Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:51 pm

This is FACT so you aren't...... :P

Sometimes when travelling abroad one has occasion to use pay at pump only fuel stations, so here's the gist of it........have some cash about your person - always. :good:

For normal use UK cards are fine in shops/fuel stations/restaurants/supermarkets etc. and this also includes tollbooths, (only ever had a card rejected once at a southern Spain toll), carry some cash JIC

Some unattended/pay at pump fuel stations will not accept UK Credit OR Debit cards - not your old swipe and signature cards, but Chip and PIN and I'm not on about old fuel stations either....often there is a machine function which will take banknotes, you won't get change from any unused balance.

Belgium - my UK cards (which won't work in Nieuwerkerken ING Bank at all, but do work in Sint Truiden or Herk de Stad ING & KBC Banks, although the swipe function will not open the external doors, so one has to hang around like a dodgy chap waiting for someone to enter), therefore there is a lack of standardisation within the organisations............kin bankers. :punishment:

On comparison with Splodge's local/native cards, the contacts position for the chip is slightly different and the contact surface is considerably smaller than the UK variety.....so I reckon that's why, at some pay at pump stations INCLUDING new ones, your card may not work, (tested at old & new stations myself).

I know lots of peeps have never had a bother and generally, I don't either - just a heads up for summertime to ensure you have some cash for possible local assistance or for the often present banknote accepting card alternative.........

Replies on sealed envelopes containing folding type money appreciated but not acknowledged.............. ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:54 pm

:good:

#3 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:26 am

Thanx for the heads up.
I would never have thought that the standard/design would differ.
On the other hand, I've traveled from Ireland to Bulgaria and never had a card refused or not recognized.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:00 am

Is contactless being adopted abroad ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:52 pm

[quote name="fixitsan" post="332934" timestamp="1462705240"]Is contactless being adopted abroad ?[/quote]

I travel in Europe quite a bit and I can't say I've noticed contactless and deffo not used it/mine abroad.

[quote name="celticbiker" post="332926" timestamp="1462699600"]Thanx for the heads up.
I would never have thought that the standard/design would differ.
On the other hand, I've traveled from Ireland to Bulgaria and never had a card refused or not recognized.[/quote

Not had cards refused in Bulgaria either, but have had them refused at p@p in Romania - had cash so a yummy mummy helped out using her card (22:30 ish hours, out in the sticks - bike running on vapour and prayers).

#6 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:02 pm

Only issue I have had is in certain parts of The Netherlands that the automatic credit card unit charges your card initially with €99 until the transactions is completed, when the actual amount is booked. This could be an issue if you were near your credit card limit. It is only timing, of course.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:54 am

I've had automatic pay at pump ones refuse my card in France.  Always keep some notes handy and you prepay a bit less than you need, ie bung in 10 euros and the pump will cut out when it reaches that amount.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:19 pm

I've used a pre-paid post office travel card (mastercard) which was widely excepted, only issue was when covering mega miles in one day the card was blocked, turns out when i enquired they thought it was being used fraudulently as i was topping up so much  :huh: no issues after i told them i was travelling by bike, had cash for the unexpected moments.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:01 pm

Always found caxton great but been so long that I couldn't remember any of details.

Travelling back early on Sunday morn so hopefully either cash or normal card will do it!

Thanks for reminder favs.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 ric

ric

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:07 pm

Contact less is already in, at least in part, in  Spain and France to my knowledge.  Only card refusal I've experienced is in France, petrol station, Leclerc I think, where fuel is usually at a good price.  Card company say it's not them but some retailers will set machines to reject cards from other countries.

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:13 pm

Not on the bike, but, in the US a lot of the pump payments won't take UK card because you can't provide a zip code! Some places now accepts chip and pin although only in the last year or two. 

I had to go in, pay about what I thought the car would take and hope I hadn't overpaid.

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:14 am

Says it all.

Small chip is UK.

20161020_230953_zpsquqpft0k.jpg

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:27 am

My UK cards have the larger chip.

But then again I use the Bank of Scotland, so are they really UK cards  ?  !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:24 am

My UK cards have the larger chip.

But then again I use the Bank of Scotland, so are they really UK cards  ?  !

:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: touring, travel, abroad, credit, debit, Fuel, Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users