12 replies to this topic

#1 michan

michan

sticking around

• 27 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:25 pm

Hi guys.

I just got a thought of maybe making a thread about the different tools you would need when owning a TDM 900. This would include everything from oil change to more complicated maintenance jobs like valve clearance checks etc.

I have no idea if a thread like this already exists, but I sure would appreciate it if I could check this thread for tool tips instead of having to run to the store midway in the repair/maintenance project.

Is this doable and is there any interest in such a list? I'll edit this post with your tips and tricks. Please state which part of the bike/what kind of service the tools would be needed, and then the tools themselves.

Share your knowledge guys :-)

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:22 pm

best tool I have is a set of 1/2" sockets with Allan key heads and a torque wrench. Use them for every job.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:41 pm

Best tool of all is Carpe-TDM. :D

I think a tool list would be pretty exhaustive, there are many tools needed if you're gonna be working on everything. Some you might use frequently, other perhaps only once.

In additon to the above, a decent set of metric spanners, some paddock stands or Abba stand or centrestand, set of screwdrivers. A multimeter, hammer, grinder and possibly a rawlbolt.  The Yamaha toolkit that comes with the bike has some useful tools for spark plug removal and rear suspension adjustment. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:28 pm

Brake piston removal pliers for maintenance are a great tool to have, recently added a tap and die set, mostly just for cleaning up as i go, pair of axle stands which prop the bike up when used with an Abba stand, the Rawl bolt should be a 12mm, plus the stuff above should cover most jobs, plus feeler blades if doing own valves.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:37 am

I made up a lot of my own special tools, I have  quite a few pinchers, pushers and squeezers, brake disc drilling jigs and a special jig to sort out snapped exhaust studs.

I happen to have machine tools so it's much easier for me but fettle days I go to I always have all the kit with me in case we need to get out of a problem.

There is a special yamaha tool for the swingarm sideplay adjuster and another for correct torque of the head bearings but you can get away without them.

Most jobs can be done with basic tools, unless you want to do big jobs like head bearings replacement or replace the needle bearings in the suspension linkage.

A 43 mm fork bushing tool is helpful and the inner holding tool is a 29mm hex which celticbiker can cut for you if you ask nicely or use a 3/4 UNF bolt (1.1/8" head) welded to a rod. As near as dammit 29mm hex.

Best advice is as above, decent 1/2 socket set and a set of hex driver bits in 1/2 drv.

Don't forget Yamaha san use fine pitch M10 x 1.25 and M12 x 1.25 bolts.

Best advice is to attend a fettle day lots of helpful fellows on hand.

Edited by leehenty, 01 February 2016 - 12:46 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:26 pm

Good link Cliff  :good: 

:rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:56 pm

A bit of witchcraft going on Steve :P  was a post to ebay wot i done checked and was okay,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:45 pm

Just had to send away for a 36mm socket to remove the drive sprocket nut. Doubt it will ever get used again.

#9 fayeslane

fayeslane

seems to like Carpe

• 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:54 am

Just had to send away for a 36mm socket to remove the drive sprocket nut. Doubt it will ever get used again.

Yes it will..............

You have to do the nut up again

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:09 am

Lolzio
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:33 am

Chain and sprocket change time for me as well - 

is  this what I need ? - I have a compressor and air wrench

Dan

#12 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:11 am

thats the one

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#13 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:06 pm

Best tool of all is Carpe-TDM. :D

I think a tool list would be pretty exhaustive, there are many tools needed if you're gonna be working on everything. Some you might use frequently, other perhaps only once.

In additon to the above, a decent set of metric spanners, some paddock stands or Abba stand or centrestand, set of screwdrivers. A multimeter, hammer, grinder and possibly a rawlbolt.  The Yamaha toolkit that comes with the bike has some useful tools for spark plug removal and rear suspension adjustment.  :)

Amen to that brother, all you need is a computer and this site, Magic enough !!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TDM, 900, maintenance, repair, tools, tips and tricks, list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users