#81 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:53 pm

It's never happened to me before and I've had a few occasions where I'm only doing similar annual mileage.  Rear tyre has been on the bike a lot longer and it's only wear/damage is squaring off.

Tyres should also be made to be safe and durable too, surely.  There must be millions of bikes that don't get their tyres used over winter.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#82 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:10 pm

I have been doing pathetic miles for a number of years never had any probs. Mayhaps storing on abba makes a difference.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#83 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:42 am

Had a mate who bought a big Merc Camper van. He took it out to go away in it shortly before he sold it a 2 of his tyres exploded. The treads pulled off in a long strip. It seems common amongst people with campers apparently. Made a right mess of one of his wheel Wells.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#84 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:06 am

Had a mate who bought a big Merc Camper van. He took it out to go away in it shortly before he sold it a 2 of his tyres exploded. The treads pulled off in a long strip. It seems common amongst people with campers apparently. Made a right mess of one of his wheel Wells.

The problem with camper vans and trailers is the lack of annual mileage giving old tyres. I mean, who changes tyres before they're worn out or blow up ? (Part from me - I'm a fresh-rubber-nazi) 

Bjørge

#85 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:02 am

The problem with camper vans and trailers is the lack of annual mileage giving old tyres. I mean, who changes tyres before they're worn out or blow up ? (Part from me - I'm a fresh-rubber-nazi) 

Got to admit I only change tyres wen they're worn out. My wife's old car had cracks in the tyres. Came back to bite me when one let go 70 miles from home and the spare was flat......

#86 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:47 pm

SRs tyre was about 2 years old...that is most definitely within the lifespan that can be reasonably expected of a tyre....so it's not fit for purpose is it?

At that point it doesn't matter how things "work" in the tyre industry ...they decided to enter into the world of selling goods and are bound by the rules as is anyone else.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#87 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:32 pm

Not a good advert for M&P, or Avon.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#88 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:38 am

A lot of motorhome/camper drivers don't fit "C" type Camper tyres (something a 900 rider might appreciate :pimp:)  which are supposed to be more suitable for long periods of lay up

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#89 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:50 am

Had a similar thing with Kwikfit a good few years back. I was doing a lot of local mileage so bought a new tyre with free repair or replacement warranty. I got a bad puncture after about 2 weeks. Told me I'd used the tyre so only eligible for 75% back. I reminded them it was a replacement warranty but got no-where. Never bought from them again - thieving bassads.....

So the warranty only applies if you don't use the tyre?  No repeat business there.

#90 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:08 pm

Okeedokee, Avon have offered me a refund of 85% of the purchase price as a goodwill jesture.  No comment on why or how the splits happened and no assumption of responsibility.  Also no offer for the cost of returning the tyre.

I've accepted the refund but I've also commented on my disappointment in having to bear the cost of returning the tyre when it was them who told me to return it.

Jeez Studley, you must be the unluckiest bloke ever with tyres.....having read the thread I've just super checked mine and all is well....my third set....I'll probably stick with them because XM name is valid...averaging 11k on rears....something weird with your bad one

#91 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:18 pm

I've read on here of someone who got a side puncture after less than 200 miles on a new tyre, so deffo not the unluckiest in that regard.  But yeah, musta got a dud wan.  I'll be looking for a new rear tyre soon, god knows which one I'll go for.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#92 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:19 pm

You were unlucky in Spain as well Studs, puncture from barbed wire if i recall matey..

Had a new Pirelli a couple of years ago and less than 100 miles had a double puncture from what looked like an industrial sized staple which my tyre man was reluctant to bodge fix, better safe than sorry but boy how annoying..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#93 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:21 am

Anyone else  noticed how the price of tyres has gone up?

#94 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:01 am

Got a reply though......

Good Afternoon Mr Racki

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyre with your enquiry below. We have reviewed the picture submitted and our observation of this picture is that the condition observed looks superficial in nature. Without having the tyre at the Factory for examination a specific determination as to whether the condition observed represents a safety concern cannot be made.

We would advise that you contact your tyre seller or a tyre seller/ trader in your area who can advise you.

Under consumer law your contract of sale lies with your tire supplier and you need to allow them the opportunity to handle this matter under the tire industries complaint procedure with which they should be able to explain to you. In essence they need to return the tires to us via their sales chain so that after examination we are able, if deemed necessary, to fully or partially reimburse you via this sales chain. This is standard industry procedure for trade only manufacturers like ourselves.

Please rest assured that once contacted by your supplying tyre trader, this situation will receive our immediate attention

Ladrick
Technical Service Team
customercare@coopertire

sorry re reading the post but this is wrong i think you will find that the company you bought from ie M&P are who you have the contract with in consumer law its up to them to sort out problems with the manufacturer you have no connection to Avon other than having their product 

#95 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:12 am

Anyone else  noticed how the price of tyres has gone up?

