Photo
- - - - -

Rattling From The Right Side Of The Engine When Throttling Off.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:35 am

Throttle position sensor, the 9er had an issue with them, sorry don't know specifics.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#22 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:26 am

Believe me Im gonna push for the new version.
But in any case I get your point and Im taking it seriously.

My guess is they only sell the new one

Bjørge

#23 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:29 am

My guess is they only sell the new one

Shame on Yamaha if they don't....

#24 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:17 am

They only sell the superseded one - hence the different colour. If funds are low then go for a used one from 2005 onwards with the longer body otherwise risk a wrecked engine. I'd be surprised if a dealer will give you a freebie if the change was 15 years ago -  Yours should have had the TPS changed to one with a better dust seal (dirt got into the sweeper arm and confused the ECU) From memory, the frame number plate should be marked with a centre punch if it had been done

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#25 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:38 am

Well, I've measured the one on the bike and it is about 38mm which makes it the old tensioner and probably the one it left the factory with.

If they old one is no longer made, then problem solved as far as the dealer is concerned although I will ask them to check it is the same part number as the new one (lifted from JBX's info page) just to be sure.

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:39 am

As Lee Henty pointed out elsewhere. if you take the end bolt from the tensioner out and insert a screwdriver in the bore, you can try taping the plunger to encourage it to slide out a bit more to take up any slack, should it be that the tensioner is sticking

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#27 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:43 pm

Take out 6mm (10mm AF) end bolt. Insert small flat bladed 4mm screwdriver clockwise to right loosens tensioner, anticlockwise to the left tightens it. Only tighten a very small amount 1/16 of a turn. Ideally, set the engine as per JBX page to remove. To put it back you need a T shaped tool to lock it back, tighten mount bolts pull out T tool, it will whizz out to tension chain.

Edited by leehenty, 15 May 2020 - 02:44 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#28 PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 160 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:27 pm

Good day Mates,,
53k+ miles on my 92 Mk1.
Original CCT I believe.
Considering updating to a manual aftermarket tensioner if I can find one 🤔.
I definitely don't need a failure at this time.
Too rare in the States for that. I will gladly order from the UK/EU if anything is available.
Any information or comments on converting the original to a manual is gladly welcome. PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv. USA.

#29 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:56 pm

Good day Mates,,
53k+ miles on my 92 Mk1.
Original CCT I believe.
Considering updating to a manual aftermarket tensioner if I can find one .
I definitely don't need a failure at this time.
Too rare in the States for that. I will gladly order from the UK/EU if anything is available.
Any information or comments on converting the original to a manual is gladly welcome. PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv. USA.

try here

https://www.ebay.co....04AAOSwB8tbl4Yw

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#30 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:34 pm

They kind of look like a slab of aluminium with a coach bolt through to me, wish I'd thought of that for £30 a go. :lol:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#31 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:29 am

How often does a manual tensioner need adjusting?

#32 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:22 am

They kind of look like a slab of aluminium with a coach bolt through to me, wish I'd thought of that for £30 a go. :lol:

I'm sure a standard Camchain body could be modified to accept a bolt

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#33 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:05 am

One quick fix if in a tight spot is to fit a marginally longer bolt in the old style body. I guess in a way its a manual tensioner of sorts.

#34 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:14 pm

One quick fix if in a tight spot is to fit a marginally longer bolt in the old style body. I guess in a way its a manual tensioner of sorts.

I was just thinking about if that works. Sounds like a fix

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#35 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:01 pm

I was just thinking about if that works. Sounds like a fix

If it's any reassurance, it's not my idea!  It's the quick fix if you're on the road from the JBX resource.

#36 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:25 am

They only sell the superseded one - hence the different colour. If funds are low then go for a used one from 2005 onwards with the longer body otherwise risk a wrecked engine. I'd be surprised if a dealer will give you a freebie if the change was 15 years ago -  Yours should have had the TPS changed to one with a better dust seal (dirt got into the sweeper arm and confused the ECU) From memory, the frame number plate should be marked with a centre punch if it had been done

Al the pic. on the previous page has me confused and i thought it may be incorrect as i thought the long bodied CCT was the new uprated one?  

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#37 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:31 pm

New one does have a longer body/barrel Wick. ;)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:11 pm

And a stronger spring. Operating principal is the same.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#39 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:45 pm

New one does have a longer body/barrel Wick. ;)

So is the info on that pic on the previous page incorrect?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#40 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:03 am

That picture comes from the JBX website.  Measuring from the gasket face to the top where the lock screw is used, the longer (38mm) body is the old version, and the shorter (34mm) is the newer version. So externally the difference is not easy to spot without calipers, but internally (inside the engine) they are very different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users