has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:20 pm

sunny greetings from dusty Kandahar.

hot (40-45deg celsius) and dry as a bone 5-15% humidity
food is very good, accomodations are great (aircon @ work & room), the gym is brilliant

bit surreal with all the 'normal life' things going on around here.
people in civvies shopping ... with a M16 on their back
folks in civies lining up at the Burger King, Pizza hut or Subway ... with that M16 on their back
first evening i got here i watched a ball hockey game on a real hockey pitch ...

Attached Files

I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#2 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:35 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Fri 14th Aug 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sunny greetings from dusty Kandahar.

Good to hear from you and that you've settled in, I take it you didn't pack many sweaters, or will it turn colder in the next few months.

Look forward to more pics from our "Far Eastern correspondent".

Keep well tongue.gif
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:42 pm

Ha nice wan. Glad yar ok. Run out of caches yet?

I guess your job is a bit loike Poula Fisch from The Fast Show.

"SCORCHIO"

Bo000op
dapleb
p.s. I knew those hummers were well equiped...but is that a "glory hole" ?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:53 pm

Oh yeah it will turn cooler, it will be in the lower 20C by november dry.gif but ill be back home early september if all goes well, I got here halfway a normal rotation.

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 14th Aug 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-//-
I guess your job is a bit loike Poula Fisch from The Fast Show.
"SCORCHIO"
-//-
LOL aye
i actually did that during some of my first briefing when we hit 45C for a couple of days laugh.gif
the brits laughed rotflmmfao.gif the other nations didnt have a clue.

For me the life and work is ok here, I actually have it pretty good compared to many others here and especially out there.
Just the 10 minute walk to the laundry and you can feel the sweat rolling off your back, your feet are burning
and I'm wearing just BDUs and carrying a laundry bag walking on a paved road rather then a stoney and dusty path packed with helmet, rifle, body armour, daypack ... nope I wont complain, nobody shooting at me, I got it good.
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

get them here

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:30 pm

lol 'el scorchio' laugh.gif

ello G, good to hear you are making the most of it out there

stay safe, look after yourself
hope E is doing ok, looking after the fokkiepies all by herself

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:35 am

Mr G. Great to hear from you. I would be really interested in anything you have to say about how things are out there. Stay safe.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#7 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:50 am

Hey Guinness,

Glad to hear you arrived ok,

Look after yourself and keep your head down.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:15 am

QUOTE(Guinness @ Fri 14th Aug 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i actually did that during some of my first briefing when we hit 45C for a couple of days laugh.gif

If you gots a projector you could just put this on loop and come home early. tongue.gif

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:43 am

noice MKIIa, i assumed ye'd swiped moine till i noticed yours was deviod of gravel rash wub.gif rotflmmfao.gif Do they serve the 'black stuff' out there Did-he-eh' ???? Take care of yerself and make sure ya change yer underclappers once a day every day excl.gif WiCkLa.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:49 am

Stay safe man.

Stu

#11 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:48 am

max temperatures hovering just below the 40C mark ... getting cooler ... LOL
cant see the mountains for the dust, its one of those days.

countdown to return has begun ... my half tour is coming to an end. just one more week to go.

had my first beer yesterday ... Beck's non alcoholic ... one sip and i put it down YUK! to order a non alcoholic Jupiler ... aaahhh that reminded me of home smile.gif
not my usual brew (beggers cant be choosers) but never thought Ild enjoy a NA beer that much.
nevertheless, the chilled Chimay is waiting for me at home. JOY...

before i go home I need to get a snapshot of the pizza hut delivery guy on his mini quad... surreal

get them here

#12 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:56 am

Good to hear from you Mr G, have you got a sun tan.
NA Beer puke.gif

#13 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:13 am

hya mate
yeah, got bit of a tan going... started wearing military, desert camo shorts when im off duty ... (with the high combat boots)
The wing commander commented : "you look like a british tourist in the south of france."
these shorts are actually shorter then my civvy ones ... so there is some skin the sun hasnt seen in a LONG while.
nearly as white as the knees on the line up at the pool during the RTT smile.gif

on the safety side of it all : im very visible when walking down the dusty roads .... LOL

get them here

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:32 pm

Will be good to 'ave ya back ecumenical one. UK visit on the cards?

#15 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:23 pm

Good to hear from you - nice TDM by the way dry.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#16 Guest_Kelpie_*

Guest_Kelpie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:15 am

Best of luck out there. My son's not long back.

Love the TDM, may she keep you safe! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users