I just paid £90 for an Angel GT 160 60 17, which i think is reasonable

But generally i don't see much point in buying the most up to date tyres, when the tyres fitted to  older superbikes and performance tourers 5-15 years ago as standard, are perfectly acceptable still, and are often lower priced these days.

Pilot Power/ Power 2CT, Pilot Road 3 .  

I've seen pairs of Pilot Power in sizes to suit my 17" front wheel 9'er, for £135.

Pilot Road 3 (best allrounder for me so far), Standard 9'er sizes, £185/pair  https://www.ebay.co....EMAAOSw7AxgQJ9I

Demon Tweaks are doing Power 2CT rear tyres (160/60/17), which I pushed right up to the edge happily thanks to the extra sticky edge rubber, for £95 https://www.demon-tw...f9&gclsrc=3p.ds

I buy ahead of time too, I'm signed up to a few resellers email lists  (M&P, Demon Tweaks etc ....voluntary spam), and for example M&P sold  pairs of Pilot Road 3's on offer for £175 in 2019. I bought some and fitted to my KTM, which also has the same tyre sizes as my TDM :)

The Mk1 tyre sizes might be a bit too funky for pairs deals, but there's still some high end 'older technology' available. If you're not doing the TT, then 5 year old technology is probably just fine....that's how I look at it !

Edited by fixitsan, 05 March 2021 - 10:20 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#96 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:13 pm

You were unlucky in Spain as well Studs, puncture from barbed wire if i recall matey..

Had a new Pirelli a couple of years ago and less than 100 miles had a double puncture from what looked like an industrial sized staple which my tyre man was reluctant to bodge fix, better safe than sorry but boy how annoying..

I remember it well. :lol:  Continental rear and got a double puncture from a small length of barbed wire.  Double plug repair and it was fine for the 2000 miles I did on it afterwards.

I might go for a BT023 for the rear as that's what I fitted to replace the front.

#97 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:02 pm

Yup i like BT range, replaced my 023 for the T30 evo, nice stiff sidewalls for me fat arse  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#98 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:20 am

I was buying Bridgestone 023's  last year for £126 pair del, 

now as much as £172 pair, Ive been using them for 10 years they are not a latest tyre by far :dunno:

(must add not TDM sizes though)

I just paid £90 for an Angel GT 160 60 17, which i think is reasonable

But generally i don't see much point in buying the most up to date tyres, when the tyres fitted to  older superbikes and performance tourers 5-15 years ago as standard, are perfectly acceptable still, and are often lower priced these days.

Pilot Power/ Power 2CT, Pilot Road 3 .  

I've seen pairs of Pilot Power in sizes to suit my 17" front wheel 9'er, for £135.

Pilot Road 3 (best allrounder for me so far), Standard 9'er sizes, £185/pair  https://www.ebay.co....EMAAOSw7AxgQJ9I

Demon Tweaks are doing Power 2CT rear tyres (160/60/17), which I pushed right up to the edge happily thanks to the extra sticky edge rubber, for £95 https://www.demon-tw...f9&gclsrc=3p.ds

I buy ahead of time too, I'm signed up to a few resellers email lists  (M&P, Demon Tweaks etc ....voluntary spam), and for example M&P sold  pairs of Pilot Road 3's on offer for £175 in 2019. I bought some and fitted to my KTM, which also has the same tyre sizes as my TDM :)

The Mk1 tyre sizes might be a bit too funky for pairs deals, but there's still some high end 'older technology' available. If you're not doing the TT, then 5 year old technology is probably just fine....that's how I look at it !

Edited by ramo, 06 March 2021 - 09:22 am.

#99 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:27 am

I was buying Bridgestone 023's  last year for £126 pair del, 

now as much as £172 pair, Ive been using them for 10 years they are not a latest tyre by far :dunno:

(must add not TDM sizes though)

Yes that's curious !

Are they made in the UK ? I wonder if it's a Brexit issue, but if it was then all the others would be rising in price too ?

Also there hasn't been much riding getting done, so all the stock on the shelf not making profit needs to pay for itself. And I wonder if the previous low price was due to a discount to the vendors for higher volume sales, which are now at a lower level

Edited by fixitsan, 06 March 2021 - 10:37 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#100 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:28 am

fixitsan

I spoke to "sticky stuff" tyre shop, sells on ebay as well,

he did tell me importing them is an issue at the moment, and he cannot guarantee when new stock will arrive due to issues importing,

I have dealt with him a few times and seems a genuine type,

but I have noticed that even some of the bike gear suppliers ebay and on the net, say unable to deliver to the UK, when you go to checkout.

also when buying any goods from Europe there's vat and handling charges on imports now if value is more than £135, 

so I'm told

not so cheap buying from EU anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users