33 replies to this topic

#21 Stratman

Stratman

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:34 pm

I'm waiting for the MT-09 touring version. 115 bhp 900 triple. Sounds just the ticket. My friend has a KTM - it goes like a rocket, but cost £15,000 new and has so many problems with excess heat coming off the engine and overheating the rider. Mind you, the TDM blows a load of hot air when filtering in hot climes too.

Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

#22 krispa

krispa

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:58 pm

Why no one's mentioning Honda CBF1000? On paper it looks very good. Used prices very competitive! When times come to replace mine, it will by high on the shopping list right along tdm900.

Edited by krispa, 29 September 2014 - 07:41 pm.

#23 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:38 pm

Why no one's mentioning Honda CBF1000? On paper it looks very good. Used prices very competitive! When times come to replace my it will by high on shopping list right along tdm900.

Great bike! I had 2 CBF1000GT's before the BM and 9er, not at the same time tho....  Great torque, nice brakes and really forgiving. Honda build quality only let down by  charging issues on a " few more than you might expect" boikes.

You can pick up a pre loved one very reasonably. Compared to the TDM they are a bit heavy though.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#24 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:06 pm

Mandi (the misses) has one, now on 20,000 miles. It's had a new stator and a Idle air control valve. Bloody cracking engine but the bike's to small.

Honda build quality is no more, it's eroding away as I type. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#25 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:15 pm

i wonder what Dick ended up buying in the end? 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#26 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:48 am

:lol: You bored?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#27 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:51 am

The TDM are middleweight bikes and when I have to change it won't be for a gs1250 or ktm 11 or 12 whatever, I will be looking for another middleweight bike to keep me happy as I get older, preferably one that's shaft driven.........so the only one really that stands out for me is the moto guzzi v85tt

https://www.motoguzz.../V85-TT/V85-TT/

A decent review

Attached Files

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#28 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:47 am

That would be the right choice and it really appeals to me as well.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#29 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:23 am

:lol: You bored?

LOL ya fecker (actually yes i am bored!)

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#30 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:06 pm

KTM 790

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#31 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:20 pm

My left wrist is slowly giving up so nothing with a heavy-ish clutch. Had a look at a DCT Africa Twin. Rides ok as best you can check with a test ride. Very little head buffeting, bags of grunt from the off. I haven't found anything that suits what I need better. Just a shame it's so tall and VERY off road focused. Insurance is a bit though though. 9'er was £160, this thing cheapest so far is close to a grand. 

I also looked at the VFR cross. I really liked the bike except that the hydraulic clutch was the heaviest I've tried.

#32 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:50 pm

Went for a quick ride on the 9'er as a last run before getting the Africa twin and decided the Africa twin wasn't really for me.

Looked at everything up to 7 years old. I've sat on a lot and test ridden a few. I thought I'd love the Honda NC750 but found it to be soul less. Easy to ride but bland. I even tried a BMW f800 GT. Sounds like a moped and buzzes at speed, I could feel it through the whole bike. Africa twin was too gangly and made me long for wide open spaces - no good for urban Lancashire. I wasn't happy with the 650 Vstrom or Versys. The bigger Versys was too big and the Vstrom just didn't feel right. The naked bikes all have bars too low for my old aching arms. The leg position on the Yamaha Mt09/Tracer would cripple my knees after a few miles. Triumph and KTM - didn't really look properly at them TBH. 

So all being well the 9'er will be back in operation this week. :banana:

#33 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:13 pm

Sounds like Supertramp moment :good:

Edited by Favs, 02 November 2019 - 05:15 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#34 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:29 pm

Try the Tracer 700! As of now, it would be my choice of (new) bike
Bjørge