88 replies to this topic

#1 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:05 pm

Hi Guys, wot do you reckon about this screen??? Since I've had my TDM I do get a lot of turbulence as I'm a tall guy and just seen this on evilbay , has anyone got one or knows about em??

Ta Buck

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item338d9ada5e

#2 palexxxx

palexxxx

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:32 pm

Looks like that is the taller of the two Yamaha touring screens.  It doesn't rate too highly in this comparison by TDM900 owners 

http://www.jbx9.t15....&num=0&action=2

Edited by palexxxx, 20 April 2014 - 11:45 pm.

#3 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:24 am

Hi Palexxxx , thanks for your reply and good info site that bud.

#4 Staffy

Staffy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:57 am

That said I've had both the vario and yamaha touring on the tdm and actually prefer the yamaha touring screen except for those hot days touring. I'll likely keep the yamaha one on over autumn and winter as the rain protection is much better then put the vario on for the hotter weather. That eBay one actually looks taller than the yamaha one by the way.

#5 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:46 am

Hi Staffy , yeah thats what I thought mate , with me being well over 6" I thought that'd be the better one.

Cheers Buck

#6 pirsig

pirsig

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:46 am

Hi, 

can't comment on this screen but have you considered the Wunderlich screen fitting - i've got it on my '97 850 and it's made a huge difference.  I'm 5' 10'' and slightly built.  Also it is expensive - about £110 new.  best wishes, Pete

#7 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:30 am

Hi Pete, not yet mate but will check now,

Ta Buck

#8 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:37 pm

Hi Buck...

aha.. the screen issue.... yes indeed....

when I got our 9er it came with the touring screen, and the noise was F**king unbearable. Not buffeting, just NOISE!!!!! (the screen was +14cms I think). Did I say it was loud?!!

So, I bought an original screen (thinking it could not get any worse), and got wind resistance AND noise. I could actually feel the wind rushing under the helmet (I am 5'9").

So, I cut down the touring screen in increments of 5 cms: at its worse my head was visibly being knocked from left to right at speed... AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!

So, in sheer desperation I bought the costly MRA Madstad screen http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=28739. Sure, it is large, but now noise and buffeting is a thing of the past. Ahhhh..... :banana:  (worth every penny to me).

As far as I can tell, the noise and buffeting is from air that is diverted around the screen meeting air coming up the nose fairing, and the two channels of air (one on either side) are angled directly at the sides of the rider's head. (easy test: lean forward at speed, hold the left (I said 'LEFT') hand out and run it around the screen. If it is true for you, you will feel a lot of air flow at the outside of the screen).

Attached File  TDM with Madstad screen 1.jpg   192.06KB   3 downloadsAttached File  TDM with Madstad screen 3.jpg   169.22KB   2 downloads

however, as you can imagine, it's not everyone's cup-of-tea, some cos of the money, but most because it is so large. many people don't like umbrellas either...  :punishment:

Nick

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#9 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:48 pm

Hi Nick, thanks for your input matey and to be truthful I don't mind how a screen looks so long as it does the job, I'll look into it.

Ta Buck

#10 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:22 pm

Hi All, just seen this screen so has anyone had one and would it be beneficial to a taller guy like meself??

Ta Buck

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c3d93df86

#11 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:49 am

I got that MRA screen hoping it would be an improvement over standard but it isn't.  Noise at least as bad but probably a bit more protection from wind on the body.  I'm 6ft 1.  I now run the mra screen with an additional spoiler on top above the standard screen.  getting a flow of air up the back of whatever screen you use is the secret I believe.

DSC08612.JPG
I started a topic called screen solution which has some good contributions.

#12 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:04 am

Hi Deauman, yeah I read your topic and was impressed with your idea, I just aint got the time or mind to do something like that really mate as I work all week and again on Saturday nights too so that just leaves \Sundays to do stuff or go out riding. I think the MRA Vario is my best option for a quick fix or alternatively shorten my legs by 10" . 

Ta Buck

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:19 am

Buck it's really hard to give advice for a screen, given were all different sizes and wear different helmets, the shape of which can alter aerodynamics, the only way you are ever going to know is trying them, as that could get expensive i finally settled on a cut down screen for most of my riding, this keeps the wind out of my face but still gives me a nice work out on the motorway at higher speeds. Im shy of 6 ft but nice and roundish  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:32 am

Hiya mate , yeah I know its costly and thats why I keep asking questions ( Are you all getting fed up yet ? ) i suppose I'm in a minority being 6' 5" and its awkward not having a bottomless pot of dosh, I may have to go down the road of fixing different pieces of plastic on my screen just to find a happy medium then go from there.

Ta matey

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:51 am

Blimey 6'5" Buck, hm the only thing that's going to work for you will be one of them screens from a C1  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:09 am

Well Buck

You need one of these,think they do you a TDM special

#17 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:54 am

Ha ha ha Like both of those but I think I'd fall asleep behind the one Ramo posted , cracking ideas tho pmsl

Buck

#18 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:05 pm

What part of the world are you in Buck?  It's always good to check other people's set-ups.

#19 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:56 pm

Hi Deauman, I live in Hull , Humberside mate

#20 shadowjack

shadowjack

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:13 pm

Blimey 6'5" Buck, hm the only thing that's going to work for you will be one of them screens from a C1  :)

OK, so I clicked on the link and quietly laughed to meself, whilst shaking my head.

PTB, as the same height as yourself (but on a MkII), I found that the option that suited me best was to go the minimalist way and I chopped off the raised lip off the screen to bring the airflow lower.

Reduced the buffeting and noise, but then exposed me to catching weather (and by weather I mean wind, rain, and stock truck effluent) at shoulder level. Pros and cons either way, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users