6 replies to this topic

#1 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:02 pm

Hi all. I changed the chain and sprockets today on the ER6. I get that sort of stuff from Hunters at Westgate hill in Newcastle.(recommended) and went budget.
The sprockets are JT,s as before so no worries there but the chain is EK. Anyone heard of it. Googled the company and they have a good track record and it was them who invented the "o ring" chain. Got to be a decent product eh.
Secondly all the brake pads need replaced and Hunters do EBC Kevlar at a decent price. Anyone had experience of these?

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:40 pm

EK chains have been around for ever and are a well respected brand, never heard anything bad about them.

My personal preference is DID XHD chain and Renthal sprockets as I have got over 40000 miles from that combination.

Ebc pads are excellent without a doubt but I find that they tend to eat oem discs, that said, don't forget I do 25000 miles a year. That means that if I lose my discs in 18 months then I'm annoyed but the mileage that equates to (37000 give or take) would be equivalent to six or seven years riding for most people.

To that end I have found that Carbone Lorraine XBK5 don't wear the discs as quickly but they do lack initial bite in the wet, this isn't such a bad thing though if you don't have ABS.

Edited by celticbiker, 04 February 2017 - 04:43 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:11 am

EK chains have been around for ever and are a well respected brand, never heard anything bad about them.

My personal preference is DID XHD chain and Renthal sprockets as I have got over 40000 miles from that combination.

Ebc pads are excellent without a doubt but I find that they tend to eat oem discs, that said, don't forget I do 25000 miles a year. That means that if I lose my discs in 18 months then I'm annoyed but the mileage that equates to (37000 give or take) would be equivalent to six or seven years riding for most people.

To that end I have found that Carbone Lorraine XBK5 don't wear the discs as quickly but they do lack initial bite in the wet, this isn't such a bad thing though if you don't have ABS.

Where do you source those pads CB

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#4 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:46 am

I get them from eBay.
I'll just grab the link for you.

Edit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361530280562

Edited by celticbiker, 05 February 2017 - 09:53 am.

#5 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:17 pm

Wow they're on the pricey side...but knowing the mileage you do they've gotta be up to scratch

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#6 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:00 pm

Yeh, they aren't cheap for sure but they do last well, I used to use Goldfren, and they are good, but i would get through 2-3 sets/year.

The Carbone Lorraine ones are still over half full and have been on for a year already.

#7 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:42 pm

They are almost double the price of the EBC ones & I'm on a really tight budget bikewise at the mo so i will go EBC for now.

Bought me tickets for my Canadian filght  and spent £47 for an electronic visa that costs £7.50 cos i used the wrong website :istupid: 

Muddy sump the mobile Triumph dude is doing the 12K service in 4 weeks as well so if I have to sell it its got that stamp in the book.

By the by his stamp carries more weight than a dealer one in Tigger circles. Then if my some remote chance I can keep it I know what to do next time :wifgeni: 

Aren't bikes like money sponges. :sorry: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users