#1 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:40 pm

As the title says. - Thursday 23/3

http://www.aldi.co.uk/ and click on the Hedge Trimmer. I know it sounds daft......

I don't own any of this gear so I can't comment on quality.
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#2 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:20 pm

Cavey,

lidl are doing the same things

http://www.lidl.co.u....20060320.index

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:56 pm

I bought a set of Lidl's maps last time they did this and I'd recommend them to anyone. They're a pack of 12 double sided waterproof maps covering the whole of the UK and Ireland. However the Aldi ones look to be pretty much the same for a fraction of the price.

Are Kidney belts worth it? I do sometimes get a bit chilly round the lower back.

Edited by ChrisG, 17 March 2006 - 07:58 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:38 pm

I got the tank-bag from lidl and it's great, really handy and a helluva lot cheaper than oxford or such like. biggrin.gif

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:46 pm

OMG!!! Baby Bodies? Dead kittens too?
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 Tempest

Tempest

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:12 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Fri 17th Mar 2006, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the tank-bag from lidl and it's great, really handy and a helluva lot cheaper than oxford or such like. biggrin.gif

I have just bought yesterday a fair bit of the Lidl stuff smile.gif

I looked at the tank bag, but was worried about 3 things:

1: Could it mark the paintwork over time?

2: Is puttint more weight high up on a TDM a good idea as they are already very top heavy.

3: Would they stay on safe enough at high speed?
Oink & Be Happy.

#7 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:25 pm

QUOTE(Tempest @ Thu 23rd Mar 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just bought yesterday a fair bit of the Lidl stuff smile.gif

2: Is puttint more weight high up on a TDM a good idea as they are already very top heavy.

1: I put a small towel under it to save the paint

2: I've never filled it with heavy stuff, though it's better to have weight there than in a top box

3: So far so good, it hasn't moved so far

It also has a little pocket to keep wipes for your visor, really clever, so clever I didn't figure it out until my girlfriend noticed it.

The only problem I have is at slow speed(in town) turns it can hit the indicator switch, only when it's expanded to it's full size though

#8 Buzz

Buzz

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:42 pm

Bought some lidl socks yesterday they are fine and look the dogs danglies, don't claim to be waterproof on the outer but the spec suggests they may be. Checked out Aldi stuff today and it all looks pants except the kidney belt (2.99) that looks good, bought one and the missus loves it. wub.gif No protection in the event of a spill but good potential as a neoprene warmer. Didn't buy the Lidl maps the other day as the Aldi ones were advertised cheaper. The Lidl maps are waterproof and as posted earlier, and look good value, Aldi maps paper, not waterproof, and not worth the paper they are written on. Buying Lidl maps tomorrow
NOSTALGIA IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:36 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 23rd Mar 2006, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1: I put a small towel under it to save the paint

2: I've never filled it with heavy stuff, though it's better to have weight there than in a top box

3: So far so good, it hasn't moved so far

It also has a little pocket to keep wipes for your visor, really clever, so clever I didn't figure it out until my girlfriend noticed it.

The only problem I have is at slow speed(in town) turns it can hit the indicator switch, only when it's expanded to it's full size though

I bought one of their tank bags in last year's sale....only £6.99 then. Used it well on the Croatia trip with Dapleb but too much strain on the rucksack strap and it began to tear. Also lost the waterproof cover in a high speed blast in France, probably in America by now mellow.gif
Got home, neatly cut off the remaining strap and put it on Ebay........last minute deluge of bids and got £34 for the fecker biggrin.gif
It went to a guy in London who wanted it to ferry his Jack Russell terrier around town on his Ducati..........if anything was dodgy about the bag it was the weak magnets............visions of Jack exiting left on the first corner rotflmmfao.gif ......................He left me good feedback though rolleyes.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:23 am

2: yeah, frock it. The worst place for weight is at the back, on a rack, yet this is where we all tend to put it. If you can keep the weight between the spindles, like in a tankbag, that's good.

3: I load mine quite heavy and don't have trouble as long as I keep it back towards me so the magnets get plenty of tank and not so much mkII fairing.

