#21 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:32 pm

It is amazingly comfortable if a little odd to ride. The front of the seat has a bonded rubber bush like the spring eye bushes in a series 3 landy. The only problem arises sitting at idle at traffic lights, the undersquare long 90mm stroke, heavy piston thundering up and down and no balance shaft makes you bob up and down nodding your head.

On the road it's a nice ride, pop it in top and open and shut throttle round bends, no powerband it just gets louder or quieter.

Redline is 5600, no point going up there, it's a torque engine happy at about 4300 rpm. About 90 mpg.

It will do mile after mile at 65mph, and in sharp twisties the short wheelbase and the extremely low first gear means it will go up nearly anything. Weighs about the same as a niner but weight is very low slung. 40 spoke wheels make it tough as old nails.

Engineering wise  it's about as simple as it gets, gear cams and pushrods a la 1950's.

Basic Japanese fuel injection by Keihin. Hydraulic tappets and a centrifugal decompressor is the only modern touch. it does have a kickstart but I took lever off to save weight, covering exposed shaft with a nice turned alloy cover. Electric hoof is japanese by nippon denso. People ride these things (slowly) round the world.

It came with 200 miles on clock, donated to me by a very good friend who saw I needed a project.

Edited by leehenty, 28 November 2019 - 11:48 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#22 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:47 am

90 mpg I've not managed, now I'm bloody envious.

Your one is more traditional looking and chromey than mine. I added a couple of army bags to the tank racks to give it the dispatch look, fitted the Beemer handguards, a couple of auxiliary LED lights and a tool tube. Also took off the pillion seat and put on a temporary chopping board cover until I can find some ally plate to fit. It's looks a bit iced up after last nice heavy freeze, but the sun's out now and I'll be going for a ride in a little while to thaw it out proper.
ZG1KSyY.jpg

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#23 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:02 pm

Welcome back to the fold. Sad to hear about the master, we know what an inspiration he was to you.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#24 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:32 pm

Welcome back Lee - and sorry to hear about Master - i am sure you will feel him looking over your shoulder in the new workshop - let us know when up and running and i can think of some stainless for my Buell -

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#25 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:32 pm

Dablik so something went wrong or you had some sort of off, to have to abandon it, not salvageable is it ? The reason I ask is that I have become black van man, Fiat Ducato with ramps for bikes.

He didn't need a van to bring it back Lee, a carrier bag would have done it ;-)

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#26 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:56 pm

Oh dear a sad end for a Niner I put quite a bit of effort into some bits for that one.

Edited by leehenty, 29 November 2019 - 09:59 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#27 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:02 pm

Muddy let me know plate dimensions and any hole centres you need, I have inherited quite a lot of dural plate in various thicknesses. Mostly 6082T6 but there is also some 7075 high tensile stuff.

It's standing behind the miller gathering dust, so you are welcome to some for your bike.

Also I can make you a set of those front mudguard risers which are effectively a drilled spacer and longer bolts, cost peanuts.

Your 410 can rev much higher than mine and has cam timing and a balancer to suit, I only get 90mpg cos' I ride like a granny.

Edited by leehenty, 29 November 2019 - 10:07 pm.

#28 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:13 pm

This might be my next effort, turbo the blighter.

#29 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:11 pm

Dablik so something went wrong or you had some sort of off, to have to abandon it, not salvageable is it ? The reason I ask is that I have become black van man, Fiat Ducato with ramps for bikes.

Missed this post Lee, i had an off and the bike was totaled, was'nt any point to bringing it back home as it was well bent out of shape, although it helped some what when the insurance were being arsey and i told them to repatriate the bike which resulted in a better payout..

He didn't need a van to bring it back Lee, a carrier bag would have done it ;-)

:lol:  exscuse me, 2 bags..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#30 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:53 am

Deffo only brought you one carrier bag of bits from Sideys repatriation service.  :P  And half of the contents belonged to Picard anyhoos. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#31 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:53 am

:D yes the sat nav, think i walked away with the key and alarm remote only.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#32 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:38 pm

Muddy let me know plate dimensions and any hole centres you need, I have inherited quite a lot of dural plate in various thicknesses. Mostly 6082T6 but there is also some 7075 high tensile stuff.

It's standing behind the miller gathering dust, so you are welcome to some for your bike.

Also I can make you a set of those front mudguard risers which are effectively a drilled spacer and longer bolts, cost peanuts.

Your 410 can rev much higher than mine and has cam timing and a balancer to suit, I only get 90mpg cos' I ride like a granny.

If you ride like a granny, then I ride like her mother. The sweet spot on mine is 4-4.5k rpm and I generally sit at 4, which 50 mph. I'll take it up to 60 mph (65 if I'm in a hurry) on the motorway, even though other Himalayan owners say they'll do 80. Mine will never see 80 mph, that's obscene on one of these.

Thanks for the offer of some plate Lee, may well take you up on that. Come spring I'll venture down your way and you can tut tut away at my shoddy workmanship :hide: 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#33 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:33 pm

You are welcome to call in, your bike will.leave with more stainless than it came with

#34 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:42 pm

Hello Mr Henty

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I had the pleasure of meeting him on one of my visits to your old shop! Lovely bloke.

Glad to hear you're back with a vengeance by the sound of it. Isn't the Enfield a bit cramped for those long legs of yours?

I'm still on a GS (although a 2009 now). And yes it does need Hentyising. Usual BMW monkey metal fixings LOL

Take care matey

Edited by Matt101, 01 December 2019 - 10:42 pm.

#35 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:43 pm

Good to hear from you Lee. Sorry to hear about the Master Engineer, My condolences sir.

Glad you're back in the fold.

Happy times.

Attached File  DSC_8313.JPG   171.85KB   0 downloads

Edited by TDMick, 02 December 2019 - 12:02 am.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#36 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:10 am

Thanks Matt and Mick, It's been long road what with one thing and another. I'm still finding tools and stuff that he stashed away in various places. He was the fount of all knowledge engineering, a great loss felt by many.

I had to raise the seat of the Enfield to fit better and it was still a bit cramped on the Spain run.

I'm surprised you haven't returned to the TDM fold Matt. My TDM has been in mothballs in dry storage for over two years, so it will need a wee fettle to get her back up and running.

New shop isn't far from old one, much better access and area to work. You will have to bring that GS for a dose of stainless.

Photo is AligG fettle May ? 2015 as you say happier times. He is still hovering around I think, I feel it every time I zero the lathe after a job. He had a thing about leaving machines set to exact zero, something I've inherited.

Edited by leehenty, 02 December 2019 - 12:24 am.

#37 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:33 am

Lee

Yes you're right 12/4/2015

A pleasure to meet the Master. and watch him work.

Attached File  DSC_8335 0000.JPG   118.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_8288 0000.JPG   175.08KB   0 downloads

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:50 am

He did a lot of work on an Adult Mental health project in his final two years. The patients built a rememberance garden for him at the project. It won three awards, unfortunately too late for him to see them.

Edited by leehenty, 02 December 2019 - 12:58 am.

#39 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:50 am

Lovely that Lee  :good:

#40 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:37 am

that is a nice tribute but i do hope the plaque is made of the highest grade bronze or brass!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users