27 replies to this topic

#1 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:02 pm

Just watched the news & waited for the April fool at the end.

We're going all electric on an unfinished project, come on.

The wally on the telly says we need charging points at offices & supermarkets etc. Don't think he realises how long it takes to charge these things. The forecourts have hundreds pass through every hour.

He should watch the Top Gear episode on the Nissan Leaf or something similar. While it was charging Clarkson & May went fishing, took in a museum, Had lunch & got tattoos :lol: . Going from Carlisle to London will take days

This is gonna be interesting

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:03 pm

Might be quicker on pedal power Sam.....get training.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:23 pm

So what happens to the peeps who can't afford a new lectric car.  These goodygoody ferkin' pressure groups don't give a fook about peeps with little or no money.  There's also the problem of generating another 50% of renewable lectrickery to power the cars.  And no mention of planes, trains and lorries.  I reckon it's that conservative tw*t Gove who's coming up with these stoopid ideas, like he did with leaving the EU.

Anyhoos, I'll be in my mid 70's so don't really give a damn. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:46 pm

Interesting proposition indeed. UK, Norway, France, all imposing the same sweeping ban. It's a shame non of these countries are leading the charge, heh, in developing battery technology. Not well thought out IMHO.

No mention of bikes yet, though....

I recently read that Toyota are developing solid state battery tech which will allow very fast charging with the ohm of being on the road in 2020.

I'm with Studley, it will have limited impact on me,+ I live in a country with a lot of nothing between but hilly, twisty roads between towns so I doubt NZ will be an early adopter.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#5 tomekc

tomekc

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:46 pm

All bullshit guys, oil lobby will not give up that easy, but of course electric cars expansion will continue...................

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:50 pm

They're talking about stopping sale of them in 2040, that's 23 years time.  In 1994 average petrol price was 48.9p, now it's about 110, an increase of 125%, if that continues it'll be about £2.50/litre by 2040 and nobody will be able to afford to run petrol cars anyway.  :rolleyes:

The people that won't be able to afford a new electric car won't be able to afford new petrol cars either so that's not really an issue (plan is to stop sale of new ICE cars rather than ban existing ones)

Realistically how many people actually go from Carlisle to London regularly?  Currently several EV manufacturers offer a free loan car a number of times a year for those occasions when you do need to go further, and as batteries improve the fast charging will improve, you can currently charge a Tesla to something like 90% in half an hour.

The biggest problem in my opinion is the national grid generating capacity, and the exotic metals currently used in batteries, however the latter one is likely to be fixed in the near future with a lot of new developments, for example the experimental Graphene based one with 5 times the energy density of a Lithium Ion capable of being fully charged in a few minutes. Aluminium Air batteries are a bit weird though in being a bit like a fuel cell in some ways, in that they do slowly use up the aluminium, and apparently can be recharged by adding new salt water.

Edited by ChrisG, 26 July 2017 - 06:51 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:04 pm

GOT A FRIEND WHO IS A ELECT POWER ENGINEER RECKONS WE WOULD NEED AT LEAST 20 LARGE NUCLEAR POWER STATIONS JUST TO CHARGE THEM 

sorry caps lock

#8 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:29 pm

No-one seems to have factored in the amount of energy needed to manufacture all these new vehicles, let alone the amount of energy used to dispose of the 'old vehicles' they are to replace.......

I guess they have to be seen to be active in the 'green revolution' without actually showing all the facts to support/disprove all the claims.

It'll be interesting to see how the oil producers react to this one.

#9 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:29 pm

VERY relieved to see that 2- strokes aren't included, so I'll still be able to continue to smoke out North Worcestershire on my GT380 in 2040. Mind you I'll be 90 by then so will probably have forgotten where I put it.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#10 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:39 pm

I believe it's new cars from 2040, used one's won't be affected. You can bet the oil companies will be well ahead of the game with investments in the technologies.

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:14 pm

Calm down it'll be ok................https://www.engadget...rbike-revealed/

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#12 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:37 pm

No doubt they will realise, eventually, that for 2040 this idea is utter folly - just like they told us all to buy diesel. Trouble is that they think they have to be seen to be doing something about pollution, anything! With the necessary generating capacity and the appropriate technology, per se it might make sense. We have neither. Still, I'll be 100..... am I bovvered?! It does need sorting, though.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#13 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:22 am

in the grand scheme of things cars and bikes are relatively low hanging fruit - easy to attack by politicians - and the media - but as noted plains, trains and ships (the biggest polluters) seem to be exempt - can you imagine the size of  the batteries required to electrify those huge container ships -

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#14 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:52 pm

What area of sail needed for a cargo ship?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#15 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:01 pm

How about oars plenty people going to sea with paddle boats

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:19 pm

What area of sail needed for a cargo ship?

Surprisingly little it seems, 10-15% fuel saving from a relatively small kite.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkySails

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 captainmish

captainmish

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:30 pm

There are some nice electric bikes in the pipe, I'd love to try some out. Hoping these guys get to the manufacturing stage: http://eco-motorcycles.co.uk/vigo

#18 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:35 pm

Another political pipe dream, wont be holding my breath 

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

#19 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:21 pm

If I understand well, in 2040 we will no longer see such bikes on the roads !

tumblr_nw1avrKUhq1qg2n7mo1_1280.jpg

top_640.png

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:44 am

Space for a few batteries under that bonnet. It could be a keeper.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users