17 replies to this topic

#1 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:29 am

I'm very happy with my TDM and intend to keep it, but...  for an additional bike I have a hankering for something with shaft drive that's roomier for two up touring, and with more torque.  I've been thinking about the 1200 Tenere, the reviews suggest it's not as good as a GS, and its overpriced, but I like the fact that it has the same engine configuration as the TDM, and its not a GS.  Have any of you any experience of riding the Tenere, and if so what do you think of it?

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:29 am

Big Dave's your man, he's had one for a fair while now, but brought his 900 out of retirement for the recent get together so should be able to do a decent comparison.  Not sure how active he is on here these days so might be worth bunging him a PM.

Catsbum had one briefly but changed to a Triumph Explorer if you want a comparison with other similar bikes.

Edited by ChrisG, 24 August 2015 - 10:30 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:24 pm

I've got one as well as my 9er. 

Good things are the twin headlights which really do get you noticed and are the best I've had on a bike, and the shaft drive, no more oily chain fling everywhere.

Very comfortable on long runs although I still get a numb bum but that's me not the bike.

Bad is it's bloody heavy when pushing it round the garden. Mine's the last of the 2013 models so no flashy dash etc for me. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:55 pm

Thanks for your comments guys.  ChrisG, I've pm'd Big Dave, ta for the suggestion

Cheers

#5 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:25 pm

Thanks for your comments guys.  ChrisG, I've pm'd Big Dave, ta for the suggestion

Cheers

Pm replied

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#6 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:04 pm

Spill the beans

what did you say Dave ???????

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#7 MikC

MikC

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:19 pm

I done the same as you for the same reasons. Its a BIG TDM..

More of pretty much everthing, including weight.

But, on the move it is more nimble and steers quicker than the TDM. Engine is much more powerfull. Brakes are better. Fuel cosumption around 50mpg.

No sodding around with chain maintenance, it has a centre stand, the headlights are good. Full Givi luggage doesnt make any difference.

To be totally honest, me being 5'8'' the only thing I miss on the TDM is the lighter weight, otherwise a better allrounder.

I have noticed that a lot of US riders are EX GS riders. Mainly, it seems, reliability issues with the later GS.

Mik

''Work'' The horrible four letter word

#8 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:27 pm

Never had any reliability issues with either of my GS's  :P

mebbe that's why I still have 'em ........mind you, I still have my Mk2's  :good:

Edited by sidestand, 25 August 2015 - 08:28 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#9 MikC

MikC

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:36 pm

mebbe that's why I still have 'em ........mind you, I still have my Mk2's  :good:

Not suprised. Ive never had a BM to compare TBH. Just what ive read. Gota try a RS1250 sometime though.

''Work'' The horrible four letter word

#10 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:46 pm

Spill the beans

what did you say Dave ???????

The bike is excellent for what i want to do. If you want a bhp monster then i would suggest it's not for you. I've got short legs for my 6ft height and can find it a bit heavy to move around without the engine running. When you're moving the weight just melts away. I get 50mpg riding the way i do, which is usually short shifting through the gears. I've got 25000 miles on it now and am just about to set off on a tour of Spanish picos and pyrenees. I'm lucky I've still got my TDM900 for local riding, and so i don't use the xt for local journeys that much. It will do but i have to be honest that i prefer my tdm locally.
I think you need to test ride one, they are different to the tdm.
They seem to be getting a good reputation recently with quite a few gs riders moving over for the reliability. That said there are some good deals out there, you won't need to pay list price.
This month's RIDE magazine has a review of used s10s, which in my opinion is quite accurate.

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:02 am

How long you had yours now Dave?

Mine was a pre reg 63 plate, I've done 9300miles and now needing new tyres.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:10 am

Good write up. I would be tempted on that.

For a Big bloke I did not realise you were a short arse. ...... :punishment:

#13 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:10 am

Good write up. I would be tempted on that.

For a Big bloke I did not realise you were a short arse. ...... :punishment:

He is now Medium Dave, remember Leominster Ivan :lol:

I test rode the Super 10 & was impressed all round except for the sheer size of it. Just a bit too big for me.

Nick Sanders rode the length of the America's on his. 30K odd miles if I remember & missed services & allsorts. Yamaha stripped the engine when he came back & there was little or no wear. But then that is what we expect of  Yamahas. :badgerrock:

#14 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:01 am

That R1200R ticks all my boxes but I keep hearing terrible  stories about BMW reliability. Shame really cos every time I see one I feel that it is the bike I have been looking for all these years :wub:

Edited by TinTin, 30 August 2015 - 07:02 am.

#15 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:52 am

Go and wash you mouth out in shame !

:punishment:

#16 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:00 am

TinTin,

Micks just saying that to wind us up, they've been in the BM-Fookin-W recall hospital a few times.

And that R1200r is just a GS with less plastic.

2011-R1200R4.jpg

It does take a good photo though.

#17 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:45 pm

The bike is excellent for what i want to do. If you want a bhp monster then i would suggest it's not for you. I've got short legs for my 6ft height and can find it a bit heavy to move around without the engine running. When you're moving the weight just melts away. I get 50mpg riding the way i do, which is usually short shifting through the gears. I've got 25000 miles on it now and am just about to set off on a tour of Spanish picos and pyrenees. I'm lucky I've still got my TDM900 for local riding, and so i don't use the xt for local journeys that much. It will do but i have to be honest that i prefer my tdm locally.
I think you need to test ride one, they are different to the tdm.
They seem to be getting a good reputation recently with quite a few gs riders moving over for the reliability. That said there are some good deals out there, you won't need to pay list price.
This month's RIDE magazine has a review of used s10s, which in my opinion is quite accurate.

Well it's taken me the best part of a year, but I've finally got one - a 2013 model with 6,700 miles on the clock.  I've still got the TDM but it's being a bit neglected at the moment whilst the Tenere is getting all the attention.  I've had it for about about a month and am really loving the extra torque and the way it just rolls over pot holes and bumps without any bother.  It handles surprisingly well for such a heavy bike too, and I'm getting around 53 to the gallon.  Slight downsides so far  - the "Touring" mode does make the engine feel a bit lifeless, although the speedo says different, and surprisingly my wife prefers riding pillion on the TDM, she says all that space on the Tenere makes her feel a bit disconnected and exposed.  Also standard Yamaha Top Box and panniers are all too small to take a helmet.  Next month I'll be giving the Tenere a proper try out as I'm taking it on a short break to the Eifel region in Germany with eldest son and two mates (GSX750R, GS1200, VFR800). Happy Days :)

P.S.  I wonder how long it will be before Yamaha introduce a revised Africa Twin answering /Tracer version of the Tenere :unsure2:

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:56 am

Heh. Looks like 2017 for the next Tenere. I'm all a tither about it.

http://www.bennetts....e/#.Vz60pCHW5uE

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users