8 replies to this topic

#1 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:22 pm

Hi Guys, I just thought i'd check my charge rate a couple of weeks ago and found that after starting my bike up (ER6F) it went up to 17.4 V and revving to 3 grand it came down to 16.4 or thereabouts, I went on the Kwaki site and someone said that the reg/rec f**k up and its common so I bought one , fitted it today and it is the same although it never quite got to 17V, 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks PTB

#2 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:08 pm

Check the voltage with another multimeter.

Remember the voltage output from a reg/rec is not flat, this is a rectified sinus wave and maybe your meter gives the peak value and not the mean value (which is lower).

top_640.png

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:28 pm

ensure you have a good earth too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:12 pm

Check meter elsewhere first.Once regulated voltage is reached after start up the voltage will remain absolutely flat. Should be around 14.2 - 14.8v . The current is the only adjustment the reg makes. The more load you apply the more current will flow but the voltage will remain constant. Run the bike for half an hour then check the battery with your hand. The whole battery should be at ambient temperature.If it is your bike isn't overcharging. Check the whole battery case surface in case you have one cell failing, it will be warmer. Check all gen / reg / battery / earth connections. Don't just look at them and pull to check for tightness. Take them off and check for corrosion twixt connection and terminal. If all the output from the gen isn't reaching the battery efficiently the reg will operate at its open circuit voltage which is around the reading you have. Tickle the revs up when testing. The system will not reach regulated voltage if you load it up at tick over.hth.

Edited by Apache, 28 January 2017 - 01:21 pm.

#5 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:05 pm

You are all so good and as always very knowledgeable with your replies, many thanks to you all , like I've said before this is THE BEST forum I have been on and a lot of people help just for the sake of it, to me that is priceless, Thanks again Buck

#6 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:12 pm

Buck. Sorry I'm late.
The regulator/rectifier is in the dumbest place possible on a bike. In front of the rear wheel. Check th multi pin connector for corrosion (It's easier if you can remove the shock) mine was packed with waterproof grease from new.

#7 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:37 pm

Hi Tin Tin, not a problem buddy, I've swapped the reg/rec and the plug was fine mate, everything checks out as above so I'm sorted hopefully, yeah its a stupid place to put the ragulator, wonder if its owt to do with the cooling side of it??

Cheers  Buck

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:13 am

You are all so good and as always very knowledgeable with your replies, many thanks to you all , like I've said before this is THE BEST forum I have been on and a lot of people help just for the sake of it, to me that is priceless, Thanks again Buck

Also check the connections at the positive battery terminal. It is possible for the alternator to feed directly into the harness but where the harness +ve meets the battery a weak connection occurs with the result that the bike starts well but the battery isn't enough of a load (due to high resistance connector) for the regulator to regulate the voltage. Perhaps that's more applicable with older bikes, but poor connections at the battery on the earth as well as the positive side probably account for a large number of electrical faults

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:36 pm

Thanks fixitsan, I'll check everything in morning,

:good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users