• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cclivve

Cclivve

sticking around

• 27 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:37 am

To aid visibility during day time it seem prudent to fit some auxiliary LED running lights. I don't do much night riding if at all so it's prime purpose is to be seen on the road. There seem to be plenty of cheap lights from China are they good enough for the intended purpose ? Be interested to know members thoughts and recommendations.
This is the bike.

Attached Files

#2 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:52 am

Watching this thread  :)

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:44 am

most of them are more than adequate in my experience. Some of them don't have the best waterproofing but that's easily fixed by adding some silicon sealant.
It's a good idea to have them on a switch so you can turn them off or dim them at night if they're very bright

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:10 am

most of them are more than adequate in my experience. Some of them don't have the best waterproofing but that's easily fixed by adding some silicon sealant.
It's a good idea to have them on a switch so you can turn them off or dim them at night if they're very bright

I have a switch on mine but the lights have 3 settings, sometimes when i switch the lights on they are out of sync? ie one flashing other hi beam, is there a way of stopping this?

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:40 am

I don't think so. There are some videos on YouTube showing which I you need to short out on one or two types of lamps but there are so many variants. You might be lucky and find one like yours on Google. It's a daft system they employ.

Some lamps with the same programs have 3 wires and you select your preference by touching the third wire to the +very supply wire.

#6 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:27 pm

The 3 mode lights can be synched by disconnecting one and cycling the other until they match. I had the same problem - no matter how long you leave them off, they remember what the next 'mode' is Hi, Low, Strobe.

#7 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:35 pm

My 3 setting lights always synch.  The memory is only as long as the capacitor power to the chip.  Both run through one switch taking the power from the back of the dip beam.  Position 1 is day, 2 is night and 3 is rapid flash.  If I park-up or stop for fuel the memory is lost and they start on bright.  If you stall or engage the clutch with the side stand down, they will start on the next setting along when you quickly restart.

They are available with only one setting.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#8 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:52 pm

Safego from amazon is a popular choice. Quality for price is good and simple one setting. I'd put a link up but PITA on the phone!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#9 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:35 pm

Safego from amazon is a popular choice. Quality for price is good and simple one setting. I'd put a link up but PITA on the phone!!

These?

https://www.ebay.co...._from=R40&rt=nc

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:12 pm

Depends on budget I guess Cclivve. Bikevis are expensive and some reports of failures on here but I've had mine on for two years and they've seen some serious rain and are still good....

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:38 pm

These?

https://www.ebay.co...._from=R40&rt=nc

Yuup those. Brackets are a bit mickey mouse but for price / performance I'm happy.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#12 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:42 pm

do you think it could be the switch as the one i have on has 3 wires 1 live each for the lights , i have another switch which only has 2 wires so the live from the spots will go on the same live on the switch?

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:52 pm

do you think it could be the switch as the one i have on has 3 wires 1 live each for the lights , i have another switch which only has 2 wires so the live from the spots will go on the same live on the switch?

It's better but unless the original switch was faulty I don't think it should matter

#14 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:36 pm

Ive been looking at theses https://www.ebay.co....efff768b5|iid:1

#15 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:45 am

This is what I done to mine when I had my 900 and it worked a treat..

https://youtu.be/KQIRV1y-Q6E

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#16 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:37 am

This is what I done to mine when I had my 900 and it worked a treat..

https://youtu.be/KQIRV1y-Q6E

Did this to mine a while ago but then they stopped working after a week

#17 Cclivve

Cclivve

sticking around

• 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:20 am

I bought some cheap Chinese,,will let you know how they go in due course.

#18 peloponezian

peloponezian

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:25 pm

To aid visibility during day time it seem prudent to fit some auxiliary LED running lights. I don't do much night riding if at all so it's prime purpose is to be seen on the road. There seem to be plenty of cheap lights from China are they good enough for the intended purpose ? Be interested to know members thoughts and recommendations.
This is the bike.

I use a made by "Ring" light called an Aurora dlr they come as a pair and have the auto switch unit, if needed.  You will not be disappointed with the brightness, Imagine the brightest DLR you've seen on todays cars, Merc, Audis? this knocks 'em into a cocked hat IMHO. 5 x 1.5w that make your 110 main beam look like a 5w standard side light.  I have mounted mine beneath the Headlamp which i have now relayed to be off during the day because its a waste of time next to this. . I have them on a couple of bikes as they come as a pair not cheap at £70 per pair  ish but worth every penny.  Downside is they are so bright you don't want to be using them on full power at night, way too much. I have an LED controller wired in so I can knock it down if needed at night.

Been using them for 5 years no issues at all, fully waterproof and they look like the y belong if you mount them right, a quality lamp

Edited by peloponezian, 02 August 2018 - 10:26 pm.

#19 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:21 am

I use a made by "Ring" light called an Aurora dlr they come as a pair and have the auto switch unit, if needed.  You will not be disappointed with the brightness, Imagine the brightest DLR you've seen on todays cars, Merc, Audis? this knocks 'em into a cocked hat IMHO. 5 x 1.5w that make your 110 main beam look like a 5w standard side light.  I have mounted mine beneath the Headlamp which i have now relayed to be off during the day because its a waste of time next to this. . I have them on a couple of bikes as they come as a pair not cheap at £70 per pair  ish but worth every penny.  Downside is they are so bright you don't want to be using them on full power at night, way too much. I have an LED controller wired in so I can knock it down if needed at night.

Been using them for 5 years no issues at all, fully waterproof and they look like the y belong if you mount them right, a quality lamp

These?: https://www.hids4u.c...ra-BRL0397.html

Edited by TDM4ever, 03 August 2018 - 11:23 am.

#20 peloponezian

peloponezian

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:18 pm

Yes they're the ones at a good price too... sorry cant seem to upload a piccie of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users