11 replies to this topic

#1 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:25 pm

So the wife & I are off to Normandy for a long weekend at the beginning of June.

She really didn't want to wear leather trollies & said she'd wear ordinary jeans. Not on my bike you won't, I replied.

So a little late asking this question as I have purchased a pair of kevlar jeans for each of us (Bikers Gear Australia).

Who has them & how'd you find them.

Anyone had a spill wearing them, if so how did they fare.

Have to admit I'm a bit wary about wearing them, & have looked at reviews to see how they stand up. But first hand knowledge from someone on here would be good.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#2 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:32 pm

Can't comment on jeans but I've got a pair of Kevlar leggings that are absolutely brilliant. Not cheap though. A lot of my lady biker pals have them.

I have a discount code for £10 off. If she's interested PM me.

http://www.gogogear....egging-44-p.asp

Have a looksee.

Edited by Kelpie, 17 May 2016 - 05:33 pm.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:58 pm

Bit cheaper here for leggings 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:02 pm

The leggings I put the link up for are double layered and designed to be worn on their own, not under jeans. They also have knee protects.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#5 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:14 pm

Can't comment on jeans but I've got a pair of Kevlar leggings that are absolutely brilliant. Not cheap though. A lot of my lady biker pals have them.

I have a discount code for £10 off. If she's interested PM me.

http://www.gogogear....egging-44-p.asp

Have a looksee.

Thanks for that info, think she would prefer jeans. Well, she will if she doesn't know about the leggings  ;) .

Bit cheaper here for leggings 

Ooerr!

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#6 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:29 pm

I got a pair of the Australian Bikers Gear jeans, but the fit wasn't very good, the knee/hip pads didn't sit in the right places and were uncomfortable.  I've since got a pair from the Lidl offers for occasional short trips and they're OK.  Not had an off yet, so I can't comment on crash effectiveness.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#7 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:47 pm

You need hip pads.
Lidl jeans were ok when I went down a couple of years ago. That's how I know you need hip armour.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:21 pm

Got red route which are fine,no offs as they only happen when wearing leather or textile  :huh:  next pair will be Hoodjeans most likely.. but find the jeans are comfy off and on the bike..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:10 pm

If they're a loose fit consider getting armour that straps to you rather than attaches to the jeans as the latter can easily move about in a crash.  I've got Knoxx Crossgaurd knee armor which is convenient because the velcro straps mean i don't have to take my boots off to get them on/off, but the Mrs has got Forcefield Limbtubes which look more comfortable.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:10 am

........have had Hood jeans for a couple of years......the only armoured jeans I've tried, so can't make a fair comparison.
Not had an 'off' with them so, again, can't comment on their protective qualities.

So all I can say is that they're well made, very comfortable in spite of being noticeably heavy and warmer compared to, say 501's,
but not unbearably so. Knox D30 armour is an option (velcro?). Leg length supplied as required from Hood, who are very pleasant to deal with over the phone, though maybe a touch conservative in terms of their vision for alternative 'styles' for their products - but then its a small 'family' firm, so understandably cautious.
The jeans inspire confidence......I 'never leave home without them'

Jiff

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:07 am

If they're a loose fit consider getting armour that straps to you rather than attaches to the jeans as the latter can easily move about in a crash.  I've got Knoxx Crossgaurd knee armor which is convenient because the velcro straps mean i don't have to take my boots off to get them on/off, but the Mrs has got Forcefield Limbtubes which look more comfortable.

You speak the truth. I've had a couple of slow speed offs in two brands of kevlar jeans and they were fine. No gravel rash. But the armour was pants, sorry.

Personally I'm prepared to trade the comfort of jeans with decent armour underneath over leathers. If I come off at a speed which grinds the stitching out of the jeans then I'm going to be a lot more worried about immovable objects than gravel rash. IYKWIM.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:47 pm

You need hip pads.
Lidl jeans were ok when I went down a couple of years ago. That's how I know you need hip armour.

Second that, and make sure they fit really well

The only biking scar I carry is on my left hip, which got gravel rashed after a fast high side slammed me down on my side and the waistband of my leather trousers slid down below my hip.

not down to the bone, thankfully, but a 2 inch square right over the hip bone....the scar has since moved quite a bit as I changed size !

Edited by fixitsan, 23 May 2016 - 10:47 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users