muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:40 pm

8ceFCMM.jpg 
Big departure for me after years of having Japanese bikes, 13 of those with my trusty 9er, but I'd been eyeing up the Himalayan for a few months as a left field contender. So when a 2018 with just over a 1k on the clock came up with a £500 set of bloody decent panniers and at a good price, I bit. 

The build quality looks pretty impressive, very well put together. It just looks solid and ready for work, ready to hit the trails and back lanes. More importantly, not a bit of plastic in sight, just metal, with everything accessible, as it used to be. As Fixitsan would know, me and plastic just don't get on and I'm more than pleased to end the relationship. 

I wasn't looking forward to the ride home in the dark on an unfamiliar bike and having no navigation aid other than a rough idea of the way around Manchester. The dip beam isn't really up to job and on the twisty lanes I simply had to keep it on high, which was adequate. Riding lights are a must. 

Once off, the bike reminds me of a heavier version of the Kawasaki Super Sherpa, more than my old XT600E and was more comfortable than both, with a sit in rather than on feel. Engine wise, it's not vibey until you get over 5k and even then it's more like complaining, which is good feedback. So I just kept it at 5k-ish and around 60-65 mph on the motorway. It had just enough to get past slower lorries, but I would hold it at 75 mph for long periods. At 60 mph it just thrummed away contentedly and likely will return around 75-80 mpg in the bargain at those speeds. It was on the lanes where it felt more at home, though with the dual sport tyres in the dark and the rain I was very wary of testing the handling. Early days.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:05 pm

Congrats Len, the search is finally over, good choice though i would think, reviews are very positive for this bike and maintenance looks a doddle, you'll have to compare notes with Ali as he recently acquired one as a second bike, happy trails fella :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:29 pm

Loike yer boike.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:41 pm

Nice one. There are plenty of trails in your area to try it out on ;)

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#5 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:13 pm

Looks the business.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:48 pm

Nice :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:43 am

With the amount of traffic on the motorways these days, life in the not so fast lane is quite appealing.  I like the idea of simple maintenance too.  Congratulations Muddy. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:31 am

Cheers all. My Grom reintroduced to me to the low tech, slow tech type of bike that I grew up with. I'm hoping that I can do all the maintenance myself without relying on the tech gurus such as our beloved Mr Henty

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:18 pm

Glad you got sorted after your recent Bolton troubles.

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:42 pm

A one year owner has written of his experiences with his Himalayan in MCN this week.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:23 pm

Took it out round the lanes this afternoon. It's just made for this sort of relaxed riding. Great turning circle and handling. Many complain about the front brake, but I agree with Chris Scott, it's just fine for this type of bike and the back brake is very good. Gave it a nice wash on getting home and can see it's screaming for stainless steel nuts and bolts. Lee, what have you done to me.

#12 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:05 am

Looks good I like it :)
Enjoy !

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#13 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:38 pm

Be interesting to learn how you get on. A guy called Nathan Millward who runs adventure tours in the UK and beyond brought his Himalayan to our bike club (Bromsgrove MCC) a few weeks back. He'd covered thousands of miles and really loved his.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#14 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:05 pm

Same as everyone else really interested how this bike gets on
With yourself + Ali G putting your money down we should get a good idea

Personally I'm interested in how it handles in the day to day abuse / neglect scenario ( Feel free to avoid cleaning etc ) this Bike on paper ticks a lot of boxes for a second bike etc , so please keep us posted on how you get on.

Andy

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:21 pm

Same as everyone else really interested how this bike gets on
With yourself + Ali G putting your money down we should get a good idea

Personally I'm interested in how it handles in the day to day abuse / neglect scenario ( Feel free to avoid cleaning etc ) this Bike on paper ticks a lot of boxes for a second bike etc , so please keep us posted on how you get on.

Andy

I'm cleaning it regularly at the moment to keep the corrosion at bay. I must say I now understand the rationale for cleaning frequently, it gives you the opportunity to check things and this RE will need checking often. With my TDM, which was so reliable, I just did the minimum, which brings me to my next point.

I've done more fettling in the short period of time I've had it, than years on my TDM. I lacked the confidence to take on anything but easy, to moderate jobs and thought that with this bike I'm going to give things a go. I'm loving it and that's because most of the bike is accessible without having to remove a ton of plastic.

I've gone full tilt in the electrikery dept, which I've always been very apprehensive about. It's now got a 6 way fuse box and relay and I've fitted a USB charger run to the cockpit and cigarette lighter socket under the seat for the tyre pump. Also added are a couple of LED driving lights. Next job is to do the 3000 mile service myself, tappets and all. Learn one, do one, teach one as they say in the medical profession, though I think I'll omit the teaching bit just yet.  

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:42 pm

Woopwoop Len, that's what i found appealing also, the accessibility, you'll be receiving a fettling award soon then eh, so come on tell us how's the transition gone to a smaller cc bike and what's it like to ride, especially where you live, it's biking heaven..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:44 pm

Woopwoop Len, that's what i found appealing also, the accessibility, you'll be receiving a fettling award soon then eh, so come on tell us how's the transition gone to a smaller cc bike and what's it like to ride, especially where you live, it's biking heaven..

Well it's different, that's for sure. I had a little Honda Grom for a few years, so I kinda got acclimatised to the lack of pep. I'd never have bought one if I was still down south where you so often need the spare horses to get out of trouble. 

It handles surprisingly good as well, so it loves the back lanes. Took it down my first green lane a few weeks ago, with some really rocky sections and steep inclines and it took everything in it's stride. Good fun, but, phew, hard work. Also getting around 80 mpg, so happy days. 

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:54 pm

Brilliant it's a tough call to downsize but sounds like you made the right choice, 80mpg :huh: happy biking.

#19 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:31 pm

It's all about maintaining momentum ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#20 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:01 pm

But have you thrown it in a river yet Len, apparently you have to do that on its first outing!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users