ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:08 am

Another political pipe dream, wont be holding my breath 

I'm sure people said the same about emissions limits but all cars sold in the UK have been Euro6 compliant for for a couple of years now (or capable of getting thought the test at least... I've got one of those lying VAG diesels  :rolleyes: )

exhaust-emissions.png

Volvo have recently said all their cars will be electric or hybrid by 2020, most other major manufacturers are heading the same way, by 2040 I'll be surprised if there are that many petrol/diesel cars on sale anyway.  Of course that will start to be a problem for people still using older petrol/diesel vehicles as the petrol stations close down to lack of customer.

Generating capacity will be a problem, but then again the majority will be charging at night when there's surplus capacity anyway, but at the moment that surplus means electricity is cheaper at night, I'm guessing that won't last as electric cars become more commonplace.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:22 am

Petrol heads will have to take holidays in Russia. With their reserves they'll not be giving up on the internal combustion engine any time soon.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#23 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:33 pm

Nice to know they're making their announcements nice and clear, it seems the ban will only be on pure ICE cars, so hybrids will still be fine.

https://www.rte.ie/l...rol-ban-toyota/

So a 6.3 liter 950 bhp LaFerrari will be fine because it can do 30 miles on batteries :D

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:43 pm

I suppose it'll also be alright to use coal/gas powered stations to generate the electricity needed for the zero emissions cars and the govt. will also have to find a way of recompensing themselves for the huge loss of income generated from fuel tax/duty.  What a load o bollox.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:52 pm

Huge increase in "renewable" (although that does include burning wood pellets that have been shipped from America) electricity in recent years, with several occasions this year where we've been running at 100% renewable (thought not entirely sure how that works, I'm sure they don't turn off the coal/oil/gas power stations on windy days), so who knows how much we have by 2040.  

A power station operates at much higher efficiency than a petrol/diesel car, but it'd be interesting to see a comparison with the efficiency of the power distribution and EV drive train.

#26 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:23 pm

I understand the impact on overall power generating requirement for all-electric situation will be very much less than feared. Around 10% on top of the existing, I think,  and with renewables expanding, and the date of 2040 so far off, we should have time to plan for the new world of personal transport. (I will be 91 in 2040 if I'm still here) 

Hopefully by then the UK will have actually put into practice planning policy and highway designs that (like much of Northern Europe) encourage use of bicycles and (electric) buses and trams. This has been the stated objective since mid-60s but the car lobby (far from being "low hanging fruit") still expects to be catered for and politicians attempt to do what they say. When did we last see a cycle path get the direct route across a junction, or priority when the highway narrows? It's common practice in Denmark, Holland and so many other countries, where cyclists (without fancy lycra and helmets) silently cruise along their designated (direct) routes to offices,shops and schools ... yes I know there are no hills in continental Europe.

The daft thing is that many of these places (especially in Germany and Switzerland) actually have higher car ownership than UK, but also greater use of buses and trains, and push bikes. In short people don't have to show how posh they are by using their 4x4 bl..dy car for every single journey they make. And they don't have that infantile, ignorant, cowardly buffoon, Jeremy Clarkson, mincing about on the telly, saying how electric cars are no good because he (!) might want to make a 200 mile commute to work every day. These places build and buy some great cars, but use them a bit more intelligently than we seem to ... and are prepared to develop and finance some great public transport systems to cater for the mundane parts of  moving people around the planet.

So in 2040 the roads might be less congested (we hope) and we enthusiasts can actually enjoy the trips we do make by car or motor-cycle instead of following somebody else's rear number plate for hour after hour as we do now.

Well that's got that out of the way ..

Rant over for another few months

P7  

p.s. ... and of course the Isle of Man TT, as part of its 110 year tradition of leading technology in vehicles, is playing its part by running the TTZero event every year on the most challenging 37 miles road circuit in the world.    

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#27 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:36 pm

so will they ban Eddie Stobart and his lorries? I don't tink so.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:08 am

The efficiency of the grid distribution is above 95%, and at peak times during the day it delivers 55GWh...during the night typically 15GWh, so there's plenty of capacity at night for charging.

Fast charging is the main target and stumbling block, because although the batteries are pretty much ready for it, domestic household electricity supplies aren't. I know that if all my neighbours turned on a 30Amp charger at once there would be trouble ! We're all rated for 60Amps, but not all at the same time i fear

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users