152 replies to this topic

#141 magneto

magneto

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:40 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 25th Jan 2011, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Liked your post, and your gonna fit in well here....ya weirdo.

Thank you - I'm touched....

#142 thunderdrum

thunderdrum

sticking around

• 26 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:51 pm

my mk2 has 51000 on the clock and its on its second set of chain nd sprockets from its original definitely worth £70 but has anyone used chainsaw chain oil in one as a tree surgeon I have quite a lot of it  ,  it has the same  anti~ fling properties and is of the same consistencey any thoughts

#143 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:14 pm

No personal experience, but it's been used by others on here...however I don't recall if they were delivering via a Scottoiler

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#144 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:58 pm

Sure Wicky uses it also and he happens to do the same job.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#145 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:10 pm

my mk2 has 51000 on the clock and its on its second set of chain nd sprockets from its original definitely worth £70 but has anyone used chainsaw chain oil in one as a tree surgeon I have quite a lot of it  ,  it has the same  anti~ fling properties and is of the same consistencey any thoughts

Yes, chainsaw oil is perfect for the Scottoiler due to it's anti fling properties. I got 30+k out of my last chain and sprockets and only used chainsaw oil.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#146 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:40 pm

According to Scottoiler their oil is low tack. It is designed to work itself into the chain and 'flush' out dust and dirt rather than creating an grinding paste. Everybody riding behind me can vouch for that. (Yes, I should turn it down but my chain looks lovely!)
Chainsaw oil does the opposite. I don't deny its working for you, Muddy. It just shouldn't.

#147 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:55 am

According to Scottoiler their oil is low tack. It is designed to work itself into the chain and 'flush' out dust and dirt rather than creating an grinding paste. Everybody riding behind me can vouch for that. (Yes, I should turn it down but my chain looks lovely!)
Chainsaw oil does the opposite. I don't deny its working for you, Muddy. It just shouldn't.

OK, calling it perfect was a bad choice of words. It's ideal if you want a cheap alternative. And there are lots of riders who use it to good effect, which is why I started using it. I tend to use the n=1 positives (anecdotal evidence) as an indicator if something works or not and chainsaw oil works, even if it isn't perfect.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#148 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:41 am

@Muppdog
I'm glad you brought up the point about tackiness, it rung a bell and made me think. I got given some CS oil by a friend who's a landscaper and it has not worked so well as the stuff I bought previously. It does tend to be overly sticky. So I looked up if others have this problem and the do. It seems there are certain, usually semi synth, oils that have better properties, so not all CS oils are the same. My mates stuff is too gluey, so I'll be chucking it and getting some Stihl semi

#149 AdamTDM

AdamTDM

sticking around

• 32 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 December 2022 - 08:51 pm

Just a quick update to this thread, there is now a new Scottoiler The Scottoiler xSystem it’s a electrical oiler that auto turns on / off I have had one fitted for the last 1000 miles and have to say it’s a revelation.

check it out so easy to fit.

Adam

Yellow 2002 900

#150 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:36 pm

I fitted one of those to my Tenere nearly 3 years ago. Worked fine with the pouchy reservoir for touring. Wasn't easy to fit as quite chunky. Disintegrated after 2 years. Not sure if it was material failure or some hard riding off road that caused it. Gone back to the original Scotoiler as on all my bikes. Gravity is a beautiful thing.

#151 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:30 am

I have one of the "lube tube" things in my shed unused if anyone needs one, it's basically an extension tank to the regular scottoiler.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#152 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:29 am

My brian removes the word electrical and replaces with the word unreliable. Sounds loike it is working good for you though Adam. ♪┌|∵|┘♪
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#153 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 December 2022 - 08:48 pm

I opted for a Loobman oiler when I got the TDM. I had the basic Scottoiler on my Dominator and worked ok but I had to de-clog it a few times. I haven had to touch the very Heath-Robinson Loobman yet in 7 years except for feeding through the cable-tie oil feeder about once a year. I like simple things, hence the 3vd 😆. I use cheap engine oil in the winter and EP 90 in the summer, works a treat.

Edited by Pedro, 28 December 2022 - 08:50 pm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users