These are generic answers, I don't have a Lidl bag.

#11 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:35 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 24th Mar 2006, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought one of their tank bags in last year's sale....only £6.99 then. Used it well on the Croatia trip with Dapleb but too much strain on the rucksack strap and it began to tear. Also lost the waterproof cover in a high speed blast in France, probably in America by now mellow.gif
Got home, neatly cut off the remaining strap and put it on Ebay........last minute deluge of bids and got £34 for the fecker biggrin.gif
It went to a guy in London who wanted it to ferry his Jack Russell terrier around town on his Ducati..........if anything was dodgy about the bag it was the weak magnets............visions of Jack exiting left on the first corner rotflmmfao.gif ......................He left me good feedback though rolleyes.gif

Jaysus, you're definitely a scotsman biggrin.gif

#12 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:48 pm

Go to B&Q to the Laminate aisle and you should find Duck anti slip stuff for under rugs etc its about £5 for a 1.5m roll. (Unlike Motorax £9.99 for a tiny bit) You even get a choice of dark grey, blue or white.
Not only does it stop tank bags and trow overs scratching it holds them in place.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#13 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:28 pm

WE (ETJ & ReJEcT) went to Aldi yesterday and bought boots £25 (for ReJEcT), Kidney Belt (for me...£2.99 so I thought I'd try it...yet to comment), Chain lock and two bike cover (for ETJ), Lids looked a bit suss IMHO

No Lidl around this area so no choice.

Boots looked okay for the money but the front panel looks like plastic to me, but still loads better than trainers and the like.

Kidney belt yet to try

Maps I looked at but not that easy to read so ddn't buy.

Chain lock bloody heavy, and its only for his bicycles so should be fine.

Bike cover okay...for covering bikes...

#14 sumsmeister

sumsmeister

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:53 pm

I bought the tank-bag, seems ok at present, but time will tell...and I'm already thinking of putting a large hole in the base-plate to make fuel-stops easier... I already have a double-decker tank-bag which usually contains the tent with the top stuffed with other soft stuff. On the VFR it was possible to hide behind the bloody thing with my chin on the top, couldn't see the dash at all. Just getting there safely was the aim...
The maps may end up in the club raffle as they are a little small on detail.

Edited by sumsmeister, 26 March 2006 - 08:55 pm.

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:11 pm

i bought a few bits from lidl on friday, 2 sets of maps, chain, rider/pillion radio and a spare jacket.
all seems a bit cheaply made, but i paid bugger all for what i got.

going for a wander over to aldi tomorrow....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#16 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:30 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Sun 26th Mar 2006, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i bought a few bits from lidl on friday, 2 sets of maps, chain, rider/pillion radio and a spare jacket.
all seems a bit cheaply made, but i paid bugger all for what i got.

going for a wander over to aldi tomorrow....

What's the radio like Tony, might try it. wink.gif

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:46 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Mon 27th Mar 2006, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the radio like Tony, might try it. wink.gif

Excellent if you keep below 50 kph blink.gif (small print in the bumf).......I also sold that on evilbay (for a small profit wink.gif )

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:09 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 27th Mar 2006, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent if you keep below 50 kph blink.gif (small print in the bumf).......I also sold that on evilbay (for a small profit wink.gif )

surprise, surprise.......... rotflmmfao.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:27 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 27th Mar 2006, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's like that show cash in the attic, selling all your junk for a load a money.
It's feckin brilliant biggrin.gif
I hope the person you sold em to isn't reading this unsure.gif

#20 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:26 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Mon 27th Mar 2006, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like that show cash in the attic, selling all your junk for a load a money.
It's feckin brilliant biggrin.gif

Ripped my whole CD collection to KAIPOD and ebayed the CDs. Got well over 600 quid. Started going to Fopp Records (Leamington) and buying whatever I wanted, ripping it, then Ebaying straight away. I was getting most money back so the music was costing me a max of 2 - 3 quid an album. Some I made a profit on. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users