#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:44 pm

Sounds a nightmare. Have you got access to an air hammer/air chisel ?   They're a godsend when it gets serious like this

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:03 pm

I have the pleasure of doin vibration testing on the boogers but dont have air tools mesen. Thanks for suggestion,will add it to the list!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#23 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:12 am

How do you use an air hammer/chisel (have one) without splaying the ends of the bolt over?

#24 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:13 pm

I'm guessing with this you could attach summat to end (like me pullerwith threaded bar) since bolt hollow and then Muller on that?

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#25 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:14 pm

I had a smaller Suzuki with the same problem with bolt stuck in engine, finished up cutting bolt either side of engine then angle grind through cases to bolt then loads of releasing agent and a big hammer.  Early Goldwings suffer the same problem with the lower front engine fixing with them you have turn bike upside down and run angle grinder across the bottom of the motor.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#26 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:31 pm

I had a smaller Suzuki with the same problem with bolt stuck in engine, finished up cutting bolt either side of engine then angle grind through cases to bolt then loads of releasing agent and a big hammer.  Early Goldwings suffer the same problem with the lower front engine fixing with them you have turn bike upside down and run angle grinder across the bottom of the motor.

:blink:  :shocked:  :isurrender:

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#27 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:12 pm

I'm guessing with this you could attach summat to end (like me pullerwith threaded bar) since bolt hollow and then Muller on that?

Yep, just like that

Anything will do. Don't worry about the bolt , a new one is best anyway....go for a smaller diameter rod as a drift if battering it internally, or something which is the correct diameter if the bolt stem is captive within a tube.

What I was actually thinking was that twisting the bolt is sometimes easier than trying to push it through in order to break the seize....so use the air chisel to cut off the bolt head flanges which stop it from rotating, then weld a torque arm onto anything you can get to and try rotating it.

#28 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:50 am

Dapers,  Forget my first post, complete bollocks got mixed up with a mates bike as well, this may help---

KLR 650 stuck swing arm bolt in the rear shock pivot it did defeat the local garage press but when i realized the bearings were a left and right job with a 10mm gap in the middle I drilled the pivot big enough to get a WD40 tube into and kept squirting unti a brown mess started coming out then with the frame upside down I hit it with a rubber mallet first one direction and then the other with the bolt done up until it was freed up and the bolt just tapped out like it should.Bearings were shot and I did get a second hand pivot thingy and drilled it in the center and tapped it for a 6mm grease nipple.

Even if you only had one big bearing in there you could drill to it and still squirt right in there and replace bearing

#29 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas chaps. will hopefully have more of a tinker next week.

#30 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:11 pm

Had a google and found brill idea . . . Undo nut and ride bike until swingarm falls off! :-)

Also drilling the silly flat end off the bolt as SR suggested and then tightening the nut to pull the remains through the opposite side... Using the bolt as its own puller .... Adding washers if/when progress is made.

#31 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:20 am

Had a google and found brill idea . . . Undo nut and ride bike until swingarm falls off! :-)

We'll want video.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:42 am

We'll want video.

...and a warning of what day it's going to take place on

#33 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:51 am

Also drilling the silly flat end off the bolt as SR suggested and then tightening the nut to pull the remains through the opposite side... Using the bolt as its own puller .... Adding washers if/when progress is made.

Sounds good if it works but it might just spin the bolt, leaving you with the nut stuck on it.  That said, if it does spin the bolt, you can then use the thread bar pulling technique. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#34 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:54 pm

Forget the monkey pis and duck oil - lay it on it's side and soak diesel down the area for a few days then try to whack/pull it. 

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#35 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:30 pm

General anusthetick time!

Just happened to have me a litre o diesel from slug filter change.

Attached File  DSC_0802.JPG   83.93KB   0 downloads

#36 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:47 pm

Stick ya tongue in the leccy socket then give the swingy a good lickin to shock it to buggery  :D

Sounds like a bad un dappers, wots about a bit of heat then freeze spray, shall i come and breathe onnit for ya  :)

"Shock & Unlock" freeze and release spray from Hellfrauds has conquered major seizups for me. If not available, could substitute plumber's pipe freezing kit + good ol' PlusGas?

Edited by Pict, 24 April 2016 - 11:51 pm.

#37 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:39 pm

So the boike was uprighted after a week of lion Doon in pickling diesel!

New puller of hardened everything attached. Heat applied gently with limited access.

... And nothing. .... But then wait....with the puller and much whacking it moved slightly and that lovely change in tone.

3hours later and it moved 1cm :-D then the press broke.

Next step new press mk3 and try again!!!

#38 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:13 am

Ooh frustrating  :rant:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#39 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:12 am

Ding dong !  Good job Dappers. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#40 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:04 pm

41more minutes of working my 10mm and it became 15mm. Enough for silly flat bolt head to clear frame ... Then got 10degrees of twist goin on, combined with re ~pete 15mm to and fro and it was over!

Thanks all for the helpful advice. That was def the toughest bolt extraction yet.

Now time for a load of grease nipples!!!!

The offender with puller remains :-)

Attached File  DSC_0817.JPG   63.14KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users