#1 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:25 pm

So it's been about 2 months since the TDM took second place behind the S10.

I have to say that I really do miss riding the TDM.  I still see her daily as she's at the top of the garden pending decisions on what to do with her.

The S10 is a great bike, but the TDM just has more "something" when riding, somehow more engaging.  That said the S10 eats miles like we eat Cake!

The S10 got a Trekker top box, and recently a Delkevic pipe, which I'm sure is just the start.  Already looking at screens, seat options and cosmetics.  Plus I have Fixitsan's DRL controller to fit.

The biggest question is what to do with the TDM.

SWMBO is starting to nag about moving it on, the money would benefit the "house moving pot", but whats she worth really (bike not SWMBO).  With 80K+ on the clock, and a fairly hard life behind her (daily commuter work-horse), plus the immediate need for C&S and a front tyre, it's not an easy sale.

I'm tempted to keep her, and fettle her back to road-worthy-ness, but I don't really have the time or space. 

I have a feeling that a low start ebay auction may be the final resting place for her...but we shall see.

I'll post up a few photos and a list of the bits, just in case anyone on here is interested in a cheap project.  She can't be driven on the road now, so would mean a van/trailer collection.

Attached File  IMG_1127.JPG   198.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0853.jpg   165.05KB   0 downloads

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:32 pm

That S10 looks great in white. I suppose it doesn't hustle down the lanes like the TDM. I was on the verge of letting my TDM go and buying a Vstrom, then hesitancy got the better of me and the buyer at the same time, so I decided to change the fork oil (first time, why oh why I didn't do it earlier), open up the airway a bit and get myself a cruise control thingy. The bike is now brakes better, handles better and I can give my tired wrist a rest. 

Pity we didn't have a place to store a few high mileage TDMs though.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:39 pm

Have to say that the bar/grips on the S10 are well comfy.

The rack on them is very natural.  They could be 25mm higher, but I only notice that if I'm standing on the pegs.

I always fit "grip puppies" since Cats introduced me to them, as I find normal grips too narrow, and give me cramp after 50+ miles in the saddle, they make for a very natural hand position on the bars

We need a TDM Graveyard like in Nervada
BONEYARD_05.jpg

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#4 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:13 pm

That S10 looks great in white. I suppose it doesn't hustle down the lanes like the TDM. I was on the verge of letting my TDM go and buying a Vstrom, then hesitancy got the better of me and the buyer at the same time, so I decided to change the fork oil (first time, why oh why I didn't do it earlier), open up the airway a bit and get myself a cruise control thingy. The bike is now brakes better, handles better and I can give my tired wrist a rest. 

Pity we didn't have a place to store a few high mileage TDMs though.

Cruise control? Do tell more...

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#5 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:17 pm

Probably one of these:
http://www.oxfordpro...hrottle_assist/

1542-of378--.jpg

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:42 am

Probably one of these:
http://www.oxfordpro...hrottle_assist/
1542-of378--.jpg

Nope. Didn't get on with those. This:
https://m.ebay.co.uk...XAAAOSwR29ZDPaE
Hands free, works great.

Edited by muddy, 27 May 2018 - 07:00 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:26 am

I've got wanna them, you can fit a tiewrap around the groovy bits to help it maintain tension on the throttle grip.  Also helps in stopping someone nicking it. :)  Deffo less faffing about than the palm rest one, once you get used to it.

Nice looking bike Adam. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:18 pm

Got em both - use em both too. They have their pros n cons and take turns at p ing me off at times.

Got the palm type from Banggood for 99p a long time back and the other from ebay 3 or 4 years ago

Still like to have them both fitted.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:19 pm

So how does it work then...do you just adjust with finger when needed...seems like it would be a bit of a faff (having said that - I thought D ring helmet straps would be a faff before I used them)

Nice looking bike Adam. :good:

Tanks

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:28 pm

So how does it work then...do you just adjust with finger when needed...seems like it would be a bit of a faff (having said that - I thought D ring helmet straps would be a faff before I used them)

Tanks

It's really very simple. Slip the lever over the grip and push it as far up against the stop as it'll go. Slip a rubber band into the grooves and get it tightish and let it rest just above the brake lever. To operate, let's say you're cruising at 70 mph, you just extend a finger and push the lever to rest on the brake lever. That's it. Scratch you nose or wave at the cagers. It will move with up as you throttle off or you can flick it off. It doesn't hold that tight, just tight enough.

#11 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:25 pm

Nope. Didn't get on with those. This:
https://m.ebay.co.uk...XAAAOSwR29ZDPaE
Hands free, works great.

Ah yes, Ive seen those clamp type things, more of a friction throttle lock than a cruise control. Presumably they dont get in the way then? Just looks a bit awkward, but with rubber band pressure holding it in place, I guess its very easy to roll off the throttle which is the important thing.

Edited by Jim, 31 May 2018 - 01:36 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:07 pm

It can clip handguards, depending on which wans you have, apart from that, they don't get in the way at all. The beauty of it is you can let go of the throttle and give your hand a shake/rest.

You can get different length wans.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users