdm900 2004... I've checked the gap and I've got a quick question... If the gap is always meant to get tighter why do I have some inlet valves slack and will they eventually tighten enough for me to just forget about changing the shims.. I've attached a pic of the gaps... Cheers

Attached Files

#118 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:25 am

I know it's not a huge amount but as you're going to be sorting the tight inlet, I'd sort them all.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#119 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:10 am

:wifgeni:  Sort 'em all and have peace of mind. :)

Not sure that inlet valves are always meant to get tighter, as they run cooler than the exhaust valves.  Same as when they convert old motors to run on unleaded, they usually only do the exhaust seats as they tend to suffer more from the heat.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#120 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:17 pm

Evening folks...tdm900 2004... I've checked the gap and I've got a quick question... If the gap is always meant to get tighter why do I have some inlet valves slack and will they eventually tighten enough for me to just forget about changing the shims..

Gap doesn't always tighten. Agrozzle wid udders...do em all to spec while there.